942 The Tree of Life

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

Re: Forthcoming: The Tree of Life

#1126 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:02 pm

There is/was also a shot from the film on a promotional page for Filmstruck.

matrixschmatrix

#1127 Post by matrixschmatrix » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:09 pm

I mean, also, I think Criterion has now released every other Malick movie up to that one? It's not really a wild called shot, any more than assuming that The Great Budapest Hotel is going to come sooner or later.

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#1128 Post by Omensetter » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:51 am

It is a wild-called shot though, and Malick lacks the nearly two-decade long relationship Anderson has cultivated with Criterion that pretty much guarantees Grand Budapest spine #900 (a wild-called shot too, but more Steph Curry). Incidentally, both films were distributed by Fox Searchlight and, of course, Criterion would love to release The Tree of Life, which is being canonized quicker than any film in my short lifetime, anyway (the Palme, 2012 Sight & Sound placement, high placement on TSPDT list). If (and why not when) it is released, I don't know if anything in this thread will have served as beacons.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1129 Post by tenia » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:56 am

Omensetter wrote:It is a wild-called shot though, and Malick lacks the nearly two-decade long relationship Anderson has cultivated with Criterion that pretty much guarantees Grand Budapest spine #900 (a wild-called shot too, but more Steph Curry).
Days of Heaven was seemingly the start of the work relationship between Malick and Criterion and it was already 10 years. It certainly not the 17 years ago from Rushmore but it still isn't a very recent relationship.

On the other end, we since had The Thin Red Line, Badlands and The New World over a 7 years period so it wouldn't be far fetched to believe The Tree of Life would be a logical inclusion.

bainbridgezu

#1131 Post by bainbridgezu » Fri May 11, 2018 4:24 pm

When it became clear that Malick was interested in revisiting the movie, Criterion took the unprecedented step of financing an alternate version, overseen by Criterion producer Kim Hendrickson.

That meant tracking down palettes of original negatives in order to pull the scenes Malick wanted, scanning everything in 4K, grading the footage with cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki to match the original film, and creating a full sound mix for the additional material. Malick himself dedicated the better part of a year to the project.

Becker insists, “We have never undertaken anything this extensive or this challenging, or anything that has taken this long to achieve or required so much effort on the part of pretty much every post-production craft. The only thing we didn’t do is go shoot new material.”

The expanded 179-minute cut doesn’t contain more effects shots, and the epic creation sequence remains untouched. But it restores material that Malick was exploring for the version that was shown in Cannes, including specific events and characters that were referenced only elliptically in the original film. Audiences will get specific insights into Mr. O’Brien’s painful upbringing, meet members of Mrs. O’Brien’s extended family, and witness a major natural catastrophe that serves as a kind of centerpiece for what Becker has been calling “the new version.”

At this stage, no theatrical release is planned. Criterion holds only home-video rights, “but Fox has been very supportive,” Becker says, “and we’ll see what the audiences demand.”

Randall Maysin

#1132 Post by Randall Maysin » Fri May 11, 2018 4:34 pm

bainbridgezu wrote:That meant tracking down palettes of original negatives in order to ruin them by changing everything to fucking orange and teal
Fixed

DarkImbecile

#1133 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri May 11, 2018 5:00 pm

Incredible news! This has already been a strong year for Criterion releases, but this is on another scale entirely.

Luke M

Forthcoming: The Tree of Life

#1134 Post by Luke M » Fri May 11, 2018 5:29 pm

DarkImbecile wrote:Incredible news! This has already been a strong year for Criterion releases, but this is on another scale entirely.
Yes, heck of a year. This sounds like the must have release of the year.

FrauBlucher

#1135 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri May 11, 2018 5:48 pm

Let’s see how much Sean Penn gets reinserted into the new cut.

Big Ben

#1136 Post by Big Ben » Fri May 11, 2018 6:14 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:Let’s see how much Sean Penn gets reinserted into the new cut.
Part of me doesn't want this to happen so I can see him mad online about it again.

