How Now Brown Blu-rays

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
rrenault

Re: How Now Brown Blu-rays

#426 Post by rrenault » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:58 am

subliminac wrote:The disk began skipping right around the climactic zero gravity scene and remained unwatchable through the end.
Oh, that's what mine is doing, skipping around the 2-hour mark.

rrenault

#427 Post by rrenault » Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:44 am

Has anyone had issues with Vivre Sa Vie? I notice my player takes an uncharacteristically long time to load that one for some reason, although the feature doesn't appear to have playback issues. The only thing is in the supplements there's a slideshow with an essay, and it doesn't flip through the slides properly, skipping over them occasionally.

hearthesilence

#428 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:27 am

rrenault wrote:Has anyone had issues with Vivre Sa Vie? I notice my player takes an uncharacteristically long time to load that one for some reason, although the feature doesn't appear to have playback issues. The only thing is in the supplements there's a slideshow with an essay, and it doesn't flip through the slides properly, skipping over them occasionally.
Not like this, but mine did brown.

richast2

#429 Post by richast2 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:34 pm

subliminac wrote:The disk began skipping right around the climactic zero gravity scene and remained unwatchable through the end.
That's exactly what happened to mine.

Luke M

#430 Post by Luke M » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:46 pm

Dear Criterion Forum, I never thought it would happen to me but I just tried watching Summer Hours and it stopped playing about halfway through. I then checked the other discs on the list and I have browning on Walkabout and The Seventh Seal. (Luckily no signs of it on Pierrot le fou nor M)

Yakushima

#431 Post by Yakushima » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:05 pm

My copy of "The Lady Vanishes" Blu-ray would not load properly on the last attempt. The big C would appear in the corner and then - just a dark screen indefinitely. It used to play just fine. I have not noticed any discoloration on the surface. Just received a replacement from Criterion a couple of days ago and it plays fine. Wonder if anyone has experienced issues with this disk?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#432 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:32 am

I just tried mine out. It took quite a while to load actually but eventually seemed to play just fine.

hearthesilence

#433 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:31 pm

swo17 wrote:I just tried mine out. It took quite a while to load actually but eventually seemed to play just fine.
Same here. It took so long, I thought I might have had a failing disc, but the menu eventually came up and it played fine. I only have an Oppo on hand, and it generally takes some time to load Criterion discs. I used to have a PS3 that was VERY fast with loading any BD, but it was a piece of junk due to a design flaw - died after a year. Anyway, it's hard to say if the Oppo is just slow or if something is amiss with this disc.

fdm

#434 Post by fdm » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:38 pm

I've seen several reports of Lady Vanishes having issues. I dug mine out a year or two ago to see if my copy was okay and at the time it played fine (Oppo also). I don't recall any sluggishness in loading, but then again it was a year or two ago...

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#435 Post by swo17 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:42 pm

Oppo here too.

Yakushima

#436 Post by Yakushima » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:02 pm

Mine is OPPO is well, but there is no sluggishness whatsoever with the replacement copy Criterion has provided. The old disk, on the contrary, would not proceed further than letter C no matter how long I waited (my patience ran out after 3 minutes :)

hearthesilence

#437 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:58 pm

It looks like I have yet another problem disc. My copy of Jane Campion's Sweetie freezes and eventually stops playing at 1:20:33. (Skipping ahead just leads to brief stuttering before freezing.)

Pressed on the actual substrate near the inner rim: IFPI L323
Pressed into the clear plastic on the inner hub: IFPI OWYP

Pepsi

#438 Post by Pepsi » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:13 pm

My copy of Tuesday, After Christmas (DVD) Second Run DVD is browning. Anyone else?

Bando

#439 Post by Bando » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:36 am

Anyone have problems with Dont Look Back? Can't get my blu-ray disc to load.

ShellOilJunior

#440 Post by ShellOilJunior » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:50 pm

Bando wrote:Anyone have problems with Dont Look Back? Can't get my blu-ray disc to load.
You way want to try the disc on another blu-ray player. Some blu-ray players won't play certain CC discs. The Lady Vanishes plays on my PS3 but not another Sony BR players I own.

