How do you plan to collect Criterions going forward?

News on Criterion and Janus Films.

How do you plan to collect Criterions going forward?

I'll pay extra for the UHD/BD combo whenever it's available
34%
I'll pay extra for the UHD/BD combo, depending on the title
38%
I'll keep buying Blu-rays, but would've bought the UHD editions if they didn't cost more
5%
I'll keep buying Blu-rays and prefer single-format releases
19%
I only buy DVDs so will now consider upgrading formats
2%
I only buy DVDs so will now stop collecting Criterions
2%

Total votes: 167

criterionsnob

Re: How do you plan to collect Criterions going forward?

#76 Post by criterionsnob » Wed Mar 22, 2023 12:38 pm

I list stuff as an Amazon.ca seller, and just wait. Sometimes they sell immediately and sometimes it takes years, but patience is rewarded. Criterion DVDs and Blu-rays will eventually sell for a decent price. You just have to be careful of thicker cases which increases the shipping costs. Factor that into your listing price. Amazon will only credit a small flat amount for shipping. At least in Canada.

ballmouse

#77 Post by ballmouse » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:27 pm

I wonder if in 20-30 years DVDs will be in (niche) demand like VHS tapes, cassettes, film cameras and vinyl records.

senseabove

#78 Post by senseabove » Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:35 pm

Do any major online reselling options not require your SSID? I stopped selling on eBay when they made giving them that a prerequisite, and I've always heard horrible things about the hoops you have to jump through to sell on Amazon, but I don't recall whether that was one of them...

hearthesilence

#79 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:09 pm

I would also recommend posting a trade list here on this forum - basically what you have you're willing to trade and what you're looking for. Not sure if you'd get any takers, but when I consider how many titles I buy each year that aren't that new, it would make quite a difference if I got those via trades, especially with a growing stack of titles I no longer wish to keep.

therewillbeblus

#80 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:11 pm

There are also a few FB groups I've had luck on - here and there avoid the percentage taken from those third party sites, but obviously listing on eBay et al. gives you a wider audience. Also, I didn't have to give my SSID when I became a seller on eBay just last week...?

tolbs1010

#81 Post by tolbs1010 » Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:35 pm

ebay now requires deposit of funds directly into your bank, whereas they used to allow you to get paid through PayPal (which I prefer). And their fees have steadily gone up, as have shipping costs. I'm listing fewer and fewer titles just because I don't want to deal with it anymore. It also means I take fewer chances on purchases for titles that I haven't seen. I didn't buy anything during this recent flash sale. The re-sale value used to make Criterions a more attractive blind buy. Less and less so now. The local library has benefited from my upgrading and previous impulsive/blind purchases across all labels.

This site is responsible for several of the blind purchases and about half of the time I don't regret them. Pretty good batting average, actually. Radiance's The Working Class Goes To Heaven will be the next one. It seems so in my wheelhouse thematically, based on the description and some of the comments on these boards.

I like the idea of trading titles with fellow collectors but am also persnickety about condition of the casing, booklets, etc.

denti alligator

#82 Post by denti alligator » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:15 pm

I have several hundred DVDs and Blu-rays I planned to put on ebay at once. In the past this has been successful. I don’t like the idea of not getting paid through PayPal, though. I used to sell on amazon, but that 20 years ago. I assume it’s not as easy as ebay.

therewillbeblus

#83 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:37 pm

I just set up a separate checking account to link to eBay with a low minimum to keep it active without a fee, so there's little risk involved

denti alligator

#84 Post by denti alligator » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:41 pm

What’s the risk of using your regular checking account?

therewillbeblus

#85 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Mar 22, 2023 5:44 pm

I sleep better at night knowing that if there was a site hack they wouldn't get more than a hundred bucks - eBay supposedly protects this, but my regular checking account has substantially more in it, and the hassle of recouping would be low-stress. Though from what I've heard, they've had site hacks in the past, and sellers have been fine. Anyways, it took all of three minutes to open another checking account through my online banking

Maltic

#86 Post by Maltic » Thu Aug 17, 2023 12:25 pm

"I might've paid extra for the combos (and put the UHD discs in storage) if the BDs included weren't based on old masters, but apparently they are"

Rayon Vert
Green is the Rayest Color

#87 Post by Rayon Vert » Thu Aug 17, 2023 3:31 pm

Check that box.