2016 New Year's Drawing

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
hearthesilence

Re: Forthcoming: Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#101 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:08 pm

Anyway, they definitely need to be on the ball with encoding - the current BD looks pretty great as is.

FrauBlucher

Forthcoming: Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#102 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:11 pm

The laserdisc extras doesn't sound like anything to be excited about, if that's what they'll include.

FrauBlucher

Re: 2016 New Year's Drawing

#103 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:17 pm

I had seen High Hopes not to long ago. There is nothing that jumps out at me.

CSM126

#104 Post by CSM126 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:18 pm

I'm guessing this is a case of the studio doing a new remaster (for insurance purposes perhaps) and then passing it off to a third party for whatever reason. I'd assume Sony prepped Strangelove for a 4K Ultra Blu ray and weren't necessarily interested in reissuing a regular blu ray, but Criterion saw that the remastering was done and, hey, easy release for them.

I dunno, just guessing.

FrauBlucher

#105 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:22 pm

CC seems to have a special relationship with Grover Crisp who heads the Sony restoration department. This could've been in the works for years.

jazzo

#106 Post by jazzo » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:32 pm

You're all so much better at this than me, but is Jon Amiel's 1989 film "Queen of Hearts" a possibility? It was released on MGM mod DVD a few years ago, but I'm really fond of the picture, and a bluray would be welcome.

Roger Ryan

#107 Post by Roger Ryan » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:50 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:With the clue of Dr Strangelove forthcoming, what could Criterion do for this release that would be different or better than the Sony release...
Include the original "pie fight" ending footage as an extra. I don't think we've gotten a clear answer as to whether the footage even exists (Jan Harlan has alternately claimed that all unused footage was destroyed and that he has the excised pie fight footage in the archives), but that would be a major coup for Criterion and convince me to buy the film yet again.

bergelson

#108 Post by bergelson » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:12 am

That's a nice speculation but for me the angel on the bomb clearly means it's the "Exterminating Angel", not "Strangelove".

TotalBetty

#109 Post by TotalBetty » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:55 am

I thought of Kings and Queen, too, when I first examined the drawing.

I don't know if it's been said, I'm sure it has, but under the McCabe drawing the little shoots of grass look like M's. There's two close together that don't look like any of the others.

Noiradelic

#110 Post by Noiradelic » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:29 am

bergelson wrote:That's a nice speculation but for me the angel on the bomb clearly means it's the "Exterminating Angel", not "Strangelove".
It's an overlapping clue, as they've done many times before in the New Year's drawings. The angel participating in nuclear annihilation is for The Exterminating Angel upgrade, but the very fact we understand that a being riding a bomb means annihilation is due to the iconic image in Strangelove. The artist could've depicted "exterminating" in other ways. Strangelove has been rumored before. The Sony BD is OOP. Criterion wasn't going to turn down a get as big as this, especially if there's a new 4K transfer. I'm sure they'll develop at least one substantial new supplement to help justify the release.

movielocke

#111 Post by movielocke » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:01 pm

Plus strange love and 2001 were both laserdiscs and criterion seems to be eager to bring a lot of those titles back to the collection, adventures of Robin Hood may also be likely.

whaleallright

#112 Post by whaleallright » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:33 pm

While I could easily see the three kings as a clue for Wenders' Kings of the Road,
Wenders's film has, at most, two kings.

What A Disgrace

#113 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:56 pm

Maybe one of those kings represents Stars In My Crown. I mean, I sure hope so. There's no excuse for Criterion to go through all this trouble to secure a deal with Warner Bros. only to ignore their classic catalogue in favor of post-1970s films.

FlickeringWindow

#114 Post by FlickeringWindow » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:15 pm

Kings Row could be a possibility.

