Criterions Out of Print (OOP)

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
RPG

Re: Criterion OOP

#126 Post by RPG » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:46 pm

Looks like The Two of Us just went OOP.

On a side note, I'm pretty sad that Criterion is getting away from the digipaks and big booklets. I wish I'd had heads up sooner for the von Sternberg set, for example.

danieltiger

#127 Post by danieltiger » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:47 pm

RPG wrote:Looks like The Two of Us just went OOP.

On a side note, I'm pretty sad that Criterion is getting away from the digipaks and big booklets. I wish I'd had heads up sooner for the von Sternberg set, for example.
I wonder what's up with this one. According to the thread for the film it's licensed from Pathe, who there shouldn't be any problems with. But if it's getting upgraded I would assume they would do the available at Amazon thing, instead of just saying OOP. On the other hand Nanook is currently listed as OOP, so who knows anymore. So much Kremlinology!

danieltiger

#128 Post by danieltiger » Fri May 27, 2016 1:25 pm

As predicated, The Firemen's Ball is now listed as OOP on criterion.com

danieltiger

#129 Post by danieltiger » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:19 pm

The Zatoichi set is now listed as OOP on criterion.com, presumably for a packaging change to separate Blu-ray/DVD releases? Of course we've been waiting on new packaging for some sets for a very long time, so we'll see.

danieltiger

#130 Post by danieltiger » Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:05 pm

For what it's worth, Three Films by Hiroshi Teshigahara and 3 Silent Classics by Josef von Sternberg are now listed as Out of Print. This is a change from before, where they used to be unavailable for purchase but linked to Amazon.

FrauBlucher

#131 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:54 pm

Where could the Sternberg's be going? Unless, they are preparing standalone Blu Rays.

Noiradelic

#132 Post by Noiradelic » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:21 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:Where could the Sternberg's be going? Unless, they are preparing standalone Blu Rays.
Since they're Universal, the licenses should be safe, so likely individual releases.

Ashirg

#133 Post by Ashirg » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:29 pm

They are Paramount since they are silents.

der_Artur

#134 Post by der_Artur » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:36 am

danieltiger wrote:For what it's worth, Three Films by Hiroshi Teshigahara [...] are now listed as Out of Print. This is a change from before, where they used to be unavailable for purchase but linked to Amazon.
Now that's a pitty, I hoped for an upgrade of the great set since it ran out of stock back then. Let's hope the "Woman In the Dunes" BR isn't the only thing left from the set.

ianungstad

#135 Post by ianungstad » Sun Sep 11, 2016 3:33 pm

This is probably not going to matter to most people but it's worth noting that according to MMM; Criterion has discontinued production of the dvd version of the America Lost and Found box set.

captveg

#136 Post by captveg » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:30 pm

I'm pretty sure they've lost the rights to Head, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the Blu-ray set go OOP soon, too.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#137 Post by tenia » Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:08 pm

captveg wrote:I'm pretty sure they've lost the rights to Head, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the Blu-ray set go OOP soon, too.
I actually thought the set already went OOP some months ago. They indeed lost the rights for Head, which has since been included in the Rhino big set dedicated to The Monkees.

solaris72

#138 Post by solaris72 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:30 pm

Aww crap! Already??

Professor Wagstaff

#139 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Thu Sep 15, 2016 5:32 pm

And I JUST sold my MoC edition! Ughhhhhh!

AfterTheRain

#140 Post by AfterTheRain » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:56 pm

solaris72 wrote:Aww crap! Already??

Bwaaaahh!

JDHMathews

#141 Post by JDHMathews » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:37 pm

The dual formats of Nashville, The 400 Blows, and Breathless are also OOP now. They've announced re-releases for them with the blu ray only. Same price too.

Also, the prices for Hard Boiled and The Killer blu ray combo on Amazon has spiked and is not being sold by Amazon anymore. The three OOP Hitchcock film, Notorious, Spellbound, and Rebecca are all three also in the same state on Amazon. I hope they're coming back to Criterion. I hope they come in box sets.

Minkin

#142 Post by Minkin » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:02 pm

Silence of the Lambs + Chungking Express are both on Filmstruck and with Criterion branding. Chungking opens with Criterion + Janus logos, thus I think its safe to say Criterion now own it (I'm guessing its just this film rather than every Studio Canal/Miramax title).

No idea whether this is just a streaming deal, or whether Janus/Criterion now own these two films outright, or whether a Studio Canal flood is expected, but we shall see.

