Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
andyli

Re: Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#6326 Post by andyli » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:03 am

furbicide wrote:It does seem like they've hit a rare vein of form (and the Eustache set is hopefully not too far away either)! My biggest complaint would be that they're still bringing out things like Picnic at Hanging Rock that are already readily available in extensive new Region 2 Blu-rays – but there's nothing new there of course, and I understand that those who are region 1/A locked may see value in those releases.
There would be immense value if Criterion could persuade whoever ordered the grain removal to change their mind, but I doubt it’s gonna happen.

furbicide

#6327 Post by furbicide » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:40 am

Yeah, unfortunately the Criterion release blurb also boasts of a "restoration supervised and approved by director Peter Weir", so I'm assuming this'll be more or less identical to the version on the Second Sight release.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#6328 Post by tenia » Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:44 am

andyli wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:03 am
There would be immense value if Criterion could persuade whoever ordered the grain removal to change their mind, but I doubt it’s gonna happen.
I doubt that, especially as Criterion seem very unlikely to go against directors'/DPs' wishes, and it definitely looks like this one absolutely was.

Buttery Jeb
Just in it for the game.

#6329 Post by Buttery Jeb » Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:40 pm

In addition to Milestone licensing I am Cuba to them, Criterion is also now handling digital sales for Film Movement Classics on Farewell My Concubine. It's up on Amazon, iTunes and Vudu, attributed to the Criterion Collection.

dwk

#6330 Post by dwk » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:15 pm

Odd. I guess OCN does not do digital sales for their partner labels?

Matt

#6331 Post by Matt » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:19 pm

What a bizarre catalog Film Movement Classics has. Some ‘80s and ‘90s art house seat-fillers, some HK action, a couple of Kitanos, Fritz Lang’s Indian Epic, and about a dozen Joe Sarno soft-core films.

fiendishthingy

#6332 Post by fiendishthingy » Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:40 pm

Also a Visconti, a Rohmer and the Sissi trilogy with Romy Schneider, among other things.

FrauBlucher

#6333 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:16 pm

Buttery Jeb wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2024 1:40 pm
In addition to Milestone licensing I am Cuba to them, Criterion is also now handling digital sales for Film Movement Classics on Farewell My Concubine. It's up on Amazon, iTunes and Vudu, attributed to the Criterion Collection.
Any reason to think this could also include physical media for Farewell My Concubine (and maybe others)?

Matt

#6334 Post by Matt » Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:55 pm

They are already using OCN/Vinegar Syndrome for physical media, but that may not be an exclusive partnership.

Blip Martindale

#6335 Post by Blip Martindale » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:14 pm

From Blu-ray.com:
I spoke to one of the actors in Risky Business and he heard it was with Criterion. They are currently releasing a few Warner titles, so it would make sense for them to have it, even more so coupled with the fact Warner didn’t release it themselves on the 40th. Hoping the title being with Criterion is the reason why.

rwiggum

#6336 Post by rwiggum » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:33 pm

Blip Martindale wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:14 pm
From Blu-ray.com:
I spoke to one of the actors in Risky Business and he heard it was with Criterion. They are currently releasing a few Warner titles, so it would make sense for them to have it, even more so coupled with the fact Warner didn’t release it themselves on the 40th. Hoping the title being with Criterion is the reason why.
Would this be the first Cruise in the Collection? It looks like he was a producer on The Others but I can't think of any beyond that.

Peacock

#6337 Post by Peacock » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:14 pm

rwiggum wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:33 pm
Would this be the first Cruise in the Collection? It looks like he was a producer on The Others but I can't think of any beyond that.
Isn’t he in Warrendale?

therewillbeblus

#6338 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:24 pm

Peacock wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:14 pm
rwiggum wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:33 pm
Isn’t he in Warrendale?
No, I don't think so. Alex Lifeson from Rush is in Come on Children, but Cruise grew up in NY whereas Warrendale takes place at a residential facility in Ontario. I think Cruise's childhood was less than ideal, but don't think he was institutionalized

The Fanciful Norwegian

#6339 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:42 pm

Cruise lived in Ottawa for a few years, but that period ('71–'74) was too late for Warrendale.

beamish14

#6340 Post by beamish14 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:13 pm

Blip Martindale wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:14 pm
From Blu-ray.com:

I hope this is a two-fer with the immensely underrated Men Don’t Leave

FrauBlucher

#6341 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:38 pm

When they get around to releasing Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid is there any chance Passion & Poetry: The Ballad of Sam Peckinpah can be a supp on the release?

