Where's My Criterion?

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
lull

#26 Post by lull » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:56 am

lol :)
it's weird that they don't seem to have gotten their copies.
but i won't be getting it anytime soon. i live in Canada and it usually takes me 3 weeks to get orders from DVDPacific.

Gordon

#27 Post by Gordon » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:45 am

No fear: My copy of Le Samourai shipped yesterday from DVD Pacific.

lull, wrote:
but i won't be getting it anytime soon. i live in Canada and it usually takes me 3 weeks to get orders from DVDPacific.
Really? I live in Scotland and I created two orders on Friday: Fast Company: 2-disc (going OOP) / Flesh and the Fiends and The Terminator (my UK edition rotted a few months ago and the upcoming UK SE does not have the mono track) and I received them today (tuesday). With some luck, Le Samourai could be with me by saturday. Why would it take three weeks to ship from Florida (where DVD Pacific are based) to Canada? How fast are other e-tailers?

-----------

CD-WOW are still not listing the October releases, save, Kill!. What the hell's going on?

peerpee
not perpee

#28 Post by peerpee » Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:18 pm

Canadian post is terrible. They sit on packages for weeks, working out what import duty to charge.

lull

#29 Post by lull » Tue Oct 18, 2005 1:01 pm

re: Canada Post.

i've only been charged customs once by Canada Post.
but they do seem to sit on them for quite some time, though. weird.

btw, anyone in Canada deal with any other online retailers that are Customs-Friendly?

ben d banana

#30 Post by ben d banana » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:47 am

Canada Post is currently taking their sweet time with a nine disc order of mine from Amazon UK. Sometimes shipments arrive in a matter of days. It's the typical crapshoot.

If you're multi-region capable, Bensons World in the UK fudge the custom's totals to save you duty, taxes, and handling.

lull

#31 Post by lull » Wed Oct 19, 2005 2:27 am

thanks for the tip, ben d :)
i'll look up their prices.

Napoleon

#32 Post by Napoleon » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:54 am

My Swordplay classics (along with the Lewton collection huzzah!) have been shipped from Amazon.com. So it look v. likely that they are sticking to their release date this time.

ellipsis7

#33 Post by ellipsis7 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:47 am

Where are the best stores in NYC to pick up CC new releases, on the day of their release or soon after? Borders, Tower Records?...

Arn777

#34 Post by Arn777 » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:22 am

I may not be the best person to answer since i don't live in NYC, but last I went i mostly shopped at Kim's Video (east village), not the greatest looking store but they have all the new cutting edge stuff and they had 25% off and some dvds before official street date. Borders is also good but may not have all the Criterions, they do sell usually with a discount off the SRP. Tower Records or Virgin mostly sell at full SRP so not the best places especially if you want to spend lots of $$$

Andre Jurieu

#35 Post by Andre Jurieu » Thu Oct 20, 2005 11:54 am

ellipis7 wrote:Where are the best stores in NYC to pick up CC new releases...?
Arn777 wrote:I may not be the best person to answer since i don't live in NYC, but last I went i mostly shopped at Kim's Video (east village), not the greatest looking store but they have all the new cutting edge stuff and they had 25% off and some dvds before official street date.
Check out Mondo Kim's at St. Marks Place and Kim's Underground on Bleecker (close to NYU and Film Forum).

oldsheperd

#36 Post by oldsheperd » Thu Oct 20, 2005 1:10 pm

I expect this thread to grow since Image has taken over. All of the labels they distibute are always delayed past their release date. It sucks.

Gigi M.

#37 Post by Gigi M. » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:36 pm

Has anyone that bought Le Samourai or any other of the october releases from dvdplanet received their copies?
Mine hasn't even been shipped.

oldsheperd

#38 Post by oldsheperd » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:43 pm

I'm telling ya, it's going to be real hit and miss with Image and a new distributor. Some will get their discs on time from retailers, others will have to wait until the retailer finally gets theirs. THis new distributor sucks a fart!

BrightEyes23

#39 Post by BrightEyes23 » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:35 pm

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

But hasn't Image BEEN Criterion's distributor? I thought that Criterions deal with them in the whole HVE buyout thing was just an extension of said distribution?

