Archived Criterion Streaming Discussion

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
RSTooley

Re: Criterion on Hulu, iTunes, and Amazon

#1076 Post by RSTooley » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:15 am

RSTooley wrote:Jacques Tati's Playtime is featured in this week's Criterion Picks on Fandor, so I can only assume that Playtime and (perhaps) the rest of Tati's filmography will be uploaded to Hulu sometime soon.

EDIT: It looks as though Playtime is being advertised by accident as it is not included on Fandor's newsletter, nor is it available to stream despite being displayed on Fandor's main page. I imagine this was a mistake and Tati's work will be on display in an upcoming week.
Playtime was added to Hulu+ this morning with an expiration date of 10 days. Like other titles, I don't expect the service to take the film down after the expiration period.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1077 Post by swo17 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:36 am

I'm still waiting for them to release Playtime on hdmi.

RSTooley

#1078 Post by RSTooley » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:25 pm

The English language versions of Stromboli and Europe '51 were added over the weekend to commemorate the 100th birthday of Ingrid Bergman. I believe this is the first time Europe '51 (aka Europa '51) has been available on Hulu.

TraverseTown

#1079 Post by TraverseTown » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:32 am

Anyone have any insight into titles being removed from Hulu? I no longer see Playtime, but that may have been expected with the expiration date.

The entire Five Films from Cassavetes used to be on Hulu. I see Shadows & A Woman Under Influence are still there, but Faces, Chinese Bookie, and Opening Night are not.

RSTooley

#1080 Post by RSTooley » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:00 am

Actually, Playtime was not expected to be removed, as films that are uploaded to Hulu are typically pinned with an expiration date then stick around anyway.

I will say that I know that The Ruling Class was recently removed from Hulu, but it had a longstanding expiration date.

The removal of half of Cassavetes' catalogue is both confusing and disconcerting. I thought I was paying for Hulu so that I could have access to Criterion's entire streaming video library... I highly doubt the streaming rights to these films have expired. I may email Mulvaney.

sir_luke

#1081 Post by sir_luke » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:22 am

Could the Cassavetes issue have something to do with the fact that Shout! Factory have shared streaming rights for the Westchester films?

hearthesilence

#1082 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:56 pm

From the NYTimes: "Hulu announced Wednesday that it was starting a commercial-free version of its streaming service, costing $12 a month, in its latest effort to enhance its offerings and become a stronger rival to Netflix and Amazon."

Noiradelic

#1083 Post by Noiradelic » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:55 pm

If they really want to rival Netflix, they should charge the same $8.99 Netflix charges for commercial-free service.

Of course, since they're owned by Fox, ABC and NBC and they don't want to undercut their broadcast business too much, it's not going to happen anytime soon.

buskeat66

#1084 Post by buskeat66 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:20 pm

RSTooley wrote:Actually, Playtime was not expected to be removed, as films that are uploaded to Hulu are typically pinned with an expiration date then stick around anyway.

I will say that I know that The Ruling Class was recently removed from Hulu, but it had a longstanding expiration date.

The removal of half of Cassavetes' catalogue is both confusing and disconcerting. I thought I was paying for Hulu so that I could have access to Criterion's entire streaming video library... I highly doubt the streaming rights to these films have expired. I may email Mulvaney.
The Ruling Class and the Cassavetes films are now up on Fandor and not part of the Criterion Picks in which the films expire in 12 days.

https://www.fandor.com/films/the_ruling_class" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.fandor.com/filmmakers/direc ... cassavetes" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gubarenko

#1085 Post by gubarenko » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:18 am

Is any of you sitting on nice site called Letterboxd?
There were couple of lists that showed complete criterion on Hulu, but they weren't updated.
So i've decided to make my own. Here it is http://boxd.it/t0nI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

gubarenko

#1086 Post by gubarenko » Fri Oct 23, 2015 7:14 am

Spine #775: A Room with a View been added today for 10 days

Minkin

#1087 Post by Minkin » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:04 am

The following are on Fandor this week, thus they will be on Hulu soon:

KIESLOWSKI, Krzysztof - The Scar - 1976
KIESLOWSKI, Krzysztof - Camera Buff - 1979
KIESLOWSKI, Krzysztof - No End - 1985
KIESLOWSKI, Krzysztof - A Short Film About Killing - 1988
KIESLOWSKI, Krzysztof - A Short Film About Love - 1988

This was mentioned in the forthcoming thread, but the last/bolded one wasn't otherwise known at that time, but is now up on their Kieslowski stream-athon.

gubarenko

#1088 Post by gubarenko » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:03 am

As you predicted they've added everything

FrauBlucher

#1089 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:37 pm

doh286

#1090 Post by doh286 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:56 pm

All of the Tati films except Parade and the Lady Snowblood films are now on the Hulu channel.

RSTooley

#1091 Post by RSTooley » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:54 pm

Cassavetes' Shadows is no longer available to stream on Hulu, leaving A Woman Under the Influence his final film available to stream on the website.

RSTooley

#1092 Post by RSTooley » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:28 pm

Strangely, Mikey and Nicky is no longer available to stream via Hulu, iTunes, or Amazon. Unfortunately, this makes me think that a future Criterion release of the title is now in jeopardy.

Randall Maysin

#1093 Post by Randall Maysin » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:35 pm

RSTooley wrote:this makes me think that a future Criterion release of the title is now in jeopardy.
Well, that's a good at least :) .

albucat

#1094 Post by albucat » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:52 pm

May be the case, but sometimes they simply lose track of their releases on digital platforms, as weird as that may sound.

doh286

#1095 Post by doh286 » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:36 pm

Cassavetes' Shadows is back on the Hulu channel.

hearthesilence

#1096 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:18 pm

Anyone have any good purchase recommendations from iTunes? I strongly prefer physical media, but every once in a while I will purchase a download simply because there's no physical release available, or a physical release is available but it's an overpriced burn-on-demand sourced from a crappy master. (FWIW, I still prefer watching a good DVD than an HD download - IMHO, a good upscaled DVD will look better than a highly compressed HD download that has even less data than the DVD).

It doesn't have to be a Criterion-owned title, either. FWIW, the last two titles I bought off iTunes were the "restored" version of Greed and Housekeeping. (I highly recommend the latter, I was fortunate enough to see Bill Forsyth present a new 35mm print that was screened at Film Forum in 2009 - it's my favorite of his films, but it's a monumental disappointment that Sony went to the trouble of striking a 35mm print without ever giving this a physical media release, much less a Blu-Ray release.)

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1097 Post by swo17 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:20 pm

They actually did release it MOD, but point taken.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1098 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:23 pm

The Better Angels, produced by Malick and clearly indebted to him, is only available in HD from iTunes and isn't really worth watching in SD on a DVD. This was my brief writeup from the Films of 2014 thread. And the Polish Brothers' For Lovers Only was of course one of the first big straight-to-iTunes success stories and as far as I know has never been available on a physical release

TMDaines

#1099 Post by TMDaines » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:06 am

iTunes Italy is full of HD releases of films that were only released on SD unfortunately. Germany has a good number too.

Roscoe

#1100 Post by Roscoe » Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:07 am

Glad to see some love for HOUSEKEEPING -- the iTunes download looks good, as does the MOD DVD. I too was at that Film Forum screening with Forsyth. God bless and keep him.