Orlac

Re: Compression Issues with Criterion Releases

#51 Post by Orlac » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:37 am

Has Criterion addressed this at all?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#52 Post by tenia » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:57 am

I haven't received any reply to my emails about this, either from Criterion or Radius60.
I guess we'll see how well is encoded The American Friend and the 2 Troell movies.

Emilio

#53 Post by Emilio » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:49 am

tenia wrote:I haven't received any reply to my emails about this, either from Criterion or Radius60.
I guess we'll see how well is encoded The American Friend and the 2 Troell movies.
Slightly worrying...

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#54 Post by tenia » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:51 pm

Emilio wrote:
tenia wrote:I haven't received any reply to my emails about this, either from Criterion or Radius60.
Slightly worrying...
I hope I'm wrong, but I think they genuinely don't care.
It took a few release for Vinegar Syndrome to dramatically improve their encodes, same for Carlotta. Here, Criterion isn't looking to improve their encodes, but for some of them to just fix them, but it's been going on since Koyaanisqatsi (released in December 2012), and My Own Private Idaho was released almost 3 years later and actually is an full encoding mess.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#55 Post by cdnchris » Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:21 pm

The problem hasn't jumped out at me on their most recent releases. Jellyfish Eyes had some noticeable noise in a few darker scenes but they looked to be a side effect of the digital photography and not an encoding issue. Burroughs is incredibly grainy and I would have expected it there but nothing stood out, either. The first Lady Snowblood also looks okay.

Orlac

#56 Post by Orlac » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:15 am

Is the shimmering on patterns I've noticed on His Girl Friday, and what Chris refers to in his review for A Brighter Summer Day, down to compression at Criterion's end, or the source?

Never Cursed
Such is life on board the Redoutable

#57 Post by Never Cursed » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:06 pm

I haven't seen His Girl Friday, but from what I understand, that release just uses a very dated master. I have seen A Brighter Summer Day, and that's really a result of trying to get a four-hour movie into one blu-ray. I'm not an expert, but neither of those seem like Criterion's fault.

Morbii

#58 Post by Morbii » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:12 am

Most of the capsaholic links are now gone for Mulholland Drive.

Is this the type of thing you guys were talking about (circled in red)? I saw these lines in Thief too. They didn't seem as prevalent there that I remember (has been a while), but they were extremely pervasive and annoying/distracting in Mulholland Drive. There seemed to be a lot more of them when in the aunt's home, but it wasn't localized to there. While playing, they basically looked like horizontal TV signal blips.