Eclipse (was Criterion Cult Film Sub Company)

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Schkura

#201 Post by Schkura » Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:24 pm

Loose lips sink titles.

Gregory

#202 Post by Gregory » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:09 am

Schkura wrote:Loose lips sink titles.
Maybe so, but the anecdote most people use (including Criterion in past interviews) to explain that policy is the one about David Lynch and Eraserhead. I think it's been clearly established that Lynch is exceptionally mercurial and/or uncompromising. I don't mean this as a criticism of Lynch, but I don't think the way he works on DVD releases is representative of anything. Criterion recognize this and drop hints themselves about releases that are still quite far off, even those with which there might be real difficulties before they're ready, such as titles from Toho. Other companies do this far more, such as No Shame announcing basically their entire year's releases all in one press release.
So if my speculations are right why would Criterion persist in being so cautious? Part of the reason is that they probably don't want people getting disappointed if a tentatively announced title falls through the cracks. However, people still get very bent out of shape even if a long rumored title never surfaces. I don't see any difference between the exasperation over the delay on all these titles Criterion were merely rumored to have been working on and that over those they actually confirmed were coming and never did (eg Ivan's Childhood, Cocktail Molotov etc.). I guess another part of the reason may be that a company like Criterion with a committed following can generate a lot of interest and excitement by keeping their plans secret. The suspense has a lot of their customers on the edges of their seats. A trickle of information leaked out from sources like "asphaltjungle" probably would only add to this.

HerrSchreck

#203 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:37 am

'Sides, if security were so tight & severe (everyone's a priveleged world-tipping CIA agent nowadays, all of a sudden), asphalt already blew a grey cloud of paranoia over the Eclipse working crew... Voyager employee a la DIARY LOST GIRL femme terrible pacing up & down the Art Dept aisle banging her gong demanding to know who spilled the Now Working On The Art Thing...... all without making the 'leak' much worthwhile.

This is Home Video Entertainment...

Gigi M.

#204 Post by Gigi M. » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:12 pm

Well... Since Equinox is coming under Criterion this probably means that Eclipse is not going to happen.

rwaits

#205 Post by rwaits » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:45 pm

If Eclipse doesn't happen, I say we kill Asphalt Jungle.

justeleblanc

#206 Post by justeleblanc » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:01 am

Equinox better be a big seller... to pay for Putin's Eisenstein kidnapping.

Penny Dreadful

#207 Post by Penny Dreadful » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:02 am

From the page of this thread JUST BEFORE THIS ONE:
Wow, no need to bite my head off. Asphaltjungle posted that reply over two months ago, and I usually just read the new posts.

Really I just wanted to get some confirmation other than, "Yeah, it's coming. I know this dude who is working on it. It's DEFINITELY gonna be here...any day now"...similar to what we heard on the El Topo thread.

godardslave

#208 Post by godardslave » Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:14 am

gigimonagas wrote:Well... Since Equinox is coming under Criterion this probably means that Eclipse is not going to happen.
This statement is a triumph of reasoned thinking!
rwaits wrote:If Eclipse doesn't happen, I say we kill Asphalt Jungle.
Really? Care to indulge more?

bunuelian

#209 Post by bunuelian » Wed Mar 15, 2006 3:27 am

Really I just wanted to get some confirmation other than, "Yeah, it's coming. I know this dude who is working on it. It's DEFINITELY gonna be here...any day now"...similar to what we heard on the El Topo thread.
Such confirmation is coming, any day now.

Anonymous

#210 Post by Anonymous » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:04 am

Hmm, from what I heard, Equinox was going to be on Eclipse.

Anonymous

#211 Post by Anonymous » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:09 am

If it doesn't happen, you can kill me (LOL). Trust me, I'm not some crackpot. I'm a fan, just like you.

bunuelian

#212 Post by bunuelian » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:05 am

There's a new licensing deal between Eclipse and Criterion, haven't you heard? Hopefully this means Eclipse will be putting out Exterminating Angel soon!

Matt

#213 Post by Matt » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:05 pm

216 posts in this thread and not a single one contains any useful information. Uh, 217 now.

godardslave

#214 Post by godardslave » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:14 pm

Welcome

The Useful Information Company is the name used for the activities of a group of Internet and Free Software professionals, spearheaded by Edd Dumbill. At any point in time, some of us are available for consulting work or other employment. Right now we're all in work, but thanks for your interest.
http://usefulinc.com/

HerrSchreck

#215 Post by HerrSchreck » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:17 am

godardslave wrote:
Welcome

The Useful Information Company is the name used for the activities of a group of Internet and Free Software professionals, spearheaded by Edd Dumbill. At any point in time, some of us are available for consulting work or other employment. Right now we're all in work, but thanks for your interest.
http://usefulinc.com/
Fuckin hilarious.

Alright... you busted me.. I'm Edd Dumbill

http://usefulinc.com/edd

Cinephrenic

#216 Post by Cinephrenic » Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:02 pm

Eclipse could still happen even with the Criterion announcement of Equinox. Perhaps they saw to it that they need more fantasy titles in the collection.

fliggil

#217 Post by fliggil » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:02 pm

cinephrenic wrote:Eclipse could still happen even with the Criterion announcement of Equinox. Perhaps they saw to it that they need more fantasy titles in the collection.
or maybe they're testing the waters to see if a title like this even sells...

Gregory

#218 Post by Gregory » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:57 pm

It'll probably sell about as much as The Blob and Fiend Without a Face, perhaps even less. I would estimate that the former two are among their slowest selling titles. Very few people want to pay $30 - $40 per title for this kind of film even if they are getting an excellent transfer and the usual CC goodies.

Morbii

#219 Post by Morbii » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:34 pm

imo, the blob and fiend without a face are two of the worst criterions...

however, on the front of cult horror, Carnival of Souls is amazing

toiletduck!

#220 Post by toiletduck! » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:34 pm

Gregory wrote:It'll probably sell about as much as The Blob and Fiend Without a Face, perhaps even less. I would estimate that the former two are among their slowest selling titles. Very few people want to pay $30 - $40 per title for this kind of film even if they are getting an excellent transfer and the usual CC goodies.
I dunno, maybe it's just the Blob love talking, but at least those to have a built in market. Blockbuster sales? Certainly not. But I don't have the slightest problem believing that Blob and Fiend sell much much better than, say, For All Mankind, The Ruling Class, or Fishing With John, all of which have a much more specified selling point than what would be considered "cult-horror."

-Toilet Dcuk

HerrSchreck

#221 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:11 am

toiletduck! wrote:...Blob love ...
Nothing beyond that. I just had to isolate that phrase.

Gordon

#222 Post by Gordon » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:32 pm

HerrSchreck wrote:
toiletduck! wrote:...Blob love ...
Nothing beyond that. I just had to isolate that phrase.
My uncle Bert had a Blob fetish. He's now a Tory back-bencher.

FilmFanSea

#223 Post by FilmFanSea » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:52 pm

Noodling around today, I discovered Criterion's April Newsletter (which I don't think has been distributed yet). In the lower right hand corner--instead of a talking frog--we finally have official confirmation (or at least a strong hint) that the Eclipse line is being launched this fall:

justeleblanc

#224 Post by justeleblanc » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:16 pm

That's a great logo for Eclipse.

Narshty

#225 Post by Narshty » Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:16 pm

That's the most useless newsletter yet. Still, a nice little confirmation.