Criterion Random Speculation Vol.1

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Cinephrenic

#201 Post by Cinephrenic » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:26 pm

If Criterion announce that they will be releasing Il Conformista, I will need to be sedated! I can't think of a bigger Criterion bombshell.
With that and 1900 with both versions and the doctumentary. Paramount had such a problem releasing it in the theaters originally anyhow with the lenght of the film. I wonder why they wouldn't just let Criterion release it because I doubt it would sell to the average consumer.

Gordon

#202 Post by Gordon » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:51 pm

I doubt it would sell to the average consumer.
Not if you slap De Niro on the cover at state, "STARRING ROBERT DE NIRO".

To be honest, I can't see Paramount leasing any of their films. They know that there are more than a few film buffs out there who badly want The Conformist on DVD.

justeleblanc

#203 Post by justeleblanc » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:05 am

I'm actually waiting for Criterion to announce their releasing of Lars von Trier's Riget and Riget II. It will be announced for August, along with Albert Brooks's Modern Romance (w/ his complete short films on disc 2) and Peter Greenaway's 4 American Composers.

Theodore R. Stockton

#204 Post by Theodore R. Stockton » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:24 am

I'm waiting for Criterion to announce the Cynthia Rothrock Collection box set. Though it may be part of the Cult Films line.

mmiesner

#205 Post by mmiesner » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:02 am

i need to be forgiven in advance if my skills of picking up sarcasm are not exactly up to par in this thread, but JusteLeblanc clearly states that Criterion is going to release von Trier's 'Riget I & II'... is this true? because if it is, i am selling my crappy korean copies - this series deserves some better treatment. and Greenaway's '4 American Composers'? not too excited for that one, but i would get it anyway because Greenaway is closer to being God than Pope Benji is. please please please tell me i am not just an idiot missing sarcasm here... please...

justeleblanc

#206 Post by justeleblanc » Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:14 pm

It was late night sarcasm on my part, meant only for the Random Speculation thread. Sorry to confuse.

Well, I once asked JM if they were going to release Zentropa or The Kingdom on DVD and he replied with "We have no plans to release Zentropa." Do with that what you will.

I then asked JM about Modern Romance and he said no. I responded with "It would be awesome though, wouldn't it?" and he then responded "Yes, it would be."

As for 4 American Composers, he responded with a no the same day they announced Tanner 88. I saw this as a sign since two months prior I asked about Tanner and he nixed it.

mmiesner

#207 Post by mmiesner » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:32 pm

well... i only cried a little bit when i read your response. not near as much as i did when some fucker posted the fake catalogue with Viridiana in it... grrrrrr.... just as long as nobody posts something saying that they are releasing a Kenneth Anger or Maya Deren box set i think the veins in my wrists are safe. thanks for the clarification though

Cinephrenic

#208 Post by Cinephrenic » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:28 pm

hey watch it.

mmiesner

#209 Post by mmiesner » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:31 pm

no offense meant cinephrenic - if anything i am jealous i didn't think of it at first.

Cinephrenic

#210 Post by Cinephrenic » Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:41 pm

cool. :lol:

Gordon

#211 Post by Gordon » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:51 pm

Interesting to note that a fake Criterion catalogue was created and that it successfully duped the public in the same month that Criterion released Orson Welles' stunning, F for Fake. Did you have this film in mind at the time, cinephrenic? When did you get the idea? How did you pull it off? Have you ever done anything like this before? Brilliant work, my boy! Bravo!

Cinephrenic

#212 Post by Cinephrenic » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:10 pm

It started with the recent catalog posted. I was wondering its originality when I saw two more Suzuki films soon after a few months of two previous films being released. It wasn't a common move by Criterion. So I was playing around (obviously bored) with photoshop and see if it could be done. Well it worked. I do have a fascination of trickery. But Welles is the genius.

Ted Todorov

#213 Post by Ted Todorov » Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:24 am

I'd like to randomly speculate that Criterion is getting Hail the Conquering Hero. Universal has announced it for R2 - UK, but not R1, so this might be another Kagemusha situation, where Fox' non-R1 releases preceded it by over a year.

justeleblanc

#214 Post by justeleblanc » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:37 am

Ted Todorov wrote:I'd like to randomly speculate that Criterion is getting Hail the Conquering Hero. Universal has announced it for R2 - UK, but not R1, so this might be another Kagemusha situation, where Fox' non-R1 releases preceded it by over a year.
Or Unfaithfully Yours, where the same thing occured. But am I the only one who didn't like Hero? To me it falls in that very formulaic period of Sturges's life. Is Hero even Criterion worthy? Would Criterion turn down from releasing a film because they felt it was "fenh"?

