Criterions Out of Print (OOP)

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Minkin

Re: Criterion OOP

#176 Post by Minkin » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:45 pm

Well, we finally got another OOP rescue (Straw Dogs), which I believe is the first since Time Bandits. This brings the mainline OOP total down to 57 (38 of which are Studio Canal).

I'd like to think this has less to do with rights issues and more to do with Criterion's slow upgrade schedule lately.

The announcement of Straw Dogs seems to all but confirm that the three OOP Hitchcock titles should be coming (Rebecca, Notorious, Spellbound).

Criterion also certainly have the rights to the Handmade Films and Chungking Express (I count these as repackaging - as Criterion have the rights, thus its no different than BRD Trilogy - so they aren't included in that 57). There should also be nothing stopping them from the other Universal / MGM / Warner Bros films at this point.

dustybooks

#177 Post by dustybooks » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:55 pm

I'm really confused about the status of the Josef von Sternberg box. It had the 'not out of print' message on the Criterion website for ages but hasn't actually been available anywhere for years (and is commanding outrageous prices at this point).

Ashirg

#178 Post by Ashirg » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:42 pm

Similary, I'm confused about Paul Robeson: Portraits of the Artist set. It was OOP at one time and then back in print despite some StudioCanal titles in the collection. The Proud Valley is getting a blu-ray release in UK in 2 weeks from StudioCanal.

Shrew
The Untamed One

#179 Post by Shrew » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:25 pm

Sternberg is probably "between print runs". The cost of the digipack is likely too expensive as is given the sales, and it's fallen off the radar as solutions are considered. It could end up in a keep case with no book, or it could be like the Teshigahara where only one film gets re-released and the rest goes OOP. A blu upgrade is also possible, but I expect the book and packaging will be pared down.

Robeson seemed to get a last minute reprieve from Studio Canal. I expect the estate intervened, like with the Tati set.

movielocke

#180 Post by movielocke » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:37 pm

Shrew wrote:Sternberg is probably "between print runs". The cost of the digipack is likely too expensive as is given the sales, and it's fallen off the radar as solutions are considered. It could end up in a keep case with no book, or it could be like the Teshigahara where only one film gets re-released and the rest goes OOP. A blu upgrade is also possible, but I expect the book and packaging will be pared down.

Robeson seemed to get a last minute reprieve from Studio Canal. I expect the estate intervened, like with the Tati set.
with ugetsu they may be reissuing it in a DVD keepcase with no booklet and a bluray digipack with the current big booklet resized for the bluray height restriction.

that could happen to the Sternberg set, issued in a painleve style three disc keepcase on DVD and a digipak with booklet on bluray.

dustybooks

#181 Post by dustybooks » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:59 pm

Yeah, I'd be happy with any kind of reissue of the silent Sternberg box. I'm the dolt who didn't really discover those films until around 2013 and by then you couldn't buy the set anymore. Not that my single voice means much but I'd take individual releases, a pared-down release, anything.

Nightowlgallery

#182 Post by Nightowlgallery » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:43 am

I do not see "Nanook of the North" on your list I believe "Flicker Alley" currently holds the rights but don't quote me on that I know they produced a blu-ray back in 2013 in with five or so other titles.
It has been long OOP on the Criterion site.

Minkin

#183 Post by Minkin » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:55 pm

Nightowlgallery wrote:I do not see "Nanook of the North" on your list I believe "Flicker Alley" currently holds the rights but don't quote me on that I know they produced a blu-ray back in 2013 in with five or so other titles.
It has been long OOP on the Criterion site.
See the protracted discussion/debate here (which I don't feel like continuing!) Long story short: no need to fear - as Criterion has licensed a 4k restoration from the negative from the Flaherty estate. Nanook of the North is Public Domain, thus anyone can release their own edition of the film (same with Most Dangerous Game and a host of other Criterion films). That this is listed as OOP is actually a great sign that the film is forthcoming in that new edition (hopefully paired with the other Flaherty films they own).

More often that not, the OOP status on Criterion's website is just there to indicate a title is between pressings. The Merchant Ivory films and the WC Fields 6films DVD were the last things to actually go OOP. Everything else has been this weird limbo "we haven't lost the rights, but we're taking it OOP for a while as its between pressings/whatever." This is clearly the case for films like The Fireman's Ball - which we just learned recently was part of their now large Czech license. So the OOP notice on Criterion's website is often just a placeholder for new editions or being between print runs or sorting out their distribution deals (Armageddon / Disney owned films).

Case in point: Kagemusha and Le Samourai are back in print on Criterion's website. Both had been saying OOP for awhile.

I'll always be relying on people checking the website, as with very rare exceptions (Studio Canal titles), Criterion never announces when something goes OOP. So I'm not going to check the 900+ films everyday to make sure everything is still listed as in print! So if anyone finds anything else, do let know by sending me a PM or posting in this thread!

diamonds

#184 Post by diamonds » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:10 am

Rohmer's Six Moral Tales now listed as out of print.

Minkin

#185 Post by Minkin » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:48 pm

diamonds wrote:Rohmer's Six Moral Tales now listed as out of print.
The films are still on Filmstruck and there's no reason for them to have lost the rights.

So this is either a packaging change, a re-print, or possibly even an upgrade - as all of the films have been restored not too long ago.

Ribs

#186 Post by Ribs » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:23 pm

I believe one of the New York Rep theaters advertised an exclusive weeklong run of the new 2K restos in December or so, but it doesn't seem like there's a proper Janus tour or anything. Would make a great November box set, if Hughes isn't what's planned...

Peter McM

#187 Post by Peter McM » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:22 am

Minkin wrote:
diamonds wrote:Rohmer's Six Moral Tales now listed as out of print.
The films are still on Filmstruck and there's no reason for them to have lost the rights.

