FilmStruck

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
albucat

Re: FilmStruck

#1276 Post by albucat » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:57 pm

I'm not sure what reason they would have to lie about their own list, but, umm, I guess they could be wrong? I like surprises as well.

Note: I don't list all the other random things, just literal films.

Minkin

#1277 Post by Minkin » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:07 pm

They do add many more films than are just on that monthly list. There's also:

-Friday Night Double Feature - which frequently includes a Janus title paired with something random (like Usual Suspects)

-Random themes of films / director's favorite films picks / etc - where it could be anything showing up.

I assume they don't include these films in their list since they will be on Criterion's Channel for a shorter length of time + the themes are probably changing rather frequently. These were both contributing factors to me stopping the listing of every Criterion Channel addition to the "Forthcoming + Filmstruck list."

So, expect the unexpected with additions to the Criterion channel.

albucat

#1278 Post by albucat » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:33 pm

You may be right, I don't pay close attention, but that goes against everything I've ever seen, and it seems weird (borderline nonsensical and completely out of sorts with how they typically run things) of them to misinform people through their press releases. They have all of the Friday Night Double Features etc. planned before the month starts as well, and so far as I've noticed include those when they list adding a movie to Criterion's side of Filmstruck (sometimes they're paired with something through the normal service, though, and in these cases they don't). Criterion's not doing this randomly or without planning--I just don't include those listings because that seems like flooding everyone with not-particularly-relevant-or-interesting information. I could double check with old records, but I recall no surprises ever, and they tend to be pretty thorough (for instance, even including their observations in film art or adventures in moviegoing programming).

So maybe...? But I'm skeptical, and remember just the opposite.

jwd5275

#1279 Post by jwd5275 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:03 am

Melville's Magnet of Doom is on the Filmstruck channel with a Janus logo

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1280 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:10 am

God what an awful title, they better use the original French one if they release it (L'Aîné des Ferchaux -roughly the Old Man from Ferchaux, which thematically is a relevant title. No magnets here). One of Melville's weakest films, though I believe it's currently the only one unavailable in an English-friendly home release

MichaelB

FilmStruck

#1281 Post by MichaelB » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:29 pm

A literal translation is The Oldest Ferchaux, in the sense of the oldest living member of the Ferchaux family, but it has indeed been known as Magnet of Doom for decades in the English-speaking world. No idea why.

FrauBlucher

#1282 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:47 pm

Speaking of Melville... Two days ago on Instagram, Criterion posted a promo of Bob Le Flambeur showing on FilmStruck's Criterion Channel. Should we read anything into this? Does Filmstruck stream OOP Criterions?

dwk

#1283 Post by dwk » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:49 pm

No, I wouldn't read anything into it. They've streamed a number of OOP Criterions.
Last edited by dwk on Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1284 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:49 pm

I believe there are Studio Canal titles on there

flyonthewall2983

#1285 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:56 pm

Watched Outland for the first time last night. How more broadly Peter Hyams transmitted western tropes to outer space more than Lucas did works for it, when perhaps less talented directors would have overshot (like Peter Boyle with his videogame). Sean Connery and Frances Sternhagen have perhaps the most platonic female/male friendship I've seen in a movie (recently at least).

ModelShopAbschied

#1286 Post by ModelShopAbschied » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:02 pm

jwd5275 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:03 am
Melville's Magnet of Doom is on the Filmstruck channel with a Janus logo
domino harvey wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:10 am
God what an awful title, they better use the original French one if they release it (L'Aîné des Ferchaux -roughly the Old Man from Ferchaux, which thematically is a relevant title. No magnets here). One of Melville's weakest films, though I believe it's currently the only one unavailable in an English-friendly home release
MichaelB wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:29 pm
A literal translation is The Oldest Ferchaux, in the sense of the oldest living member of the Ferchaux family, but it has indeed been known as Magnet of Doom for decades in the English-speaking world. No idea why.
I actually just watched this film a couple weeks ago and noticed weird inconsistencies with the title when looking it up:

• On FilmStruck, Wikipedia, and IMDB, it's listed as "Magnet of Doom".

• On Letterboxd and TMDB (basically the same source anyway), it's listed as "An Honorable Young Man" — and when you search "Magnet of Doom" on either of those, it automatically pulls up "An Honorable Young Man". (Conversely, if you search "Honorable Young Man" on IMDB, it pulls up "Magnet of Doom".)

There's even an English poster for the "Honorable Young Man" title that seems to be an international-friendly variant of the French poster...

So it looks like at some point before (?) "Magnet of Doom" came to be the common English title, it was "An Honorable Young Man". Don't know why the latter was abandoned, because "Magnet of Doom" is indeed a stupid title. It would make more sense for a Bava film title, haha, but seems so out of place for Melville and the folm itself.

