FilmStruck

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
solaris72

Re: Streaming the Criterion Collection

#76 Post by solaris72 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:05 pm

Apparently Stalker is on Filmstruck. And with much better image quality than the AE blu.

sir_luke

#77 Post by sir_luke » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:13 pm

Is it Criterion branded?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ribs

#78 Post by Ribs » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:25 pm

For what it's worth, here's a quick spreadsheet I've thrown together with everything on Filmstruck right now. I'll try to keep it updated but the "see all films" seems to be totally random in its organization and also doesn't seem to be including some titles (such as Stalker).

albucat

#79 Post by albucat » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:25 pm

I was going to say "it's not there," but actually it is just in a place that's really difficult to find.

Anyhow, the important thing is that Stalker begins with the Criterion logo. The other thing to learn about this is that Filmstruck's "all titles" category doesn't actually show all titles.

Ribs

#80 Post by Ribs » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:27 pm

It *is* listed under New Arrivals, along with the two or three other archive things I think they've added in the past few days, but for some reason it's all the way on the bottom.

ianungstad

#81 Post by ianungstad » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:54 pm

Impressive that they were able to nick Dodes'ka-den and Stalker from Kino. I wonder if they were able to get the other Tarkovsky films?

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#82 Post by jindianajonz » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:57 pm

ianungstad

#83 Post by ianungstad » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:59 pm

Brain fart. Confused it with Dersu Uzala for a moment.

Ribs

#84 Post by Ribs » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:13 pm

Another batch of new titles were added to Filmstruck today (they appear to be adding about ten titles each week on Fridays, presumably so they'll all be ready by November, nothing exciting this week though):

1. L'atalante
2. The Rules of the Game
3. Hotel du Nord
4. Dry Summer
5. Pepe le Moko
6. Remorques
7. Children of Paradise
8. La bete humaine
9. House

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#85 Post by swo17 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:17 pm

Does the transfer for Children of Paradise look the same as on disc?

aox

#86 Post by aox » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:32 pm

I am sure this has been answered in this thread, but does this mean Hulu is losing their exclusive access to Criterion? If so, when?

Ribs

#87 Post by Ribs » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:40 pm

They're not losing their exclusivity, they're losing it altogether. In November, I think (presumably the same is true of Fandor).

aox

#88 Post by aox » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:48 pm

Given the massive overlap of Netflix and Hulu, I see no reason to keep the latter then.

RSTooley

#89 Post by RSTooley » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:03 am

Random question: for those who are beta testing the FilmStruck applications, does the service indicate what is in high definition and what isn't?

Ribs

#90 Post by Ribs » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:04 am

Not that I can see, no.

Ribs

#91 Post by Ribs » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:01 pm

New additions to Filmstruck - No Home Movie, Down There, One Day Pina Asked..., South, From the Other Side, From the East, and Chantal Akerman: From Here.
Last edited by Ribs on Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Minkin

#92 Post by Minkin » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:55 pm

Ribs wrote:New additions to Filmstruck - No Home Movie, Down There, One Day Pina Asked..., South, From the Other Side, and Chantal Akerman: From Here.
If somebody could double check to see if any of those play with a Janus/Criterion logo at the front?

Icarus Films was one of the partners mentioned in the original press release for FilmStruck and Icarus should have the rights to those Akerman films.

At least Flicker Alley, Icarus, Kino, Milestone and Zeitgeist have all signed onto this service, so we shouldn't expect every new title added to be from Criterion. Do note that Shout Factory has never signed onto this (they have their own terrible streaming service), so anything from Westchester, etc should now be with Janus. I also wonder when we'll see Mad Max.

Although this will be interesting for the several titles that Flicker Alley released that they don't own any rights to (because they're PD), yet Criterion/someone else does indeed own rights (Most Dangerous Game, Nanook, Italian Straw Hat, etc, etc). Since Criterion is running the show, I'd hazard to guess we won't see much of Flicker Alley's PD-Bandit stuff.

Ribs

#93 Post by Ribs » Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:58 pm

Mad Max is featured in some of the promo backdrops and stuff around the site, so it's still coming. I don't really understand what the point of it going to Criterion will be considering it's being brought out on UHD-BD in Europe by Warners in a few months, so I assume it's just some strange fluke somehow.

doh286

#94 Post by doh286 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:02 pm

Minkin wrote: If somebody could double check to see if any of those play with a Janus/Criterion logo at the front?.
I'm getting ''not available in your area'' messages while accessing most of the Akerman documentaries. I'll check back tomorrow as the links should being working then. No logo came up at the start of One Day Pina Asked.... It is with Icarus Films though.

doh286

#95 Post by doh286 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:33 pm

Akerman's From the East, From the Other Side and South are now streaming without difficulties. No specific logos appear at the beginnings of the films so I assume that all of them are still with Icarus Films.

repeat

#96 Post by repeat » Thu Aug 25, 2016 2:39 am

Do we know when the Criterion titiles will leave Hulu, more exactly than "in November"? None of them seem to have expiry dates listed yet.

Minkin

#97 Post by Minkin » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:47 am

I've been passed word that there are a number of empty "theme" pages on the website - indicating that future films will be added with content under those themes:

Starring Pierre Richard
Seriously Woody
The Mark Donskoy Gorky Trilogy

Given the news about MosFilm titles, I would be surprised if Criterion picked up the Donskoy films. I have no idea about the other two themes. Might Janus have the rights to any Pierre Richard films? As to the Woody theme - there's of course WB's involvement with the service. Wasn't there some chatter about phantom pages for Take the Money and Run?

The Narrator Returns

#98 Post by The Narrator Returns » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:56 am

Not to mention Twilight Time saying that they didn't have Interiors. Also, doesn't Warner Bros. only have the rights to Deconstructing Harry and Wild Man Blues in terms of Woody?

johnnysnatchclub7

#99 Post by johnnysnatchclub7 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 10:00 am

And "Seriously Woody" would imply more of an INTERIORS vibe than a TAKE THE MONEY AND RUN vibe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ribs

#100 Post by Ribs » Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:41 pm

I've updated my spreadsheet to include a second sheet consisting of the extant theme pages. Any typos or gaps are as presented on the Filmstruck site.

There's some very exciting things there, including numerous things implying there could be a new stockpile of Russian (or Cuban!) films Criterion have acquired (and probably have). There's also "Directed by Mark Herman," which I'd like to see anybody here try to make sense of.

One of the neater things are the listings for "Film Art With David Bordwell and Kristin Thompson" and "Criterion Live: Live at the Metrograph," which seems to indicate some more substantial exclusive features are on the way.