EDIT: Never mind. I see it's on Arrow's Major Dundee

tolbs1010

#6342 Post by tolbs1010 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:56 pm

I'm hoping for "Noon Wine" as a bonus feature. Doesn't really fit thematically with PG & BtK, but it seems like the kind of piece that should have been included as a bonus feature on a Peckinpah release already. Interesting mix of actors all doing fine work. Per Oscarsson, especially.

therewillbeblus

#6343 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:51 pm

tolbs1010 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:56 pm
I'm hoping for "Noon Wine" as a bonus feature. Doesn't really fit thematically with PG & BtK, but it seems like the kind of piece that should have been included as a bonus feature on a Peckinpah release already. Interesting mix of actors all doing fine work. Per Oscarsson, especially.
Agreed, though the print I saw was in baaad shape - not sure what kind of cleanup work is needed

Per Oscarsson stole it for me too (that scream during the manhunt still haunts me), though I found Robards’ perf particularly interesting when taken as a whole by the end. He gives a simple emotion, finally acknowledged and permitted to exist, more work than the suppressed shielded complexity many actors would kill for; a kind of realism where as a person and actor he’s deluding himself through life til he wakes up. The cumulative effect is powerful

jheez

#6344 Post by jheez » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:54 pm

Noon Wine was included on Twilight Time’s OOP blu-ray of The Killer Elite. It’s SD (but I assume it wasn’t shot on film?). It’s also available on DVD (and YouTube) for those interested

dwk

#6345 Post by dwk » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:26 am

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:55 am
Encounters of the Spooky Kind and Mr. Vampire I-III open with the Criterion and Janus logos (Mr. Vampire IV does not).
I just started Mr. Vampire IV and it now starts with the Criterion and Janus logos.

Randall Maysin Again

#6346 Post by Randall Maysin Again » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:53 pm

The Austerity Criterion, Except Every Few Months We Release A Crunchy Granola Indie Film Directed By A Woman From The Early 90s, Often With The Word "Fight" In The Title, That Does Include Quite A Number Of Interviews, Collection

Randall Maysin Again

#6347 Post by Randall Maysin Again » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:57 pm

but that's it though, i don't think any other films fit that description

ryannichols7

#6348 Post by ryannichols7 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:13 pm

are these early 90s indies particularly in demand? I'll include To Die For in that. this kind of release really seems to be on the uptick lately

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#6349 Post by domino harvey » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:15 pm

Girlfight (an early 00s film, btw) was modestly popular on release but I can’t remember the last time I saw anyone talk about it. I think there just aren’t that many titles that fit the metrics Criterion is going to great pains to hit

DRW.mov

#6350 Post by DRW.mov » Thu Feb 15, 2024 1:26 pm

In the way that there was in uptick in 80s films in the collection about 10 years ago (Blow Out, Something Wild, Insignificance, Repo Man, Big Chill, Scanners, Broadcast News) it feels like we’re getting about the same now for the 90s. Time allows for reappraisal of works by new audiences and new generations. The newfound acclaim for Kusama’s Jennifer’s Body has certainly sparked new interest in her body of work. Having this and Menace II Society, To Die For, Eve’s Bayou, Lost Highway, Mississippi Masala, Watermelon Woman, Malcom X, One False Move, Lone Star, and Trainspotting of late is a nice move forward. This films are now (nearly) 30 years old. If they were cars they’d be considered vintage. It’s the same as Criterion doing Belle de jour and Last Picture Show in the mid90s on laserdisc.