Bando

#441 Post by Bando » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:18 am

ShellOilJunior wrote:
Bando wrote:Anyone have problems with Dont Look Back? Can't get my blu-ray disc to load.
You way want to try the disc on another blu-ray player. Some blu-ray players won't play certain CC discs. The Lady Vanishes plays on my PS3 but not another Sony BR players I own.
Because we all have multiple BR players hanging around? :o

Pepsi

#442 Post by Pepsi » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:35 am

My copy of Tuesday, After Christmas (DVD) Second Run DVD is browning. Anyone else?
Best Customer service ever at Second Run DVD. I got a new copy in two days! Thanks.

Yaanu

#443 Post by Yaanu » Sun Oct 22, 2017 12:02 am

On a lark, I checked my BDs last night to see if there were any issues. I have M, HOWARDS END, and STAGECOACH, and it would appear that STAGECOACH has skipping issues in "Bucking Broadway". I shot off an email to Mulvaney for help with getting a replacement. If anybody has a definitive timecode or feature in which M skips from browning, please let me know.

I'm mostly just posting to apologize for apparently promising three years ago to keep the list of affected titles updated. At some point, I appear to have not only forgotten about the list, but also that I had shipped my copy of HOWARDS END to be replaced. Either I'm getting old or I'm just stupid.

I also wanted to make a joke about the slipcover to LAST YEAR AT MARIENBAD becoming brown from exposure to the elements, but I don't have any pictures. I should remember to ask if they have replacements for those as well.

McNulty

#444 Post by McNulty » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:37 am

Yaanu wrote:On a lark, I checked my BDs last night to see if there were any issues. I have M, HOWARDS END, and STAGECOACH, and it would appear that STAGECOACH has skipping issues in "Bucking Broadway". I shot off an email to Mulvaney for help with getting a replacement. If anybody has a definitive timecode or feature in which M skips from browning, please let me know.
Just checked my Stagecoach disc and yep, "Bucking Broadway" is basically unwatchable from 9:40 onward. It skips all the way to around the 43 min mark, and continues to skip after that. Will send Mulvaney an email Monday.

Yaanu

#445 Post by Yaanu » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:14 pm

From an email I just received from Mulvaney:
We have confirmed that certain Blu-ray discs pressed at a replication facility that we used for a period in 2010 have become defective, showing a noticeable bronze discoloration on the underside and developing playback problems. We have confirmed the problem on ten titles, but not on all copies of these titles. All of these titles have since been re-pressed at a different pressing plant, and the vast majority of discs in circulation should not be affected.

The confirmed potentially affected Blu-ray titles are:

SUMMER HOURS
WALKABOUT
PARIS, TEXAS
M
THE SEVENTH SEAL
PIERROT LE FOU
HOWARDS END
MONSOON WEDDING
MONTEREY POP
RIDE WITH THE DEVIL
[...]
If you decide not to send in a disc that is playing fine and it starts to show signs of the defect at a later date, we will be happy to exchange your disc at that time. If we learn that other titles are similarly defective, we will add them to the list and continue to replace them as well (excluding discs that are out of print that aren't listed above). The best way to tell if your disc from the list is defective is by looking on the under side of the disc (the shiny side) and if you see the letters 'BVDL' your disc will be fine. If you don't see those letters you should send in your disc.

Thank you for your patience and understanding!

Jon Mulvaney
Thought it might be useful. I don't recall anybody bringing up the "BVDL" thing, but then again I've apparently forgotten everything from the past three years.

Morbii

#446 Post by Morbii » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:50 pm

Wow, so those that have Poerrot le Fou might be lucky?

Ovader

#447 Post by Ovader » Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:21 am

My The Seventh Seal has the BVDL but my Pierrot le fou doesn't. The latter still plays fine.

TMDaines

#448 Post by TMDaines » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:30 pm

I only have Paris, Texas of these and mine was fine when I watched it about six months ago.

noirbuff

#449 Post by noirbuff » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:04 pm

"The Lady Vanishes plays on my PS3 but not another Sony BR players I own."

"I've seen several reports of Lady Vanishes having issues."

Mine loaded slowly and stopped at 1:20:27 on several tries and two Sony bd players.

John Shade

#450 Post by John Shade » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:53 pm

I'm worried about my copy of Pierrot and wondering if I should get the studiocanal release as a backup. Anyone seen that transfer? Worth picking up?