Criterion Newsletter

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#801 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:41 pm

You're posting on a board which has a large portion of members who regularly champion the work of Michael Mann, so you're not anywhere close to having posted the most embarrassing opinion here. It's not like I resorted to name-calling (yet), just giving some good natured ribbing-- something all of us posting here have been on the receiving end of at least once, I'm sure. If you feel the need to get over-sensitive about your film preferences, perhaps you should not be posting on the internet.

Antoine Doinel

#802 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:54 pm

a.khan wrote:So, Rian Johnson is apparently...an important director.
I guess your earlier feelings on Brick have changed?
Rian Johnson's debut film has strong visual vitality; it manages quiet moments with the most urgent in scenes. Consider the part in the film when Brendan walks past a black mustang and notice how it sits there in peaceful solitude, empty without its master, and then hear the wind gently whistle; then witness a sudden explosion of violence. It reminded me of Gus Van Sant's austerity and minimalism in "Elephant" which may be writer-director Rian Johnson's primary visual influence. (Edit: I'm pasting this entry from my journal, which was written many months ago. Fletch's point about the “Miller's Crossingâ€

Harold Gervais

#803 Post by Harold Gervais » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:01 pm

domino harvey wrote:You're posting on a board which has a large portion of members who regularly champion the work of Michael Mann, so you're not anywhere close to having posted the most embarrassing opinion here. It's not like I resorted to name-calling (yet), just giving some good natured ribbing-- something all of us posting here have been on the receiving end of at least once, I'm sure. If you feel the need to get over-sensitive about your film preferences, perhaps you should not be posting on the internet.
That is the thing domino, I'm not the over-sensitive type. I'm commenting on what I've seen over the years. This board can be quick to take the shot, especially on people with post counts on the low side and then pile on. And lord help anyone who says anything about it. I've seen it too many times. Oh and a threat to name-call. Nice. Of course the funny thing is I wasn't really expressing a preference, I was just saying Brick was a pretty good debut and based on that first film, the guy has a lot of potential.

Like I said, this can be a great place. Lots of different people with lots of passionate views and a truly amazing breadth of knowledge. It is everything the internet should be and a great resource. The childish shots at the drop of a hat are sadly very often what the internet is.

Harold Gervais

#804 Post by Harold Gervais » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:50 pm

And back on-topic, it would be nice if a major chain is going to have a sale on Criterion DVDs that they communicate with their individual stores that there is indeed going to be a sale. My local B&N had no clue about the 30% off event featured in the Criterion newsletter and when she called the other local store, they were equally in the dark. It took me jumping on her computer and pulling up the Barnes & Noble site to get her to take me seriously. That look I got off of the manager thinking I was crazy turning into embarrassed shock was priceless.

souvenir

#805 Post by souvenir » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:24 pm

So did the prices ring up as 30% off on Criterions in-store?

Jeff

#806 Post by Jeff » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:32 pm

I assumed that Criterion was in error when they said that the sale applied to in-store purchases too. This page on the BN site says "On-Line Exclusive," and while I've seen several Criterion titles marked 15% off in stores, I haven't seen any marked 30%. Glad you were able to get the deal though, Harold.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#807 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:50 pm

Harold Gervais wrote:My local B&N had no clue about the 30% off event featured in the Criterion newsletter and when she called the other local store, they were equally in the dark. It took me jumping on her computer and pulling up the Barnes & Noble site to get her to take me seriously. That look I got off of the manager thinking I was crazy turning into embarrassed shock was priceless.
You conned them. That's bee-yoo-ti-ful!

Harold Gervais

#808 Post by Harold Gervais » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:11 pm

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:
Harold Gervais wrote:My local B&N had no clue about the 30% off event featured in the Criterion newsletter and when she called the other local store, they were equally in the dark. It took me jumping on her computer and pulling up the Barnes & Noble site to get her to take me seriously. That look I got off of the manager thinking I was crazy turning into embarrassed shock was priceless.
You conned them. That's bee-yoo-ti-ful!
I guess I conned myself as well since I was working off the information in the newsletter.

LeeB.Sims

#809 Post by LeeB.Sims » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:39 pm

For some reason, no matter how many times I sign up for the newsletter and ensure that they have my correct email address, I never get it. Can someone post a link to it for me? It's the only way I ever get to read them.

dadaistnun

#810 Post by dadaistnun » Thu Aug 09, 2007 12:41 pm

LeeB.Sims

#811 Post by LeeB.Sims » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:04 pm

Geez, two whole minutes after I asked? What took you so long?

Thank you.

