How Now Brown Blu-rays

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
captveg

Re: How Now Brown Blu-rays

#376 Post by captveg » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:39 pm

Mulvaney responded to the OOP discs inquiry for a bluray.com forum member:

Hello,

Any title on the list above that has trouble playing will be replaced, even HOWARDS END. I hope this helps!

Best,
Jon

Yaanu

#377 Post by Yaanu » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:17 pm

captveg wrote:Mulvaney responded to the OOP discs inquiry for a bluray.com forum member:

Hello,

Any title on the list above that has trouble playing will be replaced, even HOWARDS END. I hope this helps!

Best,
Jon
Oh, sweet. I just sent mine in earlier today, throwing caution to the wind.
I wonder if they'll announce any expansions to their list, though. After the reports of Stagecoach suffering from the browning, I'm paranoid that mine is affected. Which it might be. Did I already say that it was? I forget.

wllm995

#378 Post by wllm995 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:00 pm

The latest in today from Jon Mulvaney:
We don't have the replacement discs in yet, but we
expect them to arrive within the next two weeks. As soon as we receive
the discs we will send the replacements out as quickly as possible.
FWIW.

:|

Yaanu

#379 Post by Yaanu » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:27 pm

wllm995 wrote:
We don't have the replacement discs in yet, but we
expect them to arrive within the next two weeks. As soon as we receive
the discs we will send the replacements out as quickly as possible.
At the very least, it's an ETA.
I'm going to assume the delay is because they asked for discs specifically, since they can't just raid B&Ns nearby and rip out clean discs from the store shelves.

rrenault

#380 Post by rrenault » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:59 am

Any word on shipping internationally?

wllm995

#381 Post by wllm995 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:54 pm

Mulvaney wrote:We are asking that every customer send in their bronzed/unplayable discs for replacements, even if you live in Canada or overseas. Please include only your disc -- no packaging -- along with the address to which you'd like us to mail your replacement.

FrauBlucher

#382 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:18 pm

Today, I received an email from Jon Mulvaney saying replacements are in and they're going to start shipping.

hearthesilence

#383 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:03 am

Did anyone send in discs that weren't on the list posted by Criterion? Wondering if I should send my copy of Stagecoach, which is beginning to brown.

Yaanu

#384 Post by Yaanu » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:34 am

hearthesilence wrote:Did anyone send in discs that weren't on the list posted by Criterion? Wondering if I should send my copy of Stagecoach, which is beginning to brown.
Personally, I wouldn't send it in outright. Email them first.
I'm sure at this point they've received several complaints about Stagecoach, but one more couldn't possibly hurt, right?

albucat

#385 Post by albucat » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:47 pm

Does anyone know when we're supposed to receive the replacements (or alternately, has anyone received one so far)?

captveg

#386 Post by captveg » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:24 pm

I sent in Monterey Pop since it was essentially unplayable. I had already sent an email regarding it and included a short letter with my shipment (which also included M and Howards End), so we'll see what happens.

hearthesilence

#387 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:10 pm

Just found out that my copy of Wings of Desire freezes and skips ahead around the hour mark. It doesn't look like its bronzing, but it's definitely got the same manufacturing codes as the other problem discs.

AfterTheFlood

#388 Post by AfterTheFlood » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:46 pm

hearthesilence wrote:Just found out that my copy of Wings of Desire freezes and skips ahead around the hour mark. It doesn't look like its bronzing, but it's definitely got the same manufacturing codes as the other problem discs.
I've gone through my entire collection of blu rays and have found 13 films in total that have the notorious "ccxxxxx" label on the back. And each of them are bronzing, including "Wings of Desire". As irritating as this ordeal is, at least it's only 13 films and not more. Stagecoach is still playing fine but I doubt for long.

TMDaines

#389 Post by TMDaines » Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:37 am

Oh, this sucks: my Paris, Texas disc isn't a CCxxxxxxxx and looks fine, but my 8 1/2 and Wings of Desire are and one is noticeably more brown than the other. Gonna have to test them all later.

bdsweeney

#390 Post by bdsweeney » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:56 am

TMDaines wrote:Oh, this sucks: my Paris, Texas disc isn't a CCxxxxxxxx and looks fine, but my 8 1/2 and Wings of Desire are and one is noticeably more brown than the other. Gonna have to test them all later.
Sorry to cover old ground ... but is it only the discs with a CCxxxxxxx code (like my Pierrot le Fou has) which we need to be concerned about? I just want to confirm which codes have been attached to the faulty discs. Thanks in advance ...

hearthesilence

#391 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:10 am

As mentioned before, the particular pressing run(s) that has this issue is essentially the first pressing for all of the titles involved.

As a result, the pressings I have that are not effected are basically the ones I held off buying because I wasn't nearly as eager to own them. It's the ones you'd rush out to get - the favorites - that now have to be exchanged. Kinda makes the whole thing even more annoying.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#392 Post by swo17 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:07 pm

Remember that the most important thing to check is to actually play the disc (fast forwarded), and also that not every copy is affected. I bought most of these potentially problematic titles right when they came out, but the only ones that had gone bad were M and Summer Hours.

AfterTheFlood

#393 Post by AfterTheFlood » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:09 pm

hearthesilence wrote:As mentioned before, the particular pressing run(s) that has this issue is essentially the first pressing for all of the titles involved.

As a result, the pressings I have that are not effected are basically the ones I held off buying because I wasn't nearly as eager to own them. It's the ones you'd rush out to get - the favorites - that now have to be exchanged. Kinda makes the whole thing even more annoying.

I didn't start buying Criterion blus until June 2011 at the store, a full two years after the problem discs starting being made from the first run. Like I said, every disc I have (13 in all) with the ccxxxx labeling on the back is very obviously going bad. Some still play but I wouldn't count on them to work much longer.

albucat

#394 Post by albucat » Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:44 pm

I still wish they gave an ETA for the returns, or offered an acknowledgment of some sort that things have been received. I feel like I sent my disc (fortunately only one) out into the void and am just hoping something gets sent back.

boywonder

#395 Post by boywonder » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:45 pm

FYI: I received my new copies of "M" and "Walkabout" last week from Criterion. I also got a $10 Criterion gift card a week earlier when they sent the corrected copy of "Erasurehead".

I sent everything in at one time, but they processed it in two shipments. I forgot to put my email address on my returns, and was a little nervous. However, everything was hunky dory in the end.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#396 Post by swo17 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:54 pm

***waits for someone more adept at Photoshop to paste Andy Bell's head onto Jack Nance's***

boywonder

#397 Post by boywonder » Mon Nov 17, 2014 4:04 pm

swo17 wrote:***waits for someone more adept at Photoshop to paste Andy Bell's head onto Jack Nance's***
Yah .... whatever ...

kekid

#398 Post by kekid » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:43 pm

If one of the questionable discs is not yet affected, what is the probability that they will develop problem later? Is it best to simply return the listed discs?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#399 Post by swo17 » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:44 pm

No. If they go bad later, you can exchange them at that time.

Bruce

#400 Post by Bruce » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:50 am

I'm in the UK and I received my replacement disc of 'Walkabout' yesterday - that was earlier than I was expecting, so well done Criterion!