Known Problems and Replacement Discs

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Minkin

Known Problems and Replacement Discs

#1 Post by Minkin » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:22 pm

Current known problems:

Carlos (Blu-Ray Disc 2) - Audio surround sound mix channel issue- the left surround channel being noticeably quieter than the other four channels on disc 2. (ARD)

Code Unknown (Blu-Ray) - Weird video speedup. See the dedicated thread. (ARD)

L'Eclisse (Dual Format DVD Disc 1) - includes the wrong commentary (Riot in Cell Block 11's) (ARD, CDI)

Eraserhead (Blu-ray and DVD?) - Transfer fades to black instead of white at 65 minutes into the film. See here: (ARD, CDI)

Dressed to Kill - Transfer has bizarre stretching issue about halfway through the film. Most all 1st pressings have been removed from circulation, but some may have still gotten out, check the back of case to see which Pressing. (ARC, CDI)

Three Colors Trilogy: White (Blu-ray) - Surround Sound mix issues, sound comes out of one channel, when pro-logic is engaged (ARD)

Walkabout (Blu-ray) - Won't play in certain Blu-ray players, unrelated to Browning issue (ARD, CDI)

----------------------------------------
Older edition known problems (problems affecting releases that are more than ten years old):

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (1st edition DVD) - Typos in subtitles

Jigoku (1st edition DVD) - 2 minute scene in the films VOB files that is skipped by all players

The Last Temptation Of Christ (1st edition DVD) - Aspect Ratio problems (ARD, CDI)

M (1st edition of the 2004 re-release DVD) -see here

Magic Flute (1st edition DVD) the left and right audio tracks are reversed (ARD, CDI)

Mala Noche (1st edition DVD) - brief color sequence shown in B&W

-------------------------------------------------
Blu-ray Laser rot / Browning (See this thread for complete details) (ARD).
- other titles from this same time period may be affected, just check your discs to see. Visible brown color may not be an indication of damage; play the disc through to see if it is indeed damaged.

The Seventh Seal (June 2009)
Pierrot le fou (September 2009)
Paris, Texas (January 2010)
Howards End (February 2010)
Summer Hours (April 2010)
M (May 2010)
Walkabout (May 2010)
-----------------------
UPDATE 2017:

Refer to this email:
Criterion email wrote:We have confirmed that certain Blu-ray discs pressed at a replication facility that we used for a period in 2010 have become defective, showing a noticeable bronze discoloration on the underside and developing playback problems. We have confirmed the problem on ten titles, but not on all copies of these titles. All of these titles have since been re-pressed at a different pressing plant, and the vast majority of discs in circulation should not be affected.

The confirmed potentially affected Blu-ray titles are:

SUMMER HOURS
WALKABOUT
PARIS, TEXAS
M
THE SEVENTH SEAL
PIERROT LE FOU
HOWARDS END
MONSOON WEDDING
MONTEREY POP
RIDE WITH THE DEVIL
If you decide not to send in a disc that is playing fine and it starts to show signs of the defect at a later date, we will be happy to exchange your disc at that time. If we learn that other titles are similarly defective, we will add them to the list and continue to replace them as well (excluding discs that are out of print that aren't listed above). The best way to tell if your disc from the list is defective is by looking on the under side of the disc (the shiny side) and if you see the letters 'BVDL' your disc will be fine. If you don't see those letters you should send in your disc.

Thank you for your patience and understanding!

Jon Mulvaney
--------------------------------------------
Key symbols:

ARD - Acknowledged, replacement disc available
CDI -Correct disc in circulation.php?t=5148]see here[/url]
Last edited by Minkin on Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:27 am, edited 8 times in total.

peerpee
not perpee

#2 Post by peerpee » Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:46 pm

mbalson wrote:Criterion DVD releases: Known Problems:

I don't think there is a comprehensive list but THIS PAGE gives some of the reasons for subsequent printings.
They've been doing really well lately in the QC dept, haven't they??

editman

#3 Post by editman » Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:48 pm

Criterion DVD releases: Known Poblems
Good Morning has a second priting with Region 1 coding (1st printing is all region.)

(Posted this in this forum many reincarnations ago.)