So this is either a packaging change, a re-print, or possibly even an upgrade - as all of the films have been restored not too long ago.
I've held off buying this in hopes of eventual blu-ray. It's available at my local library, in case I want to see it again in the meantime...

djproject

#188 Post by djproject » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:49 am

Chasing Amy is now OOP.

Minkin

#189 Post by Minkin » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:22 am

djproject wrote:Chasing Amy is now OOP.
I think its been in a weird limbo for a while now. Its gone through the same odd existence as Curious Case of Benjamin Button - where whoever owns it at the time continues to print it with the Criterion branding. Lionsgate has done this for a while now. I don't think its indicated much different on the Criterion website (perhaps it might've had the "buy at Amazon.com" notice).

For those who check the weekly OOP listings, did Lionsgate /whoever take this DVD OOP recently? Not sure why they'd suddenly stop this Criterion-by-proxy edition, unless they licensed it to someone. Interesting, hopefully someone has an answer! Perhaps Kevin Smith got the rights back, and the long-proposed 2disc Criterion will finally come? :P

djproject

#190 Post by djproject » Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:30 am

Minkin wrote:Perhaps Kevin Smith got the rights back, and the long-proposed 2disc Criterion will finally come? :P
Funny enough, this year is that film's 20th anniversary.

Robespierre

#191 Post by Robespierre » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:04 pm

Is there any word with what is going on with the other two Teshigahara films?

KJones77

#192 Post by KJones77 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:40 pm

I don't see anything out of the ordinary on Criterion's site, but is Brazil between print cycles right now or something? On Amazon it's only available from third party sellers with the price jacked up to $77. Barnes & Noble is also out of stock online (though stores seem to have some in stock).

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009D004X6/_e ... 7DAK74WCA0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is there any reason for concern that it's going OOP or is this normal?

Noiradelic

#193 Post by Noiradelic » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:49 pm

Since it's available through Criterion and it's Universal, I wouldn't be too concerned. It is puzzling that not a single Blu-ray's available through eBay, except a local pickup copy inaccessible to most of the world.

Going by this thread it's more common that it's out on Criterion's website first.

KJones77

#194 Post by KJones77 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:12 pm

https://www.criterion.com/films/606-mon ... e-of-brian" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Life of Brian is now OOP on the Criterion site.

Upgrade forthcoming or did they lose the rights?

Minkin

#195 Post by Minkin » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:50 pm

KJones77 wrote:https://www.criterion.com/films/606-mon ... e-of-brian

Life of Brian is now OOP on the Criterion site.

Upgrade forthcoming or did they lose the rights?
I wouldn't worry about losing rights, as it should still be with Sony. If I recall right - it was one of the "selling fast / low stock" during the Flash sale. So it might have just run out of stock at their warehouse.

That said, the Sony Blu is almost ten years old at this point. I'd have to imagine that its going to be upgraded at some point by Criterion. Thus this is probably a Nanook situation (thats also OOP pending the forthcoming new edition).

kcota17

#196 Post by kcota17 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:32 pm

Wait Criterion’s still doing Nanook? I just bought the Flicker Alley release #-o

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#197 Post by swo17 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:25 pm

If they are they're certainly taking their time. And the FA has enough of interest on it to be worth having regardless.

Lowry_Sam

#198 Post by Lowry_Sam » Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:11 am

So is Pierrot le fou going to come back in print? The most recent (Criterion Channel) newsletter includes it along side Hunger & The Spy Who Came In From The Cold.
Criterion Collection Edition #452:
The Spy Who Came in from the Cold

A Cold War spy (Richard Burton) sets out on one last dangerous mission in this adaptation of John le Carré’s best seller.

SUPPLEMENTAL FEATURES: an interview with le Carré, an audio conversation with director Martin Ritt, and more.

Criterion Collection Edition #504:
Hunger

Oscar winner Steve McQueen turns one of history’s most controversial acts of political defiance into an unforgettable cinematic experience.

SUPPLEMENTAL FEATURES: interviews with McQueen and actor Michael Fassbender, a short documentary on the making of the film, and more.

Criterion Collection Edition #560:
Pierrot le fou

Jean-Paul Belmondo and Anna Karina star as runaway lovers in Jean-Luc Godard’s stylish mash-up of consumerist satire, politics, and comic-book aesthetics.

SUPPLEMENTAL FEATURES: a video interview with Karina, a video program with audio commentary by filmmaker Jean-Pierre Gorin, and more.

Ribs

#199 Post by Ribs » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:05 am

The Criterion Channel is Filmstruck, which StudioCanal is a licensor for. There is no reason to expect this to mean they've changed their licensing on physical formats, though.

Minkin

#200 Post by Minkin » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:09 pm

Well, unlike all of the other "why has this been listed as OOP forever on Criterion's website?" - where those are just waiting new print runs / upgrades /etc...

It appears that The Two of Us somehow is no longer with Criterion, as Cohen is doing a theatrical release followed by an eventual Blu. This was the only title in the repackaging section that didn't really make any sense as to why it was there - as the rest either said "available at Amazon" or were obvious forthcoming upgrades (Nanook).

This marks the first new to OOP title since Cohen also took the WC Fields short films (there's also the Merchant Ivory titles, but that's more of a bond stooge situation than Cohen).

As none of the other Rialto (non-Studio Canal) titles are listed as OOP right now, I assume this will only affect The Two of Us - as Rialto probably doesn't have the rights, thus it reverted to some other company & Cohen was able to scoop it up. Rights change hands and things can revert to producers or show up in really odd places, thus we can't really predict any of these things. That said, I can't really think of any other potential title to be affected.

Mainline OOP titles now up to 54 (though I can assuredly say that number will go down a couple more times in the near future (Spellbound/Notorious)).