Criterion Random Speculation Vol.2

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
zedz

#1251 Post by zedz » Sun Sep 10, 2006 5:50 pm

Rah rah! Note that Remorques has been on the Forthcoming Criterion list for years now. I don't know the original evidence for this, however. Lumiere d'Ete is a delirious film, but I don't know why this would be Criterion's first choice. ANY Grem is cause for celebration, though. I'd love to see one or other of these supplemented by some of Gremillon's well-regarded later shorts.

Frankly, news of Poto and Cabengo getting a release is nearly as exciting. It's a simply amazing documentary, and I find Gorin's solo work much more interesting than his Godard tag-team stuff. If there are two films in the pipeline, My Crasy Life seems like the other major contender, though Routine Pleasures is sweet in a Les Blank sort of a way. And here's hoping JPG can contribute a commentary for one or both (or for the Gremillons) - I've found him one of the most insightful contributors on recent Criterion discs. He was so good on Renoir with Boudu I'd love to hear how he locates Gremillon in that same constellation.

Brian Oblivious

#1252 Post by Brian Oblivious » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:43 pm

zedz wrote:Note that Remorques has been on the Forthcoming Criterion list for years now. I don't know the original evidence for this, however.
Has it been years? I remember thinking I was unearthing "new" info when I posted this a little over a year ago.

No matter. I just hope it's actually being released!

GringoTex

#1253 Post by GringoTex » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:22 pm

Poto and Cabengo is a marvelous film. Gorin was finally able to apply his Lacanian ideas or language and representation to "real" subject matter, and the result is astounding.

jesus the mexican boi

#1254 Post by jesus the mexican boi » Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:28 pm

zedz wrote:Frankly, news of Poto and Cabengo getting a release is nearly as exciting. It's a simply amazing documentary, and I find Gorin's solo work much more interesting than his Godard tag-team stuff. If there are two films in the pipeline, My Crasy Life seems like the other major contender, though Routine Pleasures is sweet in a Les Blank sort of a way. And here's hoping JPG can contribute a commentary for one or both (or for the Gremillons) - I've found him one of the most insightful contributors on recent Criterion discs. He was so good on Renoir with Boudu I'd love to hear how he locates Gremillon in that same constellation.
This IS exciting news. I got to see POTO AND CABENGO in the early 90s at a screening of JPG's docs (w/ JPG in attendance) and was really affected by the film. (I was inspired to write a song about the girls, and used an image of the girls as an alternate cover for a literary journal I edited called DELUSION). It's a doc that I think Herzog-lovers will truly appreciate, as it gets at the root of the complications of communication and how language, at some level, absolutely breaks down. Certainly a good double-feature with Herzog's LAND OF SILENCE AND DARKNESS.

Hopefully Criterion has this in its future, and ours.

zedz

#1255 Post by zedz » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:04 pm

Brian Oblivious wrote:
zedz wrote:Note that Remorques has been on the Forthcoming Criterion list for years now. I don't know the original evidence for this, however.
Has it been years? I remember thinking I was unearthing "new" info when I posted this a little over a year ago.

No matter. I just hope it's actually being released!
Sorry, and credit where it's due. I just remember Remorques being on the list for as far back as I can remember (which is apparently, and worryingly, only 14 months!) and never hearing any word on its progress.

gubbelsj

#1256 Post by gubbelsj » Fri Dec 15, 2006 2:04 am

portnoy wrote:At an all-staff meeting, festival codirector Tom Luddy, discussing the festival's Gremillon retrospective (curated by Jean Pierre Gorin), said that two of the films they were playing were planned Criterion Collection releases
Sorry if this has been covered already or is old news, but a simple search on all topics related to Jean-Pierre Gorin (sparked by a conversation between member-in-good-standing Gregory and I about Gorin's presence in San Diego) suggest that a box set will be released in 2008 consisting of the so-called Southern California trilogy of Poto and Cabengo, Routine Pleasures, and My Crasy Life.
From Calit2's announcement on Gorin's being named UCSD's first filmmaker-in-residence and a hint from so-called "Friendly Stranger" from the Esoteric Rabbit blog. Again, possibly old news, but at least two sources listing specific dates.