Andre Jurieu

#40 Post by Andre Jurieu » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:02 pm

BrightEyes23 wrote:Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

But hasn't Image BEEN Criterion's distributor? I thought that Criterions deal with them in the whole HVE buyout thing was just an extension of said distribution?
Image has been Criterion's distributor in the past, but they have been one amongst a few distributors for Criterion. The new deal with Criterion and Image is to make Image the only distributor of Criterion's product. Not sure if that pertains only to the US though.

dspector

#41 Post by dspector » Fri Oct 21, 2005 6:32 pm

For the record - I've been using DVDempire since the beginning of time, have always selected US priority (currently steep at 5.30 a shot, but each additional DVD is about .50 more - so if you order a lot, which I do, it is no big deal), and the discs have always shipped on Friday before the Tuesday release date and have ALWAYS arrivd on Monday, one day ahead of release date - this includes the current 10/25 releases.

Cinesimilitude

#42 Post by Cinesimilitude » Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:11 pm

i have so many movies i havent seen so getting things on time isnt a priority, but im very happy with amazon (com, ca, and uk) and dont plan on changing.

Dr. Mabuse

#43 Post by Dr. Mabuse » Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:26 am

Looks like the "change" in distribution affects CDWOW. None of the forthcoming Criterions are listed as preorders (except for Kill), and their list of available titles are shorter than ever.

Gigi M.

#44 Post by Gigi M. » Sat Oct 22, 2005 8:48 am

Dvd Planet, DDD DVD and Digital Eyes are still marking The Wages Of Fear with 29.95 price tag.

That responds the delay.

daniel p

#45 Post by daniel p » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:12 pm

gigimonagas wrote:Dvd Planet, DDD DVD and Digital Eyes are still marking The Wages Of Fear with 29.95 price tag.

That responds the delay.
I got mine (TWoF) for that price at amazon, and it shipped last week sometime.

Gordon

#46 Post by Gordon » Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:06 pm

Dr. Mabuse wrote:Looks like the "change" in distribution affects CDWOW. None of the forthcoming Criterions are listed as preorders (except for Kill), and their list of available titles are shorter than ever.
Yup. It could be that when CD-WOW goes out of stock with a Criterion DVD, they won't be getting any new stock. PlayUSA.com (based on the UK tax-exempt island of Jersey) stock Criterion's at various prices, high and low, must have a deal with Image, as they are stocking the latest Criterions.

I used CD-WOW primarily for acquiring Criterions using £1-off links, but now, it looks like I'll be using DVD Pacific, unless Play USA's prices are reasonable.

Annoying, but not the end of the world.

peerpee
not perpee

#47 Post by peerpee » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:07 pm

Gordon McMurphy wrote:PlayUSA.com (based on the UK tax-exempt island of Jersey) stock Criterion's at various prices, high and low, must have a deal with Image, as they are stocking the latest Criterions.
play.com (based in Jersey) used to sell both R1 and R2 when they started, but when playusa.com started, they started selling all the R1 stuff from Canada.

It's my understanding that play.com (Jersey) is all R2, and playusa.com (Canada) is all R1.

Gordon

#48 Post by Gordon » Sun Oct 23, 2005 7:37 pm

If the region 1 stuff is shipped from Canada, how can the prices be so relatively low and the shipping free?

Play USA's Criterion prices really are all over the shop, though. Richard III and 8 1/2 are £15.99 but Rushmore is a whopping £26.99! Eh?

See for yourselves: Play USA Criterion listings

Why not have a three-tier pricing: £12.99 for sets with none or minimal extras, £15.99 for 1-disc SEs and £17-18.99 for 1-discs with extensive extras and all 2-discs plus higher prices for the various 3-disc sets and boxes.

It's alright for dope-pushing pimps like me, but some of the 'Ordinaries' of British society have children to feed and Pot Noodles are pretty expensive these days and I care about their well-being and appreciation of Cinema. :^o

Theodore R. Stockton

#49 Post by Theodore R. Stockton » Mon Oct 24, 2005 1:40 pm

DVDPlannet has shipped all of this week's releases except the criterions so there goes the image owned theory.

bjeggert82

#50 Post by bjeggert82 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:47 pm

Theodore R. Stockton wrote:DVDPlannet has shipped all of this week's releases except the criterions so there goes the image owned theory.
I know... I have Le Samourai, Wages of Fear, and Samurai Rebellion all on preorder, and none have shipped yet from DVDplanet.com. It's a little frustrating.

I suppose I'm just spoiled from usually getting my preorders on the Saturday or Monday before the official release date, but c'mon.

I've never had this problem with DVDplanet before...