The Fanciful Norwegian

#115 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:17 pm

Roger Ryan wrote:
FrauBlucher wrote:With the clue of Dr Strangelove forthcoming, what could Criterion do for this release that would be different or better than the Sony release...
Include the original "pie fight" ending footage as an extra. I don't think we've gotten a clear answer as to whether the footage even exists (Jan Harlan has alternately claimed that all unused footage was destroyed and that he has the excised pie fight footage in the archives), but that would be a major coup for Criterion and convince me to buy the film yet again.
The BFI has a copy that was screened at a Kubrick retrospective in 1999, after which they were contacted by his estate and told not to do it again. It does seem that the footage is (or was) accessible to researchers—an HTF poster claims to have viewed it in 2008, and Ken Adam (in the book Ken Adam and the Art of Production Design) mentions watching it sometime around the turn of the century in the company of an unnamed writer, who I suspect is Ed Sikov (his Mr. Strangelove describes the scene in such detail that I'm pretty sure he actually saw it). But Jan Harlan said as recently as 2014 that it shouldn't be released, so I wouldn't hold my breath for a home video appearance.
FrauBlucher wrote:The laserdisc extras doesn't sound like anything to be excited about, if that's what they'll include.
The first pressing of the laserdisc also had an early, pre-Southern draft of the screenplay, but when Kubrick found out he had Criterion recall the unsold copies and remove the script from the second pressing. Of course that wouldn't be a very compelling extra today, given that the same draft is now online.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#116 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:22 pm

I doubt it, but I hope you're right!

FlickeringWindow

#117 Post by FlickeringWindow » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:30 pm

I'd expect a Criterion Strangelove to finally include Pablo Ferro's theatrical trailer in HD, as well as include both a variable ratio presentation and the original theatrical widescreen framing.

criterion10

#118 Post by criterion10 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:36 pm

FlickeringWindow wrote:I'd expect a Criterion Strangelove to finally include Pablo Ferro's theatrical trailer in HD, as well as include both a variable ratio presentation and the original theatrical widescreen framing.
To include the variable ratio presentation would be completely unnecessary and only further complicate matters re: The Kubrick Aspect Ratio Debate.

The Sony BD had a great transfer and a solid crop of special features. My guess is that the Criterion will feature a new and improved (whether it be big or small) transfer, port over most of the old extras, and contain some new, more scholarly ones. It isn't necessary by any means, but considering Kubrick is my favorite director and Strangelove is one of my favorite films, I'll take it.

Though I can't help but wish Criterion instead went after some of the WB Kubrick titles, specifically Barry Lyndon and Eyes Wide Shut.

chucktatum

#119 Post by chucktatum » Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:16 pm

Regarding the man/island in the drawing - could it be a double clue for both Shindo's The Naked Island and Bunuel's Robinson Crusoe?

DeprongMori

#120 Post by DeprongMori » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:40 pm

Kings Row could be a possibility
Though they would have missed using an obvious visual pun for that one.

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#121 Post by Omensetter » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:39 pm

Last year's clue pretty much gave us permission to think obvious (a rose? The Rose, a bridge? The Bridge, a river? The River)---the three kings of la strada probably just reference the Russell, the Wenders's, and the Fellini.

My out-there, wishful speculation is that the blown-up nature of the clue is actually a clue for Blowup. Alongside McCabe, I could finally say farewell to my remaining snappers!

ssjmichael

#122 Post by ssjmichael » Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:44 pm

Would others say the man on the island could be praying? His hands look kind of held up in a position of prayer. Besides The Naked Island, I think it's also a clue for The Naked Prey.

movielocke

#123 Post by movielocke » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:35 pm

The road could always be for the Cormac Mccarthy "the road."

Swift

#124 Post by Swift » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:07 am

The guy on the island is obviously a clue for the mid 90s Martin Clunes film Staggered where he wakes up naked on a Scottish island on his wedding day.

Bressonaire

#125 Post by Bressonaire » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:53 am

I think the three kings might also be a hint for Pasolini's The Gospel According to Matthew.