Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Morbii

Re: Forthcoming: Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#1851 Post by Morbii » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:04 pm

As others have mentioned, I'm excited for the return of Eclipse!

MoonlitKnight

#1852 Post by MoonlitKnight » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:19 pm

I'll also be one to echo the 'Welcome back, Eclipse' sentiment. :)

Minkin

#1853 Post by Minkin » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:20 pm

Here's my usual month thing:

Kameradschaft - Been a known Janus title forever, never confirmed /speculated, but was recently making theatrical rounds from Janus (glad they went with the original German title rather than Comradeship)

Westfront 1918 - Same as Kameradschaft

I, Daniel Blake - Not speculated, but a Palme winning IFC title was going to be Criterion-bound.

The Breakfast Club - June newsletter clue

Young Mr Lincoln - Random upgrade, nobody saw coming

Eclipse: Claude Autant-Lara - Oddly, 3 of the 4 are on Filmstruck: Lettres d’amour is the one missing. No rumors or anything
=======================================
A month full of surprises! Only one of them was really to be expected. 267 Blu-ray upgrades remain. Depending on your side of the small mammal (let's not start this again), they have 3 Best Picture winners as newsletter clues yet to be announced - which might make for a good February or March slate. Very surprised that Eclipse came back - and without any changes in format - especially after they already rescued two Ozu films (it seems weird to see DVD only titles in 2017 - but I suppose its better to have a DVD than no release at all - not like there's hundreds of unreleased Janus films that they could get to if the studios weren't dropping everything left and right :P ). My S/O planned to wear their Breakfast Club shirt when we bought the title, until I mentioned that it will be out for the Flash Sale, the response: "Fine then, so I'll wear it to the mail box."

felipe

#1854 Post by felipe » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:00 am

Minkin wrote:Depending on your side of the small mammal (let's not start this again), they have 3 Best Picture winners as newsletter clues yet to be announced - which might make for a good February or March slate.
Tom Jones and what else?

okcmaxk

#1855 Post by okcmaxk » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:45 am

felipe wrote:
Minkin wrote:Depending on your side of the small mammal (let's not start this again), they have 3 Best Picture winners as newsletter clues yet to be announced - which might make for a good February or March slate.
Tom Jones and what else?
The Silence of the Lambs, and, debatably, Midnight Cowboy.

HitchcockLang

#1856 Post by HitchcockLang » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:33 am

swo17 wrote:It's being used as an adjective, not a verb. And Åmål is a place, not a person.
Well, technically both are verbs, one being used adjectivally as a participle, the other being used nominally as a gerund. :lol:

criterionoop

#1857 Post by criterionoop » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:24 pm

Regarding MIDNIGHT COWBOY - if this in reference to the sick looking "rat," that was actually a clue for IL SORPASSO (ill, sore possum).

For the New Years Clue, three clues still remain (the window in the background, the waving "T," and the sixteen candles that are scattered throughout).

In terms of other Criterion films that are on the horizon (that weren't a part of the newsletter/New Years' clues), NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (the DCP that was screened in Los Angeles was gorgeous) and COME AND SEE (the Los Angeles screening they had this Sunday listed the film under Janus, though they played a Kino 35mm print - I'm assuming Janus only had a DCP).

Graphist

#1858 Post by Graphist » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:56 pm

The waving “T” was already figured out as Othello (oh T hello).

Graphist

#1859 Post by Graphist » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:04 pm

Though there is yet another clue remaining: the window with a tree and the rising(?) sun. It is probably for The Tree of Life.

Have you, guys, figured out what the second Cuban (or Puerto-Rican) flag was? I am so hoping it is for I Am Cuba.

Apperson

#1860 Post by Apperson » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:08 pm

Graphist wrote:Though there is yet another clue remaining: the window with a tree and the rising(?) sun. It is probably for The Tree of Life.

Have you, guys, figured out what the second Cuban (or Puerto-Rican) flag was? I am so hoping it is for I Am Cuba.
The first one was thought by some to have been for Good Morning (me included).

