Criterion Newsletter

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Jeff

#776 Post by Jeff » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:18 am

souvenir wrote:I anxiously await the supplements to these Lubitsch releases. Criterion seem strained in the other two films put out in terms of extra material. I'd love to see something a littler meatier. With all the Lubitsch releases on the DVD market, there is very, very little background on his films or him, with the exception of the commentary on Trouble in Paradise.
In addition to The Marriage Circle and the French version of One Hour With You and that I mentioned earlier, I would be very happy to see this feature-length German documentary, though I suppose it's mostly about his pre-Hollywood career.

ianungstad

#777 Post by ianungstad » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:20 am

Pardon my ignorance; there a lot of criterions that I have yet to see, but have they ever released a musical in the past?

kaujot

#778 Post by kaujot » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:21 am

ianungstad wrote:Pardon my ignorance; there a lot of criterions that I have yet to see, but have they ever released a musical in the past?
The Ruling Class, sort of.

Jeff

#779 Post by Jeff » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:51 am

Here is a good article on the behind-the-scenes wrangling between Cukor and Lubitsch over credit on One Hour With You.

I must admit that I don't know what's up with that Wacky Raccoon. Is he related to one of these, or from a previous Criterion release?

souvenir

#780 Post by souvenir » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:52 am

Jeff wrote:I would be very happy to see this feature-length German documentary, though I suppose it's mostly about his pre-Hollywood career.
That sounds great, apparently including interviews with the director of Run, Lola, Run (for the kids!). If not this apparent Criterion set then maybe MoC could put it on their Lubitsch silents box?

Ashirg

#781 Post by Ashirg » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:00 am

domino harvey wrote:Eisenstein the Sound Years: Coming Soon
you're late by about 6 years. You must mean Silent Years.

a.khan

#782 Post by a.khan » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:08 am

So, Rian Johnson is apparently...an important director.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#783 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:38 am

Ashirg wrote:you're late by about 6 years. You must mean Silent Years.
That's what I get for having Roger Ebert proofread my post

CSM126

#784 Post by CSM126 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:17 am

ianungstad wrote:Pardon my ignorance; there a lot of criterions that I have yet to see, but have they ever released a musical in the past?
Le Million, Under the Roofs of Paris, A nous la liberte
a.khan wrote:So, Rian Johnson is apparently...an important director.
Just like Michael Bay. :D

Antoine Doinel

#785 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Aug 08, 2007 9:47 am

So can expect Rian Johnson as a future commentator? Perhaps his Brothers Bloom may find itself in the Criterion lineup?

justeleblanc

#786 Post by justeleblanc » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:07 am

CSM126 wrote:
A Woman is a Woman?

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#787 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:23 am

justeleblanc wrote:
CSM126 wrote:
A Woman is a Woman?
Tales of Hoffman, kinda. It's actually an opera, but what are you going to do?

tryavna

#788 Post by tryavna » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:46 am

ianungstad wrote:I haven't seen much Lubitsch, but did love Heaven Can Wait.
If you liked Heaven Can Wait, then chances are that you'll like just about anything Lubitsch made. (That movie, like The Student Prince in Old Heidelberg, seems to be a test case for just how much latitude you're willing to give Lubitsch in terms of sacrificing plot for character and "atmosphere.") But the better test case would be The Merry Widow, which is obviously closer to the other titles we're talking about here, since it's also a musical. As a Warners property, it pops up on TCM quite regularly and will surely come on that channel again before this Criterion release.

BTW, as someone who already owns Image's excellent release of The Marriage Circle, I'd rather see something else included as an extra.

Jonny Pasadena

#789 Post by Jonny Pasadena » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:14 pm

The upcoming Threepenny Opera disc would qualify as a musical as well, no?

mikeohhh

#790 Post by mikeohhh » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:49 pm

Jeff wrote:I must admit that I don't know what's up with that Wacky Raccoon. Is he related to one of these, or from a previous Criterion release?
he's from Trouble in Paradise

LightBulbFilm

#791 Post by LightBulbFilm » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:10 pm

The harsh words toward Rian Johnson are un-necessary. I don't know why you guys wouldn't consider him a good director. He proved he can make a great film when he made Brick.

