HistoryProf

Re: Fox and Universal Licenses

#151 Post by HistoryProf » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:50 am

MoonlitKnight wrote:My wish list for top 5 releases from both studios:

1. "Taking Off" (Milos Forman, 1971) UNIVERSAL
2. "Comfort and Joy" (Bill Forsyth, 1984) UNIVERSAL
3. "The Incident" (Larry Peerce, 1967) FOX
4. "Sons and Lovers" (Jack Cardiff, 1960) FOX
5. "Resurrection" (Daniel Petrie, 1980) UNIVERSAL/"Tell Them Willie Boy Is Here" (Abraham Polonsky, 1969) FOX
After years of wanting to see it i finally caught Tell Them Willie Boy is Here" off of TCM tonight. Man what a fantastic film. Apparently it was completed before Butch and Sundance, but held until after hoping that there would be some spill over success. Polonsky was also a blacklist victim of McCarthy's...making me wonder if some of that is still keeping this out of the dvd market.

Despite casting Robert Blake as a Paiute Indian, the film is very very good and a quintessential "70s" film with understated realism. John Ford, this is not.

Anyway...any word on this from any corner of the movie universe? What are the chances something like this could end up in the Criterion Collection?

zachhh

#152 Post by zachhh » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:36 am

does FOX still own the rights to Attenborough's "Magic"? I would love a nice release. I believe there's only a barebones MPI dvd available to purchase.

AfterTheRain

#153 Post by AfterTheRain » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:38 am

zachhh wrote:does FOX still own the rights to Attenborough's "Magic"? I would love a nice release. I believe there's only a barebones MPI dvd available to purchase.
I've seen it on TV with the Paramount logo preceding the film, but I'm not sure if Fox has it or Paramount does. I also know there is a 2-disc Dark Sky release of the film available.

flyonthewall2983

#154 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:42 pm

This may be purely a pipe dream on my part, but would there be a good chance for Public Enemies to join the Collection? The recent exchange of the Do The Right Thing features makes me think the CC would have a big Universal title up their sleeve, and what better one than this one.

zachhh

#155 Post by zachhh » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:44 am

i've always been pissed that Universal has done nothing with any Veronica Lake films such as I Married a Witch!, The Blue Dahlia, The Glass Key. Clearly theres a rights issue to release them here in the states since the three have been released in R2 regions?

Ashirg

#156 Post by Ashirg » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:54 am

I Married a Witch is not Universal. It's currently owned by Castle Hill.

Jonathan S

#157 Post by Jonathan S » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:34 am

The UK DVD of I Married a Witch is a poor quality unofficial release from Orbit Media, though the BBC show a nice transfer quite regularly. As to the other two titles, they are among a list of Paramount classics (e.g. WC Fields and Dietrich films) that Universal has decided to release over here but not in the States. But then there are plenty of old British movies that have only been released in the US!

tojoed

#158 Post by tojoed » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:18 pm

There's a Madman region 4 release of I Married a Witch, which I'm sure is a good one.

Jeff

#159 Post by Jeff » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:41 pm

tojoed wrote:There's a Madman region 4 release of I Married a Witch, which I'm sure is a good one.
Criterion has acquired the rights to I Married a Witch from The Caidin Trust. They've got a full slate, so who knows when they'll get to it, but it's in the queue.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#160 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:59 pm

Sometimes the only thing that gets me out bed in the morning is knowing that I Married a Witch coming out on Criterion eventually

tojoed

#161 Post by tojoed » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:07 am

Jeff wrote:Criterion has acquired the rights to I Married a Witch from The Caidin Trust. They've got a full slate, so who knows when they'll get to it, but it's in the queue.
Thanks, Jeff. It's good to know that Criterion will be getting to it eventually. I would have bought the Madman, but they suffer from, what we doctors call, Optimum Syndrome - an irrational hatred of the deaf.

alandau

#162 Post by alandau » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:38 am

Just watched I Married a Witch recently on youtube. It was a chilhood favourite that sadly lives up to the hype that sometimes you SHOULD not relive your childhood memories. It's boring and contrived (as is most Clair's work). Give me a Dieterle 40's fantasy-romance anytime.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#163 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:50 pm

Wrong. It totally lives up to alandau's memories

zachhh

#164 Post by zachhh » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:00 pm

alandau thinks it was a refreshingly whimsical comedy

ianungstad

#165 Post by ianungstad » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:15 am

With Bigger than Life already solicited and Night Train to Munich and The Thin Red Line seemingly in production, what other gems should Criterion try and license now that we are starting to see titles from Fox again?

