Criterion References, TV, and You

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Luke M

Criterion References, TV, and You

#1 Post by Luke M » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:37 pm

How did you guys miss Alex's “I just got the Criterion Collection of Clueless, so I’ll see you guys later. I hope not sporadically!” line?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Happy Endings

#2 Post by domino harvey » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:39 pm

I'm sure someone could do a supercut of all the make believe Criterion Collection jokes on assorted TV shows. It's not even a recent trend, Autumn Reeser did one eight years ago on the OC!

Luke M

#3 Post by Luke M » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:56 pm

Oh wow, that's the first time I ever heard Criterion Collection mentioned on a show. I never saw the OC but Autumn Reeser won me over with her short stint on Entourage.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4 Post by domino harvey » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:00 pm

Her character on the OC at one point also invites Rachel Bilson over for a sleepover to watch the Decalogue!

Murdoch

#5 Post by Murdoch » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:09 pm

O.C. producer Josh Schwartz is quite the cinephile, I remember Hilary Duff saying "I love Go-dard" on Gossip Girl.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#6 Post by domino harvey » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:37 am

Ha, and by happenstance, just yesterday I watched an episode of the OC where Ryan Atwood of all characters is shown handling the Criterion edition of Solaris

colinr0380

#7 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:40 am

Do they talk in depth about the debate surrounding the blue tinting to the scenes, or was it the Blu-ray? I need to know immediately!!

Andre Jurieu

#8 Post by Andre Jurieu » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:40 pm

Luke M wrote:How did you guys miss Alex's “I just got the Criterion Collection of Clueless, so I’ll see you guys later. I hope not sporadically!” line?
Luke M wrote:Oh wow, that's the first time I ever heard Criterion Collection mentioned on a show. I never saw the OC...
Well, I assume this means you ignore my posts entirely since I've pointed out both of those Criterion Collection mentions almost the day after the episodes aired. I will try not to take this personally and hope that my ego recovers slowly over time.
domino harvey wrote:I'm sure someone could do a supercut of all the make believe Criterion Collection jokes on assorted TV shows
It would obviously start with Kenny Powers offering Stevie his "Criterion Collections" edition of Friends, Season 6 (and Eastbound & Down actually made their reference to Criterion on the same week as Happy Endings).

The Narrator Returns

#9 Post by The Narrator Returns » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:56 pm

There's also the scene in Delocated where Jon Glaser tells FBI agents to get a Russian mole "the Criterion edition of Face/Off, it's got extras on it".

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#10 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:10 pm

Andre Jurieu wrote:Well, I assume this means you ignore my posts entirely since I've pointed out both of those Criterion Collection mentions almost the day after the episodes aired. I will try not to take this personally and hope that my ego recovers slowly over time.
I just spent actual minutes confirming his story and it checks out. Points subtracted for not mentioning in a timely fashion that Ryan's dad used Frank Perry as his pseudonym, though

Do we have an OC thread? I recently finished the whole series (as you could probably guess from the last couple posts here) and it's one of the few shows I can think of that actually got drastically better in its last season!

Professor Wagstaff

Re: Criterion References, TV, and You

#11 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:28 pm

In the last season of "Fringe", Walter laments having to destroy his laserdisc player by saying, "Criterion Collection, forgive me."

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#12 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:30 pm

It's a little scary that Googling "Criterion Collection references" already turns up this thread as the fifth hit, considering I only just split it off minutes ago!

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#13 Post by jindianajonz » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:59 pm

domino harvey wrote:It's a little scary that Googling "Criterion Collection references" already turns up this thread as the fifth hit, considering I only just split it off minutes ago!
I've actually had quite a few instances where googling information on films (even ones not in the collection) have returned with this site ranking among the first few hits.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#14 Post by cdnchris » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:36 pm

There's an episode of Frasier where Niles tries to talk everyone into watching The Unbearable Lightness of Being and he's holding the Criterion version. Ross doesn't approve.

flyonthewall2983

#15 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:43 am

I think the DiNozzo character on NCIS name-dropped Criterion once (ironic considering both the actor playing the character and Mark Harmon are both in Criterion films).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#16 Post by domino harvey » Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:32 pm

Discussion of the OC moved to the Josh Schwartz thread

roujin

#17 Post by roujin » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:02 am

I remember in Gossip Girl, one of the characters was going to a friend's house to have a marathon session of Berlin Alexanderplatz.

manicsounds

#18 Post by manicsounds » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:32 pm

Although not in an actual episode, one of the commentary tracks of "Parks and Recreation" talks about a hopeful future Criterion edition of "Parks and Recreation" releases.

djproject

#19 Post by djproject » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:17 pm

roujin wrote:I remember in Gossip Girl, one of the characters was going to a friend's house to have a marathon session of Berlin Alexanderplatz.
And, of course, in The Critic, Jay Sherman declares they (he and his son Marty) will rent Berlin Alexanderplatz ... to wit, Marty replies "Again?"

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#20 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 04, 2017 3:59 pm

domino harvey wrote:Her character on the OC at one point also invites Rachel Bilson over for a sleepover to watch the Decalogue!
Did Criterion just tweet out screencaps of this scene?

miless

#21 Post by miless » Sat May 06, 2017 3:18 pm

I was quite tickled at some of the "Criterion" references in the new season of MST3K. the two that I remember off the top of my head were jokes relating to Tati in Reptilicus and Solaris in Cry Wilderness.

Minkin

#22 Post by Minkin » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:44 am

Sorry, this isn't a Criterion related reference (perhaps late night tv could've worked), but this is as good as I can find.

Has the movie: Monster from the Ocean Floor been mentioned on tv or news or anything lately (or perhaps a remake is in the works)? I've been inundated with emails from people asking about the DVD that I was selling on Amazon (since sold to someone who didn't even email me). I can't figure out why there's so many people interested in it all of a sudden, so I assume it was referenced somewhere recently.

colinr0380

#23 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:43 pm

Here's another one: Me and Earl and the Dying Girl has amongst many film references one of the main characters adorning his wall with Criterion branded covers of The 400 Blows and in the final shot the cover to Berlin Alexanderplatz appears (and the Criterion Collection gets a "Special Thanks" in the end credits)

(The local store is rife with them: Hands Over The City, Paths Of Glory Fish Tank, posters for Burden of Dreams, Jules et Jim and La Jetee, and laserdiscs for Andrei Rublev, Dead Ringers, Hamlet and Earrings of Madame De...! Plus a brief partial shot of Jeanne Dielman in the DVD sale box!)
Last edited by colinr0380 on Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#24 Post by domino harvey » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:47 pm

Two of the three titular characters also watch Takes of Hoffman with Scorsese's Criterion commentary

colinr0380

#25 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:51 pm