Chrisrobles27

#1287 Post by Chrisrobles27 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:46 am

Gillian Armstrong's My Brilliant Career is now on Filmstruck with the Criterion and Janus logo, all but confirming the newsletter clue back in April.

Chrisrobles27

#1288 Post by Chrisrobles27 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:33 pm

Michael Hutchins posted on Facebook forthcoming bundles on FilmStruck's main channel through at least October:

Star of the Week:
Cary Grant
Paul Newman
Julie Christie
James Mason
Debbie Reynolds
Greer Garson
Steve McQueen
Lon Chaney
Melvyn Douglas
Jacqueline Bisset

Director of the Week:
Michael Crichton
Alejandro Jodorowsky
Eric Rohmer
Ernst Lubitsch
H. C. Potter
Roberto Rossellini
Mike Newell
Jerry Schatzberg
Terence Fisher
Jacques Tourneur

Themes and Collections:
Soviet Perspectives on WWII
Double Takes
Behind the Music
Cartoon Roots
Movies for Math Lovers
Deep Focus: The Cinematography of Gregg Toland
Telluride Guest Director: Jonathan Lethem
Moments of Truth: The Best of Cinema Verite
Nordic Noir
Outbreak
Cinema Passport: Taiwan
A Star Is Born
Female Filmmaker Friday
The Young and the Restless
Japanese Horror Classics
Cartoon Roots: Halloween Haunts
Emerging Filmmakers: Celia Rowlson-Hall
The Passage

albucat

#1289 Post by albucat » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:18 pm

Complete list of films premiering on the Criterion Channel during September:

September 1
Cul-de-sac, Roman Polanski, 1966
Kes, Ken Loach, 1970

September 4
The Cage, Adrian Sitaru, 2010

September 5
Dead Man, Jim Jarmusch, 1995

September 11
Deer Boy, Katarzyna Gondek, 2017

September 18
When We Lived in Miami, Amy Seimetz, 2013

September 19
Clouds of Sils Maria, Olivier Assayas, 2014

September 25
The Voice Thief, Adan Jodorowsky, 2013

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1290 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:44 pm

Thanks to the Lubitsch mini-retrospective this week, I've finally gotten to see Student Prince and Merry Widow -- and found them both utterly delightful -- both enter the top tier of my Lubitsch list (getting a little large, but ...). Too bad no Lubitsch section in the Director's forum. Still need to see Cluny Brown and That Uncertain Feeling -- but doubt I can fit them both in before we leave for Japan. ;-)

First-rate BluRay releases are desperately needed for both these films!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1291 Post by domino harvey » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:14 pm

Have you not seen the latter two before? I'd prioritize Cluny Brown over That Uncertain Feeling if so

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#1292 Post by Michael Kerpan » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:28 pm

Never seen any of the four I mentioned (not seen Anne Boleyn either -- but I've found Lubitsch's "historical" films rather dull overall). Cluny Brown does seem a bit more interesting (and never came out on DVD, so far as I know).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1293 Post by domino harvey » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:35 pm

BFI put it out, but I think it's OOP. It's Fox, so it could conceivably eventually come from any number of boutique labels, including Criterion

D50

#1294 Post by D50 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:11 pm

Just watched Cluny Brown, and the dialog reminds me of a Whit Stillman film. The scene where Charles Boyer walks into Helen Walker's bedroom is hilarious.

britcom68

#1295 Post by britcom68 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:37 pm

I just got around to watching Schlesinger's Darling as part of the Julie Christie star-of-the-week. I noticed one thing which has puzzled me:

There is a different music cue for the FIlmstruck version than what is on my MGM-dvd for one entire scene. Although it is a short sequence, starting at 12:40 there is an orchestral scoring track laid out which is not what I hear on my OOP MGM-dvd. On the Region1 dvd, this scene had no music or dialog at all. Can anyone who is not region-locked as myself say if this is what is the case on the Region2 Blu, or even on the Criterion laserdisc?

albucat

#1296 Post by albucat » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:11 pm

Complete list of films premiering on the Criterion Channel during October:

October 1
Dr. Strangelove, or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, Stanley Kubrick, 1964