My three biggest wants are Viva Zapata, Wild River, Five Fingers.

It would also be amazing if Fox would let Criterion do a special edition of The Innocents. I've always been surprised that Fox has never done a special edition of their own.

I've never seen the film but I always thought The Left Hand of God sounded interesting and something that might interest Criterion.

Jeff

#166 Post by Jeff » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:04 am

ianungstad wrote:[W]hat other gems should Criterion try and license now that we are starting to see titles from Fox again?
Lubitsch's Cluny Brown, the forever unavailable The Brasher Doubloon, Siodmak's long-rumored Cry of the City, Pretty Poison (current U.S. disc is bare bones)...and, because I'm a completist, John Huston's The Kremlin Letter and Altman's HEALTH.

jaredsap

#167 Post by jaredsap » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:36 am

ianungstad wrote:Wild River, Five Fingers
These are on iTunes by the way. WILD RIVER in HD. Fox has it ready to go should Criterion convince them to give it up...

Some additional picks:

DEADLINE U.S.A.
NO DOWN PAYMENT
VIOLENT SATURDAY
THE RAID
THE BOWERY
A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN

Highway 61

#168 Post by Highway 61 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:38 am

ianungstad wrote:what other gems should Criterion try and license now that we are starting to see titles from Fox again?
I'd be happy with any Preminger. The man is long overdue for a scholarly release. Though I've never seen it, his Le Courbeau remake would have been a natural choice for Criterion, but now that the Clouzot is going OOP, I doubt they'll touch it. His widescreen films would also look stunning on Blu, I'm sure.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#169 Post by domino harvey » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:59 am

A Preminger at Fox Eclipse set with Forever Amber, A Royal Scandal, Margin For Error, Centennial Summer, In the Meantime Darling, the Fan, and the Thirteenth Letter would be IDEAL. If seven is too many, maybe drop Forever Amber and the 13th Letter and make it a Preminger's Comedies set?

None of his widescreen films are Fox except Carmen Jones and River of No Return, which are already out in fine editions.

ianungstad

#170 Post by ianungstad » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:28 pm

Fox certainly hasn't been very kind to Elia Kazan, that's for sure! You almost have to wonder if someone at the studio is still holding a grudge against Kazan or something. Any of the Kazan's that have been listed would be great. We could toss Man on a Tightrope and Boomerang on the list too.

Haven't seen either but I've seen many people make requests for both The Flim-Flam Man and The Incident.

Cronenfly

#171 Post by Cronenfly » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:46 pm

jaredsap wrote:VIOLENT SATURDAY
Amish Ernest Borgnine!

HistoryProf

#172 Post by HistoryProf » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:26 pm

ianungstad wrote:With Bigger than Life already solicited and Night Train to Munich and The Thin Red Line seemingly in production, what other gems should Criterion try and license now that we are starting to see titles from Fox again?

My three biggest wants are Viva Zapata, Wild River, Five Fingers.

It would also be amazing if Fox would let Criterion do a special edition of The Innocents. I've always been surprised that Fox has never done a special edition of their own.

I've never seen the film but I always thought The Left Hand of God sounded interesting and something that might interest Criterion.
Ooo....the Innocents would be fantastic! classic horror is definitely under-represented in the collection, and The Innocents is a profoundly important contribution to the genre...and the fox disc is atrocious.

ianungstad

#173 Post by ianungstad » Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:34 pm

What's wrong with the Fox disc? I thought the transfer and audio were good. I just didn't like that it only came with the trailer in terms of supplements.

tojoed

#174 Post by tojoed » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:26 pm

The Fox disc is , indeed, very good, I don't know what the Prof was watching. However, the BFI disc is sensational.

zachhh

#175 Post by zachhh » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:48 pm

speaking of Preminger, i would love to see Saint Joan in R1 finally