Known Problems and Replacement Discs

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
duck duck

Re: Known Problems and Replacement Discs

#76 Post by duck duck » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:45 pm

Really, all you need to do is send in the effected discs with a return address note explaining why you are sending them discs... So, just send in the discs and say "please replace with corrected discs" then give your address, and everything will be fine.

In the case they know there is a problem... If you have a problem with a disc that you have not read about anyone else having a problem with then you should send an e-mail first.

albucat

#77 Post by albucat » Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:55 pm

Ok, I'm guessing that means someone else has tried doing so and received a fixed disc without any problem? I think my hesitation to send one disc from an expensive blu-ray set through the mail with no verification that I will ever get a replacement makes sense.

duck duck

#78 Post by duck duck » Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:35 am

Then either write Jon, or get your disc insured when you mail it to them.....
Criterion has great costumer service, but do what you want.... I just tried to answer a question.

zedz

#79 Post by zedz » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:59 pm

duck duck wrote:Criterion has great costumer service, but do what you want....
Yeah, I sent them in a faulty disc and they sent me a really cool wizard's cape!

Back on topic, I'm assuming Criterion are only replacing faulty discs for US residents. Have any international customers had any luck with replacements?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#80 Post by tenia » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:22 pm

In fact, some French forumeur on homecinema-fr also had his disc exchanged the same way than a US resident.

zedz

#81 Post by zedz » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:32 pm

Thanks tenia!

bigP

#82 Post by bigP » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:28 pm

tenia wrote:In fact, some French forumeur on homecinema-fr also had his disc exchanged the same way than a US resident.
Was this recently Tenia? I had to replace a duff Mr Arkadin Corinth disc a couple of years ago and had to get Criterion to send it to a friend of a friend in the US [who inadvertantly lost it / her brother pinched it]. I've put off getting a replacement booklet for Secret Sunshine since Christmas but if Criterion are sending internationally that would be fantastic.

albucat

#83 Post by albucat » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:48 pm

Thanks for the info. Guess I'll just be trying that, since none of my emails to Mulvaney have gotten answered.

Paul Moran

#84 Post by Paul Moran » Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:51 pm

My previous experience with Criterion has been like other non-North American posters: Criterion wouldn't ship replacement discs outside Region 1. This restriction only applied to discs: Mulvaney sent me a replacement slip case for a box set, when the original was a poor fit (too loose).

However, in the case of Carlos and White, I had a specific promise from Mulvaney: "Despite the face [sic] that you live overseas -- If you send us your defective discs, we will replace it [sic] when we receive the Carlos and White replacement discs at our office headquarters" (in email dated Dec 9, 2011).

I haven't returned the defective discs as yet: I've been waiting for the Carlos fix (which apparently has now been done).

riderontherain

#85 Post by riderontherain » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:40 pm

Just to report that I finally received the corrected White and Carlos discs from Criterion. Both discs have "second printing" printed along the rims. It took roughly 3 weeks to get the discs back, so be patient.

matrixschmatrix

#86 Post by matrixschmatrix » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:14 am

I got a second message offering me another $10 gift cert for replacing the Carlos disc a couple of days ago.

duck duck

#87 Post by duck duck » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:47 pm

I never actually got the $10 certificate, I just got $10 refunded to my credit card, but I guess that depends on if you've ordered from them or not.

hearthesilence

#88 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:00 pm

I just sent mine in a week ago and got the replacements today, but no $10 credit/certification...should I email them and ask? It cost $3 mail those things, so it would be nice to get something resembling reimbursement for their error.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#89 Post by swo17 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:10 pm

I received an automatic $10 credit for my Carlos replacement about two weeks after the replacement showed up. I'd say wait at least that long before contacting them.

hearthesilence

#90 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:30 pm

How does that work? I have an account on Criterion's site, but I didn't tell them that, and I bought these through B&N - will they just research my name in their records and add the credit to my Criterion account?

Paul Moran

#91 Post by Paul Moran » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:04 pm

My replacement Carlos (disc 2) and White blu-rays arrived on 17 April. (I returned the faulty discs on 27 March, and Criterion shipped the replacements on 9 April, according to the franking date.) On 18 April, I received a $25 Criterion Collection Gift Certificate email, which included instructions for use: "Using your gift certificate is easy. Visit us at http://www.criterion.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, select your items, and enter the gift certificate number in the designated field during checkout."

hearthesilence

#92 Post by hearthesilence » Tue May 15, 2012 1:02 pm

Also, got my $25 certificate via email a few weeks later...so yes, they came through!

Minkin

#93 Post by Minkin » Tue May 15, 2012 4:30 pm

How much longer should I wait for the replacement discs before I start to worry? Tracking says my return arrived over two weeks ago. Is this about how long the rest of you had to wait? (watch, it will arrive tomorrow).

fdm

#94 Post by fdm » Tue May 15, 2012 4:39 pm

Minkin wrote:How much longer should I wait for the replacement discs before I start to worry? Tracking says my return arrived over two weeks ago. Is this about how long the rest of you had to wait? (watch, it will arrive tomorrow).
Wouldn't hurt to send them an email. Only reason is that unlike hearthesilence, it's typical for them to email you the gift certificate when they send them out. It took at most a week between the g.c. email and my receiving the replacements.

Jean-Luc Garbo

#95 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:31 pm

Did Criterion ever do a corrected second printing of the Three Colors BR set because of that defect on White?

duck duck

#96 Post by duck duck » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:03 am

yes, read the page before.....

Cash Flagg

#97 Post by Cash Flagg » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:01 am

I just discovered that my Lean/Coward box is missing the Brief Encounter disc. As I bought the set from the odious DD at least a month or so ago, I'm imagining any return/exchange will be at best extremely difficult and at worst impossible. I sent off an email to Mulvaney, so hopefully he/she/it will take pity on me, although judging from several of the comments here, I may be in for a long wait.

DannyDaCat

#98 Post by DannyDaCat » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:46 pm

So, has anyone been able to compile a list of Blu-Rays that have discs replaced? So far I've been able to gather the following from this thread:

Walkabout: won't load with certain players.

Three Colors: White apparently has a problem with its surround mix. Blue and Red apparently were encoded properly, White somehow missed the boat. (Described as Blue and Red have proper surround sound mixes, but White only has sound coming out of one channel, when pro-logic is engaged.)

Carlos: Apparently has a problem with the left surround channel being noticeably quieter than the other four channels on disc 2.

Any others?

Minkin

#99 Post by Minkin » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:23 pm

A heads up (btw, this thread really needs to be updated, with a first post that lists every known problem, which should then be stickied - any volunteers?).

I purchased L'Eclisse at Barnes and Noble (in store) the other day, and the 1st disc DVD said "Second Printing" on it, which means they've already sent out replacements to stores (for those not keeping track, the Dual Format 1st DVD disc included the commentary from Riot in Cell Block 11, so that is now corrected, which was too bad for me, since I had an interest in watching a film with the wrong commentary). I was surprised by the find, so I didn't notice any new barcode/UPC on the back (plus I already threw away the shrinkwrap), so I'm not sure how to identify the corrected discs by the exterior.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#100 Post by swo17 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:25 pm

Minkin wrote:A heads up (btw, this thread really needs to be updated, with a first post that lists every known problem, which should then be stickied - any volunteers?).
If you or someone else wants to draft that first post, send it to a mod and one of us can put it there.