The second clue was definitely for Buena Vista Social Club.

Graphist

#1861 Post by Graphist » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:12 pm

There were two flags, as far as I remember.

PfR73

#1862 Post by PfR73 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:16 pm

The other [Puerto Rican] flag was suspected to represent West Side Story, which would be an additional Best Picture in the pipeline.
In January, Jerome Robbins received a phantom page, lending some additional credence to the theory.

movielocke

#1863 Post by movielocke » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:45 pm

second flag is probably West Side Story

despite the sixteen candles, facebook chatter says that sixteen candles has been cancelled as a release. I wonder if the film's cheerful pro-sexual assault/rape attitude had anything to do with it?

chucktatum

#1864 Post by chucktatum » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:08 pm

movielocke wrote:despite the sixteen candles, facebook chatter says that sixteen candles has been cancelled as a release. I wonder if the film's cheerful pro-sexual assault/rape attitude had anything to do with it?
And/or the character of Long Duk Dong?

bainbridgezu

#1865 Post by bainbridgezu » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:14 pm

movielocke wrote:facebook chatter says that sixteen candles has been cancelled as a release
Anyone have a link to this?

John Doe

#1866 Post by John Doe » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:24 pm

bainbridgezu wrote:
movielocke wrote:facebook chatter says that sixteen candles has been cancelled as a release
No, because that "facebook chatter" never happened.

criterionoop

#1867 Post by criterionoop » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:26 pm

The "T" clue now makes sense, though it is still on par with "Ill sore possum."

I have not heard anything or seen anything in regards to SIXTEEN CANDLES being cancelled. I mean, if it was already in the works as far back as January, it seems like a waste of resources to potentially restore the film, then drop it.

There were two flags in the New Years' Clue, however one flag had six stripes and the other had five stripes. Both Cuba and Puerto Rico have flags with five stripes.

bainbridgezu

#1868 Post by bainbridgezu » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:31 pm

Figured as much, thanks

shadedpain4

shadedpain4

#1869 Post by shadedpain4 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:22 pm

John Doe wrote:
bainbridgezu wrote:
No, because that "facebook chatter" never happened.
Certainly happened, I saw it myself. Whether or not it's still there I don't know.

CSM126

#1870 Post by CSM126 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:27 pm

Some randos on Facebook said it isn’t happening. MUST BE TRUE!

Luke M

#1871 Post by Luke M » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:06 pm

I think the interesting thing about The Breakfast Club release is how some of us thought it was going to be a box set. Beginning to think we won’t see Kar-Wai nor Almodovar box sets because their films are more valuable separately.

CSM126

#1872 Post by CSM126 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:29 pm

As regards Hughes, I could see them pulling a Stillman and releasing three films (Breakfast Club/Sixteen Candles/Weird Science) separately, and then offering a gift set option. Hughes’ films will doubtlessly sell huge on their own and as a set.

Bressonaire

#1873 Post by Bressonaire » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:34 pm

The other [Puerto Rican] flag was suspected to represent West Side Story, which would be an additional Best Picture in the pipeline. In January, Jerome Robbins received a phantom page, lending some additional credence to the theory.
In another thread someone mentioned that a Janus logo is on Memories of Underdevelopment that will be playing at Film Forum. It's also possible that the second flag pertains to that, since it's a Cuban movie.

kcota17

#1874 Post by kcota17 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:50 pm

Is there a chance Columbus could end up getting released by Criterion? Considering kogonada’s relationship with Criterion and (I think) it being a Sundance Select Film.

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#1875 Post by Omensetter » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:29 pm

It's not a Sundance Selects film. I imagine Mungiu's up next, but it seems like he's always been up next.

Regarding the New Year's clue: I think they finished it with La poison and just gave us GRE-level distractors. The candles probably obliquely referred to Barry Lyndon. Memories of Underdevelopment is imminent, but not necessarily because of the clue. There was never anything substantial to back up Tree of Life rumors.