Ted Todorov

#215 Post by Ted Todorov » Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:51 am

JusteLeblanc wrote: But am I the only one who didn't like Hero? To me it falls in that very formulaic period of Sturges's life. Is Hero even Criterion worthy? Would Criterion turn down from releasing a film because they felt it was "fenh"?
To me it is unequivacally Criterion worthy. I think it is up there with Sturges' best work.

mmiesner

#216 Post by mmiesner » Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:38 pm

as far as Criterion refusing to release something because it is subpar... dare i say armageddon? dare i say chasing amy? but in the case of the Sturges, it could also be simply that they like the director, so they will release anything by them, as in the case of Pasolini - they can't acquire the rights to his best work, so they just release whatever they can. am i making sense? but i must also note, i have not seen Hero, or any Sturges for that matter, so maybe my opinion doesn't count.

Sai

#217 Post by Sai » Tue May 03, 2005 1:19 pm

Dear Simon,

We look forward to releasing some Mizoguchi in the coming year.

Best,
JM

On 5/1/05 12:58 PM, "Simon Catz" <-> wrote:

> Sender: Simon Catz
> Email: -
> Question Type: Question
> Comment: Dear John,
>
> back in 2003 you indicated that Criterion was working on some Mizoguchi,
> which would hopefully come out in 2003/4. Has the production on these
> titles been halted or is there still some Mizoguchi coming? Is Ugetsu
> Monogatari one of them?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Simon Catz, Amsterdam
>
>

Sai

#218 Post by Sai » Tue May 03, 2005 1:48 pm

Because I suck at English: does 'in the coming year' mean 'in the rest of this year' or 'in the next year'? In Dutch both are possible, so, that's an excuse. Thank you.

And I find it suspicious that he didn't answer the specific sub-question about TM. This could of course be because Criterion giving out specific information regarding upcoming releases is like Matt posting at criterionforum.com, but it also seems likely that an-/some other title(s) have been chosen. I thought Annie Mall already named a possibility in the Suzuki-thread, but since this is the random speculation-thread: feel free to speculate.

FilmFanSea

#219 Post by FilmFanSea » Tue May 03, 2005 1:59 pm

Sai wrote:Because I suck at English: does 'in the coming year' mean 'in the rest of this year' or 'in the next year'? In Dutch both are possible, so, that's an excuse. Thank you.
Though it's meaning is (intentionally?) vague, I would take it to mean "in the next 12 months."

Dr. Mabuse

#220 Post by Dr. Mabuse » Tue May 03, 2005 4:58 pm

"We hope to release more Bergman, Fellini, and Hitchcock in the future, but nothing is certain at this time. " JM

I threw in Cassavetes (the actor) as I was expecting a release of Johnny Staccato based on a screening advert on Criterions homepage a couple of months ago. No luck with that one.

Any thoughts on the Bergman, Fellini and Hitchcock?

Question Type: Question
Comment: Any chance of seeing more Bergman, Cassavetes (the actor), Fellini and Hitchcock in the collection soon?

Cinephrenic

#221 Post by Cinephrenic » Tue May 03, 2005 5:08 pm

Fellini? Casanova or Il Bidone? Does anyone know if the MGM's Roma and Satyricon going out-of-print?

justeleblanc

#222 Post by justeleblanc » Tue May 03, 2005 5:42 pm

I'm not that well-versed in Bergman's catalogue, but which films have yet to be released on DVD and could be released by Criterion? I know there was talk of SUMMER WITH MONIKA and maybe FACE TO FACE. Is there anything else?

What A Disgrace

#223 Post by What A Disgrace » Tue May 03, 2005 6:28 pm

JusteLeblanc wrote:I'm not that well-versed in Bergman's catalogue, but which films have yet to be released on DVD and could be released by Criterion? I know there was talk of SUMMER WITH MONIKA and maybe FACE TO FACE. Is there anything else?
The Virgin Spring and The Magician are very likely releases, also...I have a feeling the former will be the next Bergman release.

Steven H

#224 Post by Steven H » Wed May 04, 2005 3:25 am

Sai wrote:Dear Simon,

We look forward to releasing some Mizoguchi in the coming year.

Best,
JM
I like the word "some".

Dr. Mabuse

#225 Post by Dr. Mabuse » Wed May 04, 2005 3:50 am

Bergman: "Fanny & Alexander" included introductions for "Summer with Monika", "Sawdust and Tinsel" and "A lesson in love". I guess any of those titles could be included in the collection.