Interesting in seeing what this "Major Natural Catastrophe" is though.

Luke M

Forthcoming: The Tree of Life

#1137 Post by Luke M » Fri May 11, 2018 7:06 pm

Weird seeing this announced in Variety when it hasn’t been officially announced. Guess this is an easy pick for the monthly guessing thread.

flyonthewall2983

#1138 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri May 11, 2018 7:17 pm

I'd bet on it being released in November.

Gambit1138

#1139 Post by Gambit1138 » Fri May 11, 2018 7:51 pm

flyonthewall2983 wrote:I'd bet on it being released in November.
Definitely. This is one of those titles they'd release during the B&N Sale for maximum exposure, especially for holiday purchases.

As a result, I'm sure Searchlight might do a limited theatrical run. Malick has talked about it, and Becker acts cagey about it at the end of the Variety article. If they're aiming for a Fall release, I could see something happening around August or so. Of course, this is all just wishful thinking.

whaleallright

#1140 Post by whaleallright » Fri May 11, 2018 8:10 pm

I'm interested in seeing this, but I'm also skeptical, not least because both Malick's recent new features and his revisions to his older work seem to me characterized by a vagueness and indecisiveness—in short a lack of purpose. I was struck by how little difference the "extended" version of The New World made to the film's strengths and flaws. Malick retained, without visible changes, the best sequences in the original cut, and the parts of the original that seemed like aimless dithering around were still aimless dithering around, just with more disjunctive jump cuts and florid voice-over.

(speaking of which, I've lost count of the number of New World cuts, which is effectively greater that the three offered on the Criterion set since there has been more sonic and visual tinkering than has been "officially" acknowledged. at this rate perhaps Criterion should just release a "new" version of one of Malick's features every year, as a kind of Christmas tradition.)

DarkImbecile

#1141 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri May 11, 2018 11:09 pm

I’m now really hoping it is a November release, and that it tours the fall film festivals. For my own selfish reasons, I’d love to see Malick bring Radegund and the new Tree of Life to Telluride as the subject of a tribute.

flyonthewall2983

#1142 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue May 15, 2018 7:13 am

What are the odds of Voyage of Time being included in this release?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1143 Post by tenia » Tue May 15, 2018 7:33 am

I'd hope (and guess) that if VoT was to be released by Criterion, it would get its individual releases with multiple cuts included.

pzadvance

Re: 942 The Tree of Life

#1145 Post by pzadvance » Tue May 15, 2018 4:47 pm

Variety said the new cut was 179 minutes, and Criterion now says the new cut has 50 additional minutes added to the 139-minute theatrical runtime...

So, whose math do we think was off?
Last edited by pzadvance on Tue May 15, 2018 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PfR73

#1146 Post by PfR73 » Tue May 15, 2018 4:53 pm

Variety wrote:The film, which won the Palme d’Or at the 2011 Cannes Film Festival, has grown 50 minutes of new branches...The expanded 188-minute cut doesn’t contain more effects shots, and the epic creation sequence remains untouched

pzadvance

#1147 Post by pzadvance » Tue May 15, 2018 4:56 pm

Variety wrote:The expanded 179-minute cut doesn’t contain more effects shots, and the epic creation sequence remains untouched.
weird. its changed since publication. Terry probably added another ten minutes in the last week.

aox

#1148 Post by aox » Tue May 15, 2018 4:59 pm

I'm not really a fan of this film; however, the extended cut could be very interesting here. I'm looking forward to your reviews comparing both cuts.

Just to be clear, the public has not seen this cut before? Meaning, it didn't do a theater tour recently, right?

DarkImbecile

#1149 Post by DarkImbecile » Tue May 15, 2018 5:01 pm

According to the press around it, this cut was put together for the first time and financed by Criterion, so no one's seen it in this form.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1150 Post by swo17 » Tue May 15, 2018 5:44 pm

Fun fact: This is now our largest thread for a Criterion release, with twice as many pages as the runner-up, Salò.