Meanwhile (and slightly OT) there are titles with changes of artworks that aren't branded second printing:

I think Insomnia has 2 versions of cover - same design but one with the old Criterion logo, the other new.

And of course, The Samuari Trilogy has 2 versions of cover, booklet and faceprint design.

BWilson

#4 Post by BWilson » Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:34 pm

The Hidden Fortress has a second printing owing only to a small change in wording on the back of the package.

A Night to Remember has a second printing and no one has ever offered an explanation as to the difference between the two.

devlinnn

#5 Post by devlinnn » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:24 am

A Night to Remember has a second printing and no one has ever offered an explanation as to the difference between the two.
The second printing actually plays after a number of viewings, or so I'm told, unlike the first, which tends to give up after a while.

The Digital McGuffin

#6 Post by The Digital McGuffin » Tue Jun 14, 2005 6:09 am

Grand Illusion has also had the Criterion logo updated.

mbalson

#7 Post by mbalson » Tue Jun 14, 2005 7:38 am

The Digital McGuffin wrote:Grand Illusion has also had the Criterion logo updated.
To my knowledge Grand Illusion never had the older style.

Cinephrenic

#8 Post by Cinephrenic » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:22 am

We should compile a good here and add it to the reference thread.

oldsheperd

#9 Post by oldsheperd » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:44 am

Lord of the Flies has the Criterion animated line thingy instead of the CC logo before the film starts.

The Digital McGuffin

#10 Post by The Digital McGuffin » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:48 pm

mbalson wrote:
The Digital McGuffin wrote:Grand Illusion has also had the Criterion logo updated.

To my knowledge Grand Illusion never had the older style.

I'm sure I've come across it somewhere, but I'll be blowed if I can find an image. Considering when it was released, it should have been one of the earliest with the new style. Perhaps I'm just thinking of an alternate pre-production image from the Criterion website that didn't make it to printing?

One that I have definitely come across in both old and new style Criterion logos is The Lady Vanishes. The updated version I believe came from a Wrong Men and Notorious Women boxset. Presumably it was done to make it fit in with the others in the box. I don't know if they've done the same with the Kurosawa or Great Adaptations boxes.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#11 Post by cdnchris » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:17 pm

Grand Illusion was released with the new style logo, BUT on the old website they originally had cover art (I guess when they originally intended to release it, but delayed it) based on the laserdisc cover art, with Pierre and Jean shaking hands, which had the old Criterion logo up top and a HORRID title font. I'm glad they skipped that cover art altogether. It was pretty bad.

fdm

Remastered discs

#12 Post by fdm » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:17 pm

Is there a list of titles that have been corrected by Criterion and replacements offered by "Mulvaney"? The one that used to be on their old website does not seem to have made the transition to the new one.

I'm just getting around to trying to get Jigoku and Mala Noche replaced, and wondering if there have been any others that have been corrected that I may have missed out on.

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

Re: Remastered discs

#13 Post by Tribe » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:40 pm

fdm wrote: I'm just getting around to trying to get Jigoku and Mala Noche replaced, and wondering if there have been any others that have been corrected that I may have missed out on.
I believe there was an issue with the original Second Edition of M...if I recall correctly, it had something to do with an incorrect audio/dialogue issue. You can find a discussion about it here.

fdm

Re: Known Problems and Replacement Discs

#14 Post by fdm » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:53 pm

2nd printings I'm aware of (that weren't blatant re-issues (like Charade's transition to anamorphic, or Seven Samurai's drop of its restoration featurette)):

Dead Ringers
Jigoku
The Last Temptation Of Christ
M (the current edition)
The Magic Flute
Mala Noche
A Night To Remember
Playtime (the original edition)
Rififi
Spellbound

Others?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#15 Post by swo17 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:48 pm

Does anyone know the reasons for some of these second pressings? This topic should really be stickied somewhere, with brief descriptions of the reasons and/or links to forum discussions that go over this. Here are some that I know of:

Dead Ringers - something to do with the audio I believe, though I've never been clear on what exactly. The soundtrack on the first pressing is pretty harsh sounding--is it possible this was fixed in the second pressing?

Jigoku - roughly 2 minutes of footage missing

M - sound glitch

Mala Noche - brief color sequence shown in B&W

A Night to Remember - instant coaster

vertovfan

#16 Post by vertovfan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:16 pm

If I remember correctly, Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie had subtitle typos on the first pressing.

