Criterion and Dual Format

The scuttlebutt on Criterion, Eclipse, and Janus Films. Lists and polls are STRONGLY discouraged.
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
swo17
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
Location: SLC, UT

Re: Criterion and Dual Format

#626 Post by swo17 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:30 pm

I agree with the OP, it's so much more convenient having to go to the library whenever I need the DVDs

User avatar
Big Ben
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:54 pm
Location: Great Falls, Montana

Re: Criterion and Dual Format

#627 Post by Big Ben » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:30 pm

What in the goddamn? Y'all are being serious? You throw away something that doesn't take up extra space?

User avatar
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm

Re: Criterion and Dual Format

#628 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:34 pm

Oh Big Ben, we had to deal with this nonsense every day the entire time dual format was a thing

User avatar
FrauBlucher
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Greenwich Village

Re: Criterion and Dual Format

#629 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:57 pm

Rasputin lives on in this thread.

User avatar
aox
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:02 pm
Location: nYc

Re: Criterion and Dual Format

#630 Post by aox » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:17 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:07 pm
You are both aware the case holds both and there's no reason to discard the extra disc? Okay, great
I still have mine. The extra wide jewel cases and digis just look weird/funny to me. Also in 20 years, I have never used a DVD, CD, or any other disc as a coaster defying the internet hyperbolic parlance of our time.

User avatar
FrauBlucher
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Greenwich Village

Re: Criterion and Dual Format

#631 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:26 pm

Persona dual format is listed as not available, although it was earlier in day. This should be the next title to get a separate dvd and bluray release.

User avatar
Yaanu
Joined: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:18 am

Re: Criterion and Dual Format

#632 Post by Yaanu » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:37 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:26 pm
Persona dual format is listed as not available, although it was earlier in day. This should be the next title to get a separate dvd and bluray release.
It's now listed on the site as being back-ordered. Whether or not a split is incoming remains to be seen, though.

yoloswegmaster
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:57 pm

Re: Criterion and Dual Format

#633 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:26 pm

'Picnic at Hanging Rock' and 'Fantastic Mr. Fox' could be losing the Dual Format since they have been added to the "Coming Soon" section.

User avatar
captveg
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:28 pm

Re: Criterion and Dual Format

#634 Post by captveg » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:48 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:26 pm
'Picnic at Hanging Rock' and 'Fantastic Mr. Fox' could be losing the Dual Format since they have been added to the "Coming Soon" section.
Looks like the BD and DVD separate editions for Fantastic Mr. Fox, as well as the BD edition of Picnic at Hanging Rock are coming next week on 4/2/19, per Amazon. (Picnic's DVD only edition was released in 2014).

User avatar
mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection
Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 4:43 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: Criterion and Dual Format

#635 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:31 pm

I get horrible flashbacks of people being totally ridiculous every time this thread is bumped

yoloswegmaster
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:57 pm

Re: Criterion and Dual Format

#636 Post by yoloswegmaster » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:44 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:31 pm
I get horrible flashbacks of people being totally ridiculous every time this thread is bumped
Really, why?

User avatar
cdnchris
Site Admin
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:45 pm
Location: Washington
Contact:

Re: Criterion and Dual Format

#637 Post by cdnchris » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:17 pm

Because people got fucking stupid.

"Agh! My digipak got a ding in the corner!"
"Agh! These 3-disc cases are 2mm thicker than their regular ones!"
"Agh! What the fuck am I supposed to do with this/these extra disc(s) that doesn't/don't actually inconvenience me in any way!"
"Agh! I still buy DVDs and I don't like these shorter cases!"

User avatar
swo17
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
Location: SLC, UT

Re: Criterion and Dual Format

#638 Post by swo17 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:21 pm

They shoulda called it DUEL format, because it was a slap in the face, like how you initiate a duel

User avatar
Randall Maysin
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:26 pm

Re: Criterion and Dual Format

#639 Post by Randall Maysin » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:25 pm

It's called overstatement.

User avatar
fdm
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:25 pm

Re: Criterion and Dual Format

#640 Post by fdm » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:29 pm

Good riddance to them.

User avatar
kcota17
Joined: Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:05 pm

Re: Criterion and Dual Format

#641 Post by kcota17 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:30 pm

And because of it ending we had to suffer with almost no booklets and skimpier extras.

ianungstad
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:20 pm

Re: Criterion and Dual Format

#642 Post by ianungstad » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:05 pm

I think it's more likely that institutional buyers like libraries and Universities didn't purchase the dual format releases. I know a lot of libraries stock Criterion and have dedicated dvd sections but don't carry blu-ray releases at all. My local library still carries only dvd and offers streaming rentals via sites like Kanopy.

User avatar
swo17
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
Location: SLC, UT

Re: Criterion and Dual Format

#643 Post by swo17 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:11 pm

Well my library definitely buys dual format Arrow releases, and often splits them out so they get two separate BD and DVD listings for the price of one

Glowingwabbit
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 1:27 pm

Re: Criterion and Dual Format

#644 Post by Glowingwabbit » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:36 pm

We only buy blu-ray releases at my library if it comes with a DVD, so the dual format criterions were great. The general population never really moved on from DVD to warrant having a separate blu-ray collection.

We also get the Arrow dual formats. That's an interesting idea about separating them. I'm gonna pass that one along.

User avatar
Minkin
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: Criterion and Dual Format

#645 Post by Minkin » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:21 am

To be fair, the 3-disc Dual format digipacks were awful (no wonder they switched over to plastic cases). I went through three copies of Fantastic Mr Fox before I got a DVD that wasn't scratched / damaged (the kind of damage where the film would stop playing). All because the DVD would somehow impale itself on the plastic hub below; not sure why this was only a problem in the Dual digipacks.

But on the whole, they were a great idea while they lasted, who doesn't like free DVDs? (everyone apparently)

User avatar
FrauBlucher
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Greenwich Village

Re: Criterion and Dual Format

#646 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:28 am

It's a shame that people with OCD have to be criticized :wink:

User avatar
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Criterion and Dual Format

#647 Post by tenia » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:40 am

Minkin wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:21 am
who doesn't like free DVDs?
I have no use for them so they basically represented for me wasted planet resources. In this regard, I'd suppose cardboard over plastic cases was better, though.
I however need to check what the DVDs in my DF copies look like because since I never ever used them, maybe they're badly scratched and I actually never realised it (not that I care, though).
kcota17 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:30 pm
And because of it ending we had to suffer with almost no booklets and skimpier extras.
Seems a bit of a simplification, no ?

User avatar
Minkin
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: Criterion and Dual Format

#648 Post by Minkin » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:18 am

tenia wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:40 am
Minkin wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:21 am
who doesn't like free DVDs?
I have no use for them so they basically represented for me wasted planet resources.
Libraries, friends & family members, and college students like free DVDs

Criterion tries to get us to be nice and share with each other, and we ruin that too! :P

User avatar
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Criterion and Dual Format

#649 Post by tenia » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:50 am

Being a walking contradiction, I'm in France :oops: , so my friends and family members will most likely be uninterested by region 1 locked foreign movies only subtitled in English ! :P
However, your point certainly is valid in the States.

mteller
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:23 pm

Re: Criterion and Dual Format

#650 Post by mteller » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:24 am

For the most part I don't mind having a few extra DVDs I'm never going to touch, but I do hate how much space the Demy box takes up on my shelf. Also I've been holding off on the WCF sets hoping for Blu only boxes.

Post Reply