Criterion and Fox / MGM / Universal

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

Re: Fox and Universal Licenses

#251 Post by Brian C » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:48 am

We're getting ahead of ourselves now, right? Is there any "deal"? Criterion's been licensing from Universal throughout the DVD era, and it just so happens that some of the titles have the Focus label attached. That's all that's going on here, right? No reason to expect a sudden flood of Focus titles in particular, is there?

onedimension

#252 Post by onedimension » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:04 pm

The life of a repo man is always intense!

colinr0380

#253 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:36 pm

Hopefully not 21 Grams - I don't mind the film as a whole but that was one of the more egregious examples of under utilising Charlotte Gainsbourg (next to the far worse Ma Femme est une actrice). If Criterion must release another Gainsbourg film, make it The Cement Garden!

jwd5275

#254 Post by jwd5275 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:46 pm

Looking over those films, the Dardennes' Rosetta still do not have an US dvd release....

knives

#255 Post by knives » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:50 pm

Or an in print UK.

ianungstad

#256 Post by ianungstad » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:13 pm

Now if they could find a way for Image to sublicense Adaptation...

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#257 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:40 pm

It's already coming out on Blu-ray from Image, it's probably not going to get a Criterion release on top of that.

ianungstad

#258 Post by ianungstad » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:46 am

True, but Image seems to be going the barebones route with Adaptation, Fisher King,etc.

If they are going to tie the rights up for the next few years, you would hope they could sublicense so we could see something better than their budget oriented approach.

dwk

#259 Post by dwk » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:40 am

Image's deal with Sony may forbid them from sublicensing the films to another company.

Hell, for all we know the deal may, like Twilight Time's deal, not allow Image to create new special features. (Which would explain why the releases are either barebones or only have old special features.)

captveg

#260 Post by captveg » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:23 pm

dwk wrote:Image's deal with Sony may forbid them from sublicensing the films to another company.

Hell, for all we know the deal may, like Twilight Time's deal, not allow Image to create new special features. (Which would explain why the releases are either barebones or only have old special features.)
I'd say it's almost assuredly the case that Image is limited to existing bonus content.

ianungstad

#261 Post by ianungstad » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:25 pm

It will be interesting to see what happens with Moonrise Kingdom. The film is techically an indie financed by Indian Paintbrush but picked up for distribution by Focus. I could see Wes having a criterion stipulation as part of that deal. James seems to be a criterion nut as well. (really how often does criterion invite studio heads/screenwriters to do commentary tracks?)

captveg

#262 Post by captveg » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:26 pm

As far as potential Focus titles, I can see them trying to release The Pianist due to their working relationship with Polanski. It also does not yet have a US Blu-ray release.

dwk

#263 Post by dwk » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:05 pm

captveg wrote:
dwk wrote:Image's deal with Sony may forbid them from sublicensing the films to another company.

I'd say it's almost assuredly the case that Image is limited to existing bonus content.
That is such a weird restriction. I guess Sony put that in so if a particular title ends up being a big seller, they can re-release a special edition down the line.

As for Focus titles, does anyone know if they have the rights to Dellamorte Dellamore? It was released by October Films and those films are now with Focus Features. So, I guess its rights are either with Focus or have gone back to the films producers, but I haven't been able to find which it is. (Fox used to have the home video rights, but Cliff Mac from Shout Factory said they told him they no longer owned it.)

Cronenfly

#264 Post by Cronenfly » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:15 pm

dwk wrote:As for Focus titles, does anyone know if they have the rights to Dellamorte Dellamore? It was released by October Films and those films are now with Focus Features. So, I guess its rights are either with Focus or have gone back to the films producers, but I haven't been able to find which it is. (Fox used to have the home video rights, but Cliff Mac from Shout Factory said they told him they no longer owned it.)
Same goes for Secrets and Lies and Career Girls, two former Fox properties that I can't imagine Criterion hasn't jumped on...

MoonlitKnight

#265 Post by MoonlitKnight » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:00 pm

Speaking of Mike Leigh, there's also "Life Is Sweet" from Universal, which still hasn't seen any Region 1 DVD release. (Soderbergh's "King of the Hill," another Universal property, is in the same boat.)

onedimension

#266 Post by onedimension » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:24 pm

Is Johnny Guitar a Universal property, too? That's one of the most egregious R1 absences..

Ashirg

#267 Post by Ashirg » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:32 pm

It's owned by Paramount, but licensed to Lionsgate with the rest of Republic library.

ianungstad

#268 Post by ianungstad » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:06 am

I agree that it doesn't make sense for Criterion to acquire Topsy Turvey but not the other three Leigh films. (Secrets & Lies, Career Girls, Life is Sweet)

Much more unlikely but I would hope that Focus would license them Eastern Promises. In terms of special features it's pretty underwhelming for a Cronenberg.

Noiradelic

#269 Post by Noiradelic » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:06 am

In terms of film it's pretty underwhelming for a Cronenberg.

Jarpie

#270 Post by Jarpie » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:23 am

I thought Eastern Promises was a great film, but wouldn't hold my breath for Criterion release. Same goes for A History of Violence.

Gary Gnu

#271 Post by Gary Gnu » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:28 pm

Cronenberg is my favorite director, so I'd be down with Eastern Promises or A History of Violence. (I think Scanners is in greater need of a remaster, though.) Even though I was underwhelmed by A Dangerous Method, I think Criterion would want to package those three together. It seems as though his collaboration with Mortenson is done.

I don't think they will get licensed to Criterion, though. It's a shame, since Eastern Promises is perhaps the most innovative (unconventional?) film about organised crime ever made.

Jeff

#272 Post by Jeff » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:39 pm

Gary Gnu wrote:I'd be down with Eastern Promises or A History of Violence... Even though I was underwhelmed by A Dangerous Method, I think Criterion would want to package those three together. It seems as though his collaboration with Mortenson is done.
I can't see Criterion licensing films from three different major studios and then somehow packaging them together just because they all feature Viggo Mortensen. Why do you assume that Cronenberg and Mortensen are done working toether?

Gary Gnu

#273 Post by Gary Gnu » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:48 pm

Jeff wrote:I can't see Criterion licensing films from three different major studios and then somehow packaging them together just because they all feature Viggo Mortensen. Why do you assume that Cronenberg and Mortensen are done working together?
I said it was unrealistic. (I didn't know it was three different studios, though.) But, it seems as though Criterion would only go for one if they could get the others. All three movies have a subtly unifying tone, and I think that's what Criterion would be interested in.

I'm assuming because Viggo isn't slated to appear in Cosmopolis, and it seems fitting to end a collaboration on a "trilogy." I'd honestly love for it to continue. :)
Last edited by Gary Gnu on Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

flyonthewall2983

#274 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:14 pm

The Eastern Promises sequel still seems to be on track, unless that's changed.

Gary Gnu

#275 Post by Gary Gnu » Wed Oct 05, 2011 6:20 am

flyonthewall2983 wrote:The Eastern Promises sequel still seems to be on track, unless that's changed.
I don't know what to make of that. So far, only Cassel has mentioned the sequel. I don't think he's lying, but I think Cronenberg should have formally announced it by now. I'd love to see how they handle the sequel, though.