How Now Brown Blu-rays

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Graham

Re: How Now Brown Blu-rays

#401 Post by Graham » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:51 pm

Bruce wrote:I'm in the UK and I received my replacement disc of 'Walkabout' yesterday - that was earlier than I was expecting, so well done Criterion!
Did you have to send the faulty disc to the U.S.?

albucat

#402 Post by albucat » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:21 pm

Received my disc yesterday (but in the states).

hearthesilence

#403 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:17 am

A little off-topic, but just the other day, I overheard someone make the critical remark "if I could wipe my ass with this [DVD]..." and naturally I thought of this thread title.

Bruce

#404 Post by Bruce » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:06 am

Graham wrote:
Bruce wrote:I'm in the UK and I received my replacement disc of 'Walkabout' yesterday - that was earlier than I was expecting, so well done Criterion!
Did you have to send the faulty disc to the U.S.?
Yes.

hearthesilence

#405 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:20 pm

A quick question: I have a Monterey Pop box set, which I bought new from Criterion when it was released, and right now both play just fine. One disc clearly has the codes for the potential problem discs, the other does not seem to have any codes at all.

Are these box sets typically assembled later on? I'm just wondering if both discs should have come from the same pressing plant - like, because of the way the sets are assembled, it would be unlikely that discs manufactured from different plants/companies would be used in the same set.

captveg

#406 Post by captveg » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:21 pm

I received my replacement for Monterey Pop today.

aox

#407 Post by aox » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:48 pm

How long is the turn around generally? I think I mailed my two discs two weeks ago.

hearthesilence

#408 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:19 am

Some people got their replacements after a little over a month, but FWIW, I think it depends on the stock they have for certain titles. For example, titles that weren't on their original list seem to take longer. (I get the feeling the ones on the list were re-pressed first, but again, it took awhile to get them - they definitely didn't have them on hand when they made their first official announcement.)

AtlantaFella

#409 Post by AtlantaFella » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:07 am

I waited for the initial rush to die down. Sent in my discs (all on the official list except for Summer Hours) and received the replacements in about a week and a half... including both OOPs.

Rustle

#410 Post by Rustle » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:38 pm

I finally got around to assessing my potentially affected BDs. I owned every one on the official list plus every one on the various worrywart lists. My only bad one was Summer Hours, defective in exactly the anticipated place and way.

But dig this: I mailed it back to Criterion, got my replacement BD clearly stamped 2nd Pressing, and it has a similar problem. Not nearly as severe as the 1st Pressing disc which froze irretrievably at the prescribed place, this 2nd Pressing disc skips and jumps at about the same place but I am able to FF or chapter skip ahead of the problem and watch the rest of the feature.

I emailed JM twice and have gotten no response. I wouldn't blame Criterion if they think I'm confused or stupid, but I'm not in this case. The 2nd pressing Summer Hours that I was sent as a replacement has essentially the same problem.

warren oates

#411 Post by warren oates » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:41 pm

Aw, crap, thanks for the heads up. Gonna have to try mine out now too.

Rustle

#412 Post by Rustle » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:47 pm

warren oates wrote:Aw, crap, thanks for the heads up. Gonna have to try mine out now too.
I dread returning mine with or without correspondence from JM. Whatever intern opens the envelope is going to see the 2nd Pressing stamp and send it right back to me.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#413 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:47 am

Does anyone know if Criterion is still exchanging discs?

subliminac

#414 Post by subliminac » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:01 pm

Yes. I just sent in a Solaris disk I had an issue with. So long as their players can replicate the problem I was told I would get a replacement. Don't see why they wouldn't do the same for a brown disk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ianthemovie

#415 Post by ianthemovie » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:06 pm

Since I recently bought a bunch of these titles I opened them to check the codes and I was surprised to find that my copy of Bigger Than Life has no information at all printed on the data side of the disc. I would say that maybe it's a bootleg but I ordered it directly from the Criterion store.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#416 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:07 pm

Mine's the same and I ordered it when it came out right from Criterion (it was, in fact, the release that tipped me to finally get a Blu-Ray player!)

Rustle

#417 Post by Rustle » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:10 pm

Same here for /Bigger Than Life/. I also will add that playback problems with my allegedly corrected copy of /Summer Hours/ have gotten worse since I originally posted on the subject last July.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#418 Post by swo17 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:11 pm

I watched my replacement of Summer Hours a few months ago and it played just fine.

ianthemovie

#419 Post by ianthemovie » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:22 pm

Glad to know my Bigger Than Life isn't an anomaly. I just scrubbed through it and it seems to play fine. Have any issues with this title been confirmed?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#420 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:24 pm

I compared it to a lot of recent Criterions and I think a lot of Blu-rays are just somewhat bronzey in complexion to begin with. Compared to Summer Hours, which I still haven't traded in and which has literally begun to seep sticky glue (?) from the edges, it looks fine! I'm more worried about trading in my Pierrot Le fou disc

mizo

#421 Post by mizo » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:28 pm

domino harvey wrote:I'm more worried about trading in my Pierrot Le fou disc
Simple - just call Criterion pretending to be Anna Karina's agent and say she needs a replacement for the copy she got from the closet.

richast2

#422 Post by richast2 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:06 am

Has anyone else had trouble with their House disc? I watched mine over the weekend, and around 51 minutes or so (around the layer change) the disc skipped forward 5-10 minutes. I checked my disc and it doesn't look scratched or bronzed.

I bought it right when it came out--has there been an updated printing?

hearthesilence

#423 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:46 pm

Well, my copy of MONTEREY POP has gone to hell. It played fine when the bronzing issue was first announced so I thought it had been spared, but here we are a few years later and even though the disc itself looks fine, it freezes right at the start of the feature.

And a newly acquired copy of REPULSION is doing that as well - freezes at chapter 8 and beyond. Both have the dreaded "10K7" pressed very faintly on the hub.

rrenault

#424 Post by rrenault » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:20 pm

subliminac wrote:Yes. I just sent in a Solaris disk I had an issue with. So long as their players can replicate the problem I was told I would get a replacement. Don't see why they wouldn't do the same for a brown disk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What sort of issues were you having with Solaris if I may ask? I was encountering issues with that one myself.

subliminac

#425 Post by subliminac » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:28 pm

The disk began skipping right around the climactic zero gravity scene and remained unwatchable through the end.