Napier

#17 Post by Napier » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:20 pm

vertovfan wrote:If I remember correctly, Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie had subtitle typos on the first pressing.
As well as AR issues. Listed as 1.66:1 but is actually 1.75:1.

fdm

#18 Post by fdm » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:49 pm

swo17 wrote:Does anyone know the reasons for some of these second pressings?
I'll see if I can unearth a hardcopy of that old Criterion webpage...

der_Artur

#19 Post by der_Artur » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:42 pm

A problem nobody seems to care about:

The Battle of Algiers - Sound glitch

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#20 Post by swo17 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:57 pm

fdm wrote:I'll see if I can unearth a hardcopy of that old Criterion webpage...
Thanks!

Re: the Discreet Charm AR issue and Algiers sound issue, are these problems that were corrected in subsequent pressings?

Napier

#21 Post by Napier » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:01 pm

swo17 wrote:
fdm wrote:I'll see if I can unearth a hardcopy of that old Criterion webpage...
Thanks!

Re: the Discreet Charm AR issue and Algiers sound issue, are these problems that were corrected in subsequent pressings?
As far as I know, Discreet Charm has not been fixed and Criterion have denied there is a problem with the AR.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#22 Post by swo17 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:18 pm

I'm sure there are plenty of other examples like this, and I'm not suggesting that they should be swept under the rug, but for the sake of this thread I'm more interested in the problems that Criterion has acknowledged and corrected, so that collectors can make an informed decision about whether it's worth the effort to seek out second pressings for certain titles.

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#23 Post by Tribe » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:26 pm

Maybe we can keep a thread locked and only accessible by the Mods like the Forthcoming-No Speculation threads. Just have it updated for real issues that arise. Sooner or later this thread will start getting filled with the window boxing stuff, AR disputes, or just plain old "the Criterion label officially corresponds with 'shite.'"

fdm

#24 Post by fdm » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:02 pm

swo17 wrote:Does anyone know the reasons for some of these second pressings? This topic should really be stickied somewhere, with brief descriptions of the reasons and/or links to forum discussions that go over this. Here are some that I know of:

Dead Ringers - something to do with the audio I believe, though I've never been clear on what exactly. The soundtrack on the first pressing is pretty harsh sounding--is it possible this was fixed in the second pressing?

Jigoku - roughly 2 minutes of footage missing

M - sound glitch

Mala Noche - brief color sequence shown in B&W

A Night to Remember - instant coaster
The Last Temptation Of Christ - "The first printing ... was inadvertently authored with a preset feature that causes some out-of-the-box DVD players to zoom in and resize the 1.85:1 image to fill a standard 4:3 television set, creating an automatic pan-scan version of the film. This problem does not occur if users have set the playback mode in the DVD player menu to match the monitor being used..." Also: "Subtitles do not appear on 16x9 televisions". Fixed with all subsequent printings.

Playtime - "... Authoring glitch on the first printing... Two supplements -- an introduction by Terry Jones, and Tati's 1967 short Cours du Soir -- were inadvertently flagged to play back in 16x9 mode, causing the image to appear vertically compressed and letterboxed rather than full-frame." Fixed with all subsequent printings.

Rififi - "On certain player models, the audio on the first printing... has been know to slip out of sync partway through the playback of the film". Fixed with all subsequent printings.

Magic Flute - "Due to an authoring error on the first printing... the left and right audio tracks are reversed." Fixed on all subsequent printings.

Spellbound - "On certain player models, the first printing... has had difficulty loading or fails to load entirely." Fixed on all subsequent printings. (First printing was ok on my player.)

fdm

#25 Post by fdm » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:12 pm

So Discreet Charm was never fixed? Okay I wasn't sure about that one, thought maybe I'd missed its getting fixed...

Only other non-fixed issue I recall is that a scene (or two?) on Jules and Jim were apparently flipped (left is right, right is left), but like Tribe said, a little out of scope, if nothing's been done about it. Hopefully it won't get overlooked if it makes it to Criterion blu-ray...

Then I guess those 10 are the "official" ones, three of them long out of print (one since re-issued in newer edition).
Last edited by fdm on Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.