Criterion Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol.1

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
godardslave

Criterion Cover Art & Packaging Babble-on Vol.1

#1 Post by godardslave » Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:03 pm

I think the January Becker covers are obvious and lazy. Discuss.
I Agree.

Next!

Steven H

#2 Post by Steven H » Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:31 pm

I'm not sure about lazy, but certainly obvious. They're still not garish, more in the "less is more" camp. I always lean more towards original poster art, but I think they look "fine".

Cinephrenic

#3 Post by Cinephrenic » Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:50 pm

I find the Becker films cover alright, but agree that the Suzuki covers has no creativity at all. I hope Kagemusha will be much better as a special edition release.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#4 Post by cdnchris » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:15 am

Actually I really like the Youth of the Beast cover, but am not too fond of the others. I'm sure Kagemusha will kick ass, though.

Pinback

#5 Post by Pinback » Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:45 am

I like both Suzuki covers, though I prefer the Fighting Elegy one. Maybe because I really like monochrome covers for black and white films...and not so much for colour films.

jcelwin

#6 Post by jcelwin » Wed Nov 03, 2004 3:12 am

The synopsis for 'Youth of the Beast' says, "a breakthrough for director Seijun Suzuki, introducing the flamboyant colors...". The cover doesn't exactly show that...

Napoleon

#7 Post by Napoleon » Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:39 am

Touchez pas au grisbi is astonishingly lazy. The most uninspired and uninviting cover of the last 12 months. I like Jean Gabin as much as the next man, but that cover does nothing for the film. They pulled a similar trick on Pepe Le Moko, which is another howler of a cover.

The Fighting Elegy (viewed large) is just downright ugly.

Heck, of all the unreleased criterions only the King of Kings does anything for me.

djali999

#8 Post by djali999 » Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:01 pm

Not too fond of any of the posted covers... Perhaps they're going to look better in person, but the two Becker covers lack any sense of design or panache. The Suzuki covers are a bit more imaginative, with Fighting Elegy easily outpacing Youth of the Beast (I love the goofy little ladder standing in for the I), but they don't quite capture the garish pop-art of the HVE Suzuki titles, which in my mind are 'just right'.

Perhaps after the mess they made of the cover art for Tokyo Drifter and Branded to Kill, there was a desire to swing in the opposite direction - but I honestly don't think these covers are bright or 'pulpy' enough.

Cinephrenic

#9 Post by Cinephrenic » Thu Nov 04, 2004 6:56 pm

The Fanny and Alexander discs will be digipack. I just recieved some promotional material on these. They look beautiful.

Narshty

#10 Post by Narshty » Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:01 pm

analoguezombie

#11 Post by analoguezombie » Sat Nov 06, 2004 12:40 pm

I like the basic concept f the suzuki covers but agree that they don't really convey the pop art aesthetic of the films contained therein. I do like them a lot more than the HVE covers though. But I love the covers for Tokyo Drifter and Branded to Kill.

bjeggert82

#12 Post by bjeggert82 » Sat Nov 06, 2004 2:47 pm

I haven't been too impressed with any of the cover art for the Criterion single disc releases in the past 4 or 5 months. All the two-disc releases are excellent thought... Videodrome, for example, was brilliant. Maybe if they put more time into the special features, etc., they automatically take extra care with the cover art.

I believe Kagemusha is a 2-disc set, and I've liked all of the previous Kurosawa disc art... I'm anxious to see what it looks like (so far, it hasn't been posted on the website).

Caligula
Carthago delenda est

#13 Post by Caligula » Thu Nov 11, 2004 3:31 am

I have a gripe with cover art that gives away the ending or integral parts thereof. On the previous forum someone mentioned Ikiru. In my opinion Ordet comes close as well.