October 2
My Josephine, Barry Jenkins, 2003

October 16
The Games of the V Olympiad Stockholm, 1912, Adrian Wood, 2016
The Olympic Games Held at Chamonix in 1924, Jean de Rovera, 1924
The Olympic Games as They Were Practiced in Ancient Greece, Jean de Rovera, 1924
The Olympic Games in Paris 1924, Jean de Rovera, 1924
The White Stadium, Arnold Fanck, Othmar Gurtner, 1928
The IX Olympiad in Amsterdam, dir. Unknown, 1928
The Olympic Games, Amsterdam 1928, Wilhelm Prager; supervisor Jules Perel, 1928
Youth of the World, Carl Junghans, 1936
Fight Without Hate, André Michel, 1948
XIVth Olympiad: The Glory of Sport, Castleton Knight, 1948
The VI Olympic Winter Games, Oslo 1952, Tancred Ibsen, 1952
Where the World Meets, Hannu Leminen, 1952
Gold and Glory, Hannu Leminen, 1953
Memories of the Olympic Summer of 1952, dir. Unknown, 1954
Olympic Games, 1956, Peter Whitchurch, 1956
The Melbourne Rendez-vous, René Lucot, 1957
Alain Mimoun, Louis Gueguen, 1959
The Horse in Focus, dir. Unknown, 1956
People, Hopes, Medals, Heribert Meisel, 1960
The Grand Olympics, Romolo Marcellini, 1961
Sensation of the Century, prod. Taguchi Suketaro, supervisor Nobumasa Kawamoto, 1966
Snows of Grenoble, Jacques Ertaud, Jean-Jacques Languepin, 1968
The Olympics in Mexico, Alberto Isaac, 1969
Sapporo Winter Olympics, Masahiro Shinoda, 1972
Games of the XXI Olympiad, Jean-Claude Labrecque, Jean Beaudin, Marcel Carrière, Georges Dufaux, 1977
Olympic Spirit, Drummond Challis, Tony Maylam, 1980
O Sport, You Are Peace! Yuri Ozerov, 1981
A Turning Point, Kim Takal, 1984
Calgary '88: 16 Days of Glory, Bud Greenspan, 1989
Seoul 1988, Lee Kwang-soo, 1989
Hand in Hand, Im Kwon-taek, 1989
Beyond All Barriers, Lee Ji-won, 1989
One Light, One World, Joe Jay Jalbert, R. Douglas Copsey, 1992
Atlanta's Olympic Glory, Bud Greenspan, 1997
Nagano '98 Olympics: Stories of Honor and Glory, Bud Greenspan, 1998
Olympic Glory, Kieth Merrill, 1999
Sydney 2000: Stories of Olympic Glory, Bud Greenspan, 2001
Salt Lake City 2002: Bud Greenspan's Stories of Olympic Glory, Bud Greenspan, 2003
Bud Greenspan's Athens 2004: Stories of Olympic Glory, Bud Greenspan, 2005
Bud Greenspan's Torino 2006: Stories of Olympic Glory, Bud Greenspan, 2007
The Everlasting Flame, Gu Jun, 2010
Bud Greenspan Presents Vancouver 2010: Stories of Olympic Glory, prods. Bud Greenspan, Nancy Beffa, 2010
First, Caroline Rowland, 2012
Seide, Elnura Osmonalieva, 2015

October 23
An Act of Love, Lucy Knox, 2018

October 30
Bath House, Niki Lindroth von Bahr, 2014

movielocke

#1297 Post by movielocke » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:39 pm

Is that the olympics set entire?

Ribs

#1298 Post by Ribs » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:35 pm

Plus the Sochi film!

colinr0380

#1299 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:36 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:
Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:56 pm
Watched Outland for the first time last night. How more broadly Peter Hyams transmitted western tropes to outer space more than Lucas did works for it, when perhaps less talented directors would have overshot (like Peter Boyle with his videogame). Sean Connery and Frances Sternhagen have perhaps the most platonic female/male friendship I've seen in a movie (recently at least).
Outland is great, though I have not watched it in a number of years, so I'm not sure how well the effects have stood up (though I did remember Peter Boyle's virtual golf game!). Your note on western tropes is a well made one, as this is really a sci-fi remake of High Noon as the new idealistic sheriff in town alienates the local roughneck miners and then really upsets the local bad guy kingpin by refusing to accept certain drug related deaths (of people od'ing as they take drugs to push themselves harder in their physically demanding work shifts) as 'accidents', who calls in hitmen on the next space shuttle. The sheriff then finds himself ostracised by his co-workers and anyone else he tries to rally to his side, until eventually the shuttle arrives and he has to have a showdown with the hired guns by himself with only his ingenuity to survive. The big differences (aside from the sci-fi setting and the very 1980s 'breaking the drug cartel' angle) is that Connery's main character has to deal with his wife and son leaving him to return to Earth at the opening of the film so he's not fighting for love, or even to preserve somewhere that he might end up settling down in, as in High Noon. Which really emphasises the character's, perhaps too refined, sense of duty as the element that keeps him there in Outland rather than just leaving, as everyone tells him he should in facing his impending death (turning it a bit more into a kind of Yojimbo tale of someone taking it upon themselves to cut out the corruption at the heart of a community, but that corruption was kind of the heart of how things worked there despite various deaths, so what's left at the end?), and also as you note the Frances Sternhagen character being the cynical (or realist!) character who tries to remain aloof but eventually ends up helping the hero to prevail, at least in some small fashion!

albucat

#1300 Post by albucat » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:59 pm

Pretty sure it's not the whole set. Missing Tokyo Olympiad, at the very least.