2015 New Year's Day Drawing

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Minkin

Re: 2015 New Year's Day Drawing

#276 Post by Minkin » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:28 pm

So with today's announcement of The New World, all of the easy/confirmed/accepted clues for this drawing are now accounted for. The problem is, we have four images which have not been accounted for. I have no idea myself, so I ask the forum to use their brain power + memories of what Criterion released last year to explain the following:

Cure - the dudes with knives with X's over their mouths.
After Hours - the clock
This is Spinal Tap - the Stonehenge plans

Koker Trilogy - the partially built/destroyed bridge (actually, this is just The Bridge, I should've removed it)
----------------------------------

I don't think Ozu Eclipse set would make any sense - as you would never in a million years guess that before it was announced. Also, I am inclined to think that the entire bridge is just a clue for both The Bridge and The Master Builder. I have no clue about the clock. I'm guessing a Spinal Tap upgrade is still in the works.

So, does anyone have any better guesses now, in retrospect, for the X mouth people (is it just part of the Breaker Morant clue?) + the clock?
Last edited by Minkin on Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FrauBlucher

#277 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:34 pm

Can the clock be a clue for 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days?

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#278 Post by Omensetter » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:45 pm

Yeah, I thought that was the general consensus, along with the abundance of hills in both the 2015 and 2016 drawings vaguely intimating at Beyond the Hills. I imagine the delay could be chalked up to Mungiu working on his newest Cannes premiere.

movielocke

#279 Post by movielocke » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:50 pm

Inability to read time on traditional clock faces is a real millenial speciality, seems to me.

I hope criterion doesn't start using cursive! Millenial heads might explode at the strain of having to interpret and translate this ancient joined up writing!

Full disclosure I am probably a millenial, but I might be a latter Gen xer

Minkin

#280 Post by Minkin » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:57 pm

I think we mostly thought it was either One Two Three (1:23) or After Hours (clock in the title is exactly the same as it is here). The dude at Scorpion said that Criterion didn't have One Two Three, thus we defaulted to After Hours. I know that the Mungiu film(s) are coming, but not sure how the clock makes a clue for it (perhaps if the clock was 4:32, rather than 1:23 / 4:13).

FrauBlucher

#281 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:06 pm

Perhaps it's not the time itself but the hands that seem to sandwich numbers 2,3,4. While the clock itself could signify time ticking for an unwanted pregnancy.

Omensetter
Yes We Cannes

#282 Post by Omensetter » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:17 pm

The two hands of equal length encompass the numbers 3, 4, and 2. Mungiu shot his film essentially in real-time, as it's integral to his film. Criterion had a relationship with IFC at the time of the clue and the film has since been teased/confirmed.

Minkin

#283 Post by Minkin » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:29 pm

Alright, alright. You two have me convinced. Especially since it sounded like they planned to release it last Oct/Nov (as seen in the background of the Apu restoration video).

That just leaves the X-mouth people. Might they just be part of the clue for Breaker Morant (relating it to the film's plot). I know Cure will eventually come, but I don't think the clue gives the best evidence for that film. I think I'll probably just remove it unless someone has a better explanation / plea.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#284 Post by swo17 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 10:08 pm

I don't see why the X-faced people couldn't have reasonably been a hint for some kind of silent crime film/set of films.