LeeB.Sims

#812 Post by LeeB.Sims » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:11 pm

It's disappointing that Rian Johnson didn't write a short paragraph about why he chose these films as his top ten, as most directors in this featured column have in the past. It kind of defeats the whole purpose of asking for his opinion and becomes just another exercise in list-making.

kinjitsu

#813 Post by kinjitsu » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:20 pm

Just in case you missed them:

January - February - March - April - May - June - July

a.khan

#814 Post by a.khan » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:03 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote:
No, my feelings haven't changed. To clarify, my last comment questioned, on purely subjective terms, Rian Johnson's *importance* in the circle of great filmmakers. (Oh, and that there is only a mildly positive review of the film. But thank you for digging up my post; I appreciate your interest.)

On Johnson, I have absolutely no issues with statements like "this guy has potential," because, frankly, he does. But so does Richard Kelly. Would we want to see him hawking his top ten DVDs? (Don't answer!)

If I am slightly vexed at the thought of Mr. Rian Johnson -- with his one, debut film as alleged proof of genius -- being mentioned in the space shared by Bergman, Antonioni and Buñuel, then write me up, because I'm guilty as charged.

Who am I to argue with Criterion's decision to pick Johnson for a newsletter feature. But I do reserve the right to my opinion, a liberty Domino Harvey had, at the very outset, made clear. I don't believe anyone's right to have a different opinion was ever called into question. So why all this ballyhoo and accusations of elitism?

jaredsap

#815 Post by jaredsap » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:24 pm

a.khan wrote:If I am slightly vexed at the thought of Mr. Rian Johnson -- with his one, debut film as alleged proof of genius -- being mentioned in the space shared by Bergman, Antonioni and Buñuel, then write me up, because I'm guilty as charged.
No one in this thread has alleged or even insinuated that Rian is a genius, or that he deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as some of the greatest filmmakers of all time. But, like it or not, the Criterion Collection is not reserved strictly for the masters.

justeleblanc

#816 Post by justeleblanc » Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:28 pm

jaredsap wrote:
a.khan wrote:If I am slightly vexed at the thought of Mr. Rian Johnson -- with his one, debut film as alleged proof of genius -- being mentioned in the space shared by Bergman, Antonioni and Buñuel, then write me up, because I'm guilty as charged.
No one in this thread has alleged or even insinuated that Rian is a genius, or that he deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as some of the greatest filmmakers of all time. But, like it or not, the Criterion Collection is not reserved strictly for the masters.
Oh come on. This is getting petty -- what has Michael Bay every done to you! O:)

arsonfilms

#817 Post by arsonfilms » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:04 pm

In the hopes of maybe ending the griping about Michael Bay and anyone else who started making movies within the last 20 years, I'd like to point out that the list of people who AREN'T Bergman, Antonioni or Bunuel is very long. In fact, in the whole wide world there are only three people who will find themselves on the list of people who are Bergman, Antonioni or Bunuel.

Look, Brick was really good. Better than plenty of films in the collection, in fact. Obviously Rian Johnson isn't one of the masters, but you can hardly fault him for that - the guy's only done one film, and as first films go I daresay he's got a lot of the masters beat.

tryavna

#818 Post by tryavna » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:08 pm

arsonfilms wrote:In fact, in the whole wide world there are only three people who will find themselves on the list of people who are Bergman, Antonioni or Bunuel.
Renoir must be turning over in his grave....

justeleblanc

#819 Post by justeleblanc » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:19 pm

tryavna wrote:
arsonfilms wrote:In fact, in the whole wide world there are only three people who will find themselves on the list of people who are Bergman, Antonioni or Bunuel.
I assume we're talking about Andrew Bergman and Juan Luis Bunuel?

Antoine Doinel

#820 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:22 pm

a.khan wrote:
Antoine Doinel wrote:
No, my feelings haven't changed. To clarify, my last comment questioned, on purely subjective terms, Rian Johnson's *importance* in the circle of great filmmakers. (Oh, and that there is only a mildly positive review of the film.
Mildly positive? You draw comparisons The Godfather, Vertigo and Elephant.

If that's mild, I can't imagine what an all out rave would be.

justeleblanc

#821 Post by justeleblanc » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:54 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote:
a.khan wrote:
Antoine Doinel wrote:I guess your earlier feelings on Brick have changed?
No, my feelings haven't changed. To clarify, my last comment questioned, on purely subjective terms, Rian Johnson's *importance* in the circle of great filmmakers. (Oh, and that there is only a mildly positive review of the film.
Mildly positive? You draw comparisons The Godfather, Vertigo and Elephant.

If that's mild, I can't imagine what an all out rave would be.
Are Michael Bay jokes still funny? Let me know cause I have a great one-liner that would be HYSTERICAL here.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#822 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:02 pm

Judges?

We'll allow it

arsonfilms

#823 Post by arsonfilms » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:09 pm

tryavna wrote:
I think my point was that more than just Renoir oughtta be rolling over in their graves that only a handful of people are worthy enough to be watched.

justeleblanc

#824 Post by justeleblanc » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:15 pm

domino harvey wrote:Judges?

We'll allow it
The moment passed.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#825 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:21 pm

justeleblanc wrote:
domino harvey wrote:Judges?

We'll allow it
The moment passed.