*SPOILER AHEAD*

You're watching the film, Inger dies, but you keep thinking to yourself, hmmm... there's wasn't a scene thus far where Inger & Mikkel embrace, so... and there you go.

godardslave

#14 Post by godardslave » Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:38 am

steca wrote:I know im in the minority here but i think eyes without a face was an extraordinary cover!
im also in this minority. :wink:

cdnchris
Site Admin

#15 Post by cdnchris » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:55 am

steca wrote:I know im in the minority here but i think eyes without a face was an extraordinary cover!
I hate the pink!! With the white font!! It just doesn't look right, in my opinion. Take that pink away and just leave the white font and I think you would have a fantastic cover :)

daniel p

#16 Post by daniel p » Fri Nov 12, 2004 12:12 am

Caligula wrote:I have a gripe with cover art that gives away the ending or integral parts thereof. On the previous forum someone mentioned Ikiru. In my opinion Ordet comes close as well.

*SPOILER AHEAD*

You're watching the film, Inger dies, but you keep thinking to yourself, hmmm... there's wasn't a scene thus far where Inger & Mikkel embrace, so... and there you go.
This happened to me with Ordet too...I leave the case on top oy TV while I watch the films, and I kept looking at the coverart, wondering when that embrace would come...and it gave away the ending for me.

Still absolutely loved the film though.

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#17 Post by Tribe » Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:42 pm

Oy...I have something to bitch about regarding packaging. The Short Cuts box has a "stopper" along the bottom towards the side, in order to keep the paperback level with the film case when in the box.

Watch Mrs. Tribe fuck the packaging up when she attempts to put the disc back in along the wrong end, it won't go all the way down and she will decide to jam it in.

*Sigh*

John

mbalson

#18 Post by mbalson » Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:10 pm

I just recieved the Fanny box and Short Cuts and all I can say is that Criterion continues to raise the bar.

godardslave

#19 Post by godardslave » Fri Nov 19, 2004 12:33 am

mbalson wrote:I just recieved the Fanny box and Short Cuts and all I can say is that Criterion continues to raise the bar.
if they raise the bar much higher we will need a pole vault.

[ok sorry, im just bored]. :roll:

rumz

#20 Post by rumz » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:32 pm

I just received a screener of Douglas Buck's "Family Portraits: A Trilogy of America." Not a Criterion title, but the packaging is a blatant rip-off, from the typography to the spine number. Have a look.

analoguezombie

#21 Post by analoguezombie » Fri Nov 19, 2004 1:54 pm

rumz wrote:I just received a screener of Douglas Buck's "Family Portraits: A Trilogy of America." Not a Criterion title, but the packaging is a blatant rip-off, from the typography to the spine number. Have a look.
imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, or is it copyright infringement?
No doubt someone just glancing at that could easily mistake it for a Criterion release.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#22 Post by cdnchris » Fri Nov 19, 2004 3:27 pm

I thought it was fan art for a second.

BTW rumz, awesome avatar.

justeleblanc

#23 Post by justeleblanc » Fri Nov 19, 2004 4:59 pm

analoguezombie wrote:
rumz wrote:I just received a screener of Douglas Buck's "Family Portraits: A Trilogy of America." Not a Criterion title, but the packaging is a blatant rip-off, from the typography to the spine number. Have a look.
imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, or is it copyright infringement?
No doubt someone just glancing at that could easily mistake it for a Criterion release.
Don't designers have copywrite protection?

Narshty

#24 Post by Narshty » Sat Nov 20, 2004 10:02 am

Speaking of packaging, my copy of In The Mood for Love curiously comes in one of these crazy contraptions, presumably because of the thick booklet. Anyone else have one?

cdnchris
Site Admin

#25 Post by cdnchris » Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:53 am

Jon wrote:Speaking of packaging, my copy of In The Mood for Love curiously comes in one of these crazy contraptions, presumably because of the thick booklet. Anyone else have one?
Is this how the movie is being released now? It makes sense because that booklet is way too thick. I had to take it out because it was warping my double alpha and it would keep flying open.