Ribs

#143 Post by Ribs » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:47 pm

As was directly mentioned in the press release detailing Filmstruck about a month ago, a big motivator for this entire service was that they'd be able to do new "editions" for movies they don't necessarily have the rights to, and Silence of the Lambs was specifically cited as such an example.

phantomforce

#144 Post by phantomforce » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:09 am

This makes sense.. I can see Criterion completely abandon the physical format market eventually and go full on network licensing to stream and building supplements ala IFC / TCM / HBO / Showtime

I'm sure it would certainly be cheaper. I doubt they are selling boatloads of their blu/DVDs.. You can't just walk into a Best Buy and pick up the latest Criterion and the few places that sell their collection, most people just wait for them to go on sale. Aside from a handful of 'essential' releases, it's probably a better business move for them to consolidate their entire catalog and get streaming rights for everything and produce the supplements themselves.

In a way this could be pretty good for them as they can also begin to do Theatrical VOD for smaller films or even films that have to go through a chain of distribution channels to get points back.

FrauBlucher

#145 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:15 am

I definitely don't see that happening anytime soon. They have said they are committed to physical media. I can't see Becker and Turrel changing the business model. And they sell more than enough blu/dvds to keep the business viable. Much like Redman predicting the end of physical media when he started Twilight Time it has actually gone in the opposite direction. Twilight Time will be enterring it's 7th year. Redman gave a 5 year to 7 year window for the demise of PM when he started his company.

Maybe many years down the road physical media will be non-existent.

rrenault

#146 Post by rrenault » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:23 am

For barebones mass-produced studio blu-rays, the market may eventually die, making streaming the future, but I don't see the market for physical media of the CC/Eureka variety dying anytime soon.

FrauBlucher

#147 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:39 am

If anything, the boutique labels and markets have increased over recent years due to the studios leaving the physical media market, except for new releases, and instead are licensing their films out.
Last edited by FrauBlucher on Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Noiradelic

#148 Post by Noiradelic » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:53 am

Minkin wrote:Silence of the Lambs + Chungking Express are both on Filmstruck and with Criterion branding. Chungking opens with Criterion + Janus logos, thus I think its safe to say Criterion now own it (I'm guessing its just this film rather than every Studio Canal/Miramax title).

No idea whether this is just a streaming deal, or whether Janus/Criterion now own these two films outright, or whether a Studio Canal flood is expected, but we shall see.
Chungking Express was not licensed from StudioCanal, but, I believe, Miramax. Lionsgate got the rights to the StudioCanal titles after Criterion lost them, if that's the StudioCanal-Miramax connection you're making.

phantomforce wrote:I can see Criterion completely abandon the physical format market eventually.
FilmStruck may signal a slight shift in emphasis by Criterion toward streaming, but a company that was founded on laserdiscs is not going to give up on physical media for a long time.
I'm sure it would certainly be cheaper. I doubt they are selling boatloads of their blu/DVDs.. You can't just walk into a Best Buy and pick up the latest Criterion and the few places that sell their collection, most people just wait for them to go on sale.
Best Buy has never carried a significant selection of Criterions. Criterion's sales have presumably gone down since DVDs peak, but as Frau Blucher suggests, it's also presumably partly offset by them having a lot more big-selling American movies in their catalog than they did 10 years ago.
it's probably a better business move for them to consolidate their entire catalog and get streaming rights for everything and produce the supplements themselves
Huh? They essentially pioneered home video supplements, and though I don't know what percentage of their supplements they produce themselves, it's a high number.
Last edited by Noiradelic on Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

JDHMathews

#149 Post by JDHMathews » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:58 am

I feel streaming is not going to surpass DVD/Bluray completely. A number of people will probably know that there's a visual difference between watching something at home on disc compared to streaming from Netflix or Hulu or even Filmstruck. Plus if a service goes down due to a glitch, a DDos attack, internet outage or whatever, it'll prove the biggest flaw with streaming and that the source is way far away from the viewer. The disc is right there for you to use whenever you want to.

Yaanu

#150 Post by Yaanu » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:15 pm

JDHMathews wrote:I feel streaming is not going to surpass DVD/Bluray completely. A number of people will probably know that there's a visual difference between watching something at home on disc compared to streaming from Netflix or Hulu or even Filmstruck. Plus if a service goes down due to a glitch, a DDos attack, internet outage or whatever, it'll prove the biggest flaw with streaming and that the source is way far away from the viewer. The disc is right there for you to use whenever you want to.
Not to mention how rights eventually expire and films disappear with little to no warning. Just look at every article that pops up around the end of each month about movies leaving Netflix.