CSM126

#792 Post by CSM126 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:17 pm

LightBulbFilm wrote:The harsh words toward Rian Johnson are un-necessary. I don't know why you guys wouldn't consider him a good director. He proved he can make a great film when he made Brick.
Well that's your opinion. Maybe other people have other opinions. You can't really say he "proved" his greatness, when greatness is a subjective thing. "Eye of the beholder" and all that.

Harold Gervais

#793 Post by Harold Gervais » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:37 pm

I don't know about important but Brick was one of the better debut films I've seen in the past 5 or 10 years. The guy has potential. I swear this board sometimes....zero to snotty in less time than it takes to say the word.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#794 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:52 pm

Harold Gervais wrote:
I don't know about important but Brick was one of the better debut films I've seen in the past 5 or 10 years. The guy has potential. I swear this board sometimes....zero to snotty in less time than it takes to say the word.
link 2 ur FacebookFlixster acct plz

reaky

#795 Post by reaky » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:36 pm

"Chevalier will be cutting in..." because the son-of-a-gun is nothing but a tailor. It must be Love Me Tonight.

Harold Gervais

#796 Post by Harold Gervais » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:00 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Harold Gervais wrote:
I don't have any clue about what you are talking about. Sorry.

tavernier

#797 Post by tavernier » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:04 pm

domino harvey wrote:I don't know about important but Brick was one of the better debut films I've seen in the past 5 or 10 years. The guy has potential. I swear this board sometimes....zero to snotty in less time than it takes to say the word.
link 2 ur FacebookFlixster acct plz[/quote]
=D> =D>

Jaime_Weinman

#798 Post by Jaime_Weinman » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:12 pm

reaky wrote:"Chevalier will be cutting in..." because the son-of-a-gun is nothing but a tailor. It must be Love Me Tonight.
I just hope that The Smiling Lieutenant makes it in, even though it doesn't have MacDonald. It was Lubitsch's first collaboration with Samson Raphaelson, and to the famed "Lubitsch Touch" they added a new strain of whimsical, deadpan, sometimes surreal humor that talkies hadn't had up to that point. Every time I've seen it with an audience, there's laughter all the way through and applause at the end; it works better with an audience than some of Lubitsch's better-known movies.

An odd thing about Lubitsch's musicals is that they often don't have a lot of musical numbers. With Smiling Lieutenant and The Merry Widow he took popular operettas and cut out almost all the songs, relegating them to background music. (He also had Rodgers and Hart write new songs for Merry Widow and didn't use any of them.) Mamoulian's Love Me Tonight has better musical numbers, though Lubitsch's movies are stronger in the dialogue/comedy scenes -- if you put their respective strengths together with the Chevalier/MacDonald team, you'd have the perfect musical.

Harold Gervais

#799 Post by Harold Gervais » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:29 pm

tavernier wrote:
domino harvey wrote:
Harold Gervais wrote: I don't know about important but Brick was one of the better debut films I've seen in the past 5 or 10 years. The guy has potential. I swear this board sometimes....zero to snotty in less time than it takes to say the word.
=D> =D>
You know this board is one of the most informative & educational of any film related sites on the web. I have learned so much and discovered so many films, directors & movements through this place that I had never heard of before that I consider this place to be a treasure trove for any one who cares at all about film, its history & its future. The downside has always been the way it treats with scorn & mockery anyone who dares imply that sometimes people around here take themselves a little seriously or if they are percieved as not being as committed to film as others. I suppose it's why I've been around for several years but have such a low post count. Dealing with the bs of saying anything "wrong" just isn't worth it.

ezmbmh

#800 Post by ezmbmh » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:33 pm

Harold, my feelings exactly.