Archived Criterion Streaming Discussion

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
gubarenko

Re: Criterion on Hulu, iTunes, and Amazon

#1051 Post by gubarenko » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:22 am

It's look like its new policy of criterion to add new movies for a certain time. I like because it's now a priority watch/rewatch for me. Though it's bad :)

gubarenko

#1052 Post by gubarenko » Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:17 pm

English version of Journey To Italy added to Hulu+, again on limited time. Seen only italian version that was before. Should i rematch it?

TMDaines

#1053 Post by TMDaines » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:06 am

The English is THE version to watch. Italian is for all intents and purposes a dub for a specific market.

albucat

#1054 Post by albucat » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:03 am

I've been wondering if this is actually just a user error. They had a long period of accidentally losing uploaded extras, and the occasional films, just by accident through using Hulu's system. When I emailed them about some missing movies that had been there, they put them back up. Say there's a new intern uploading these and forgetting to check the box that says "never expires"--that's all it takes.

jwd5275

#1055 Post by jwd5275 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:59 am

This has happened before a couple times. It has always been (at least according to Criterion) an error on Hulu's end and they fix it soon after being notified. Nothing has ever expired (with the exception of the Tati films, which they lost the rights to). All you need to do is send off an email to Mulvaney notifying Criterion of the issue.

RSTooley

#1056 Post by RSTooley » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:22 pm

gubarenko wrote:English version of Journey To Italy added to Hulu+, again on limited time. Seen only italian version that was before. Should i rematch it?
The english version of the film no longer has an expiration date (for Hulu+ users). So, if there was a problem, it has been fixed.

Edit: La Cienaga was not removed from Hulu+ and is now displayed without an expiration date. It looks as though they are not removing the films after a few days (as previously theorized) and this makes me happy. \:D/

gubarenko

#1057 Post by gubarenko » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:33 am

Feet First on Hulu+ (Expiring In 10 Days) in Standard Definition.

The second and most popular talkie starring Harold Lloyd, Feet First has the actor playing an upstart shoe salesman who pretends to be a millionaire tycoon in order to impress a young lady he meets in Honolulu.

RSTooley

#1058 Post by RSTooley » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:11 am

Fandor's Criterion picks are up and includes Fellini's 8 1/2, so look for it to be added to Hulu on Friday.

Hopefully it sticks around for Hulu+ subscribers.

Minkin

#1059 Post by Minkin » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:56 pm

RSTooley wrote:Fandor's Criterion picks are up and includes Fellini's 8 1/2, so look for it to be added to Hulu on Friday.
Well this is very good news then - as the streaming rights had previously been with Image, thus it had never been on Hulu (only Itunes - which is a different sort of rights).

I assume this is part of the news we heard recently about Criterion picking up Image's "Video Library." I wonder what else we will expect to show up, as there are quite a lot of very exciting titles that could be part of that library (Bicycle Thieves is a given).

ianungstad

#1060 Post by ianungstad » Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:24 pm

Image doesn't own these films. They were licensed from Corinth films. It's a small library with only 6 films. (3 of which are in print via Criterion).

https://www.corinthfilms.com/classic.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Minkin

#1061 Post by Minkin » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:06 pm

ianungstad wrote:Image doesn't own these films. They were licensed from Corinth films. It's a small library with only 6 films. (3 of which are in print via Criterion).

https://www.corinthfilms.com/classic.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well, Corinth is probably part of Image's former "Video Library" - as the article mentioned from AudioBrandon, Films Inc. and others. In either case, Criterion licensed the 3 in-print films from Image - thus Criterion now skips the middleman and licenses them direct from Corinth (Image previously had some of the Corinth films streaming on Netflix). I still think it might be the start of something larger for Criterion's holdings - as we still don't know what else the library entails - and what other companies are involved.

At the very least, we might expect blurays/Hulu additions of the classic titles Corinth holds (what a weird, eclectic set of films btw - I wonder how Corinth ended up with them):

Bicycle Thieves
I Vitelloni
Oedipus Rex (1957)
Of Mice and Men (1939)
Bartleby (1970)

ianungstad

#1062 Post by ianungstad » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:58 pm

Criterion will certainly release Of Mice and Men. It's in fairly heavy rotation on TCM and is a very well regarded film. Not overly familiar on the other two.

Ribs

#1063 Post by Ribs » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:38 pm

Is it odd that Pygmalion is available from Criterion on Hulu even though it's OOP?

danieltiger

#1064 Post by danieltiger » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:28 am

Ribs wrote:Is it odd that Pygmalion is available from Criterion on Hulu even though it's OOP?
It's not really OOP. The mainline release is OOP because it's identical to the Essential Art House release. I keep hoping they'll upgrade it someday!

RSTooley

#1065 Post by RSTooley » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:49 am

Jacques Tati's Playtime is featured in this week's Criterion Picks on Fandor, so I can only assume that Playtime and (perhaps) the rest of Tati's filmography will be uploaded to Hulu sometime soon.

EDIT: It looks as though Playtime is being advertised by accident as it is not included on Fandor's newsletter, nor is it available to stream despite being displayed on Fandor's main page. I imagine this was a mistake and Tati's work will be on display in an upcoming week.
Last edited by RSTooley on Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jedgeco

#1066 Post by jedgeco » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:16 pm

I just signed up for Hulu (well, for the free month, anyway). Is there any way to tell which Criterion films are in real HD, as opposed to just upsampled SD? The only two I've watched so far were SD sources even though Hulu called them HD.

gubarenko

#1067 Post by gubarenko » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:25 pm

I haven't seen upscaled. Hulu always states sd or HD, and I don't see a reason for lie for them.

jedgeco

#1068 Post by jedgeco » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:37 pm

gubarenko wrote:I haven't seen upscaled. Hulu always states sd or HD, and I don't see a reason for lie for them.
Perhaps it was just the way I was navigating the site then? My work blocks streaming sites, so I can't check now, but I was pretty sure that I clicked the button to just show HD programming.

gubarenko

#1069 Post by gubarenko » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:38 pm

Can you tell me what you watched and think it's upscaled

jedgeco

#1070 Post by jedgeco » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:42 pm

Floating Clouds and The Story of the Last Chrysanthemums. But based on what you're saying, they were probably straight-up SD; I only said they were upscaled because I thought the listings were for HD, which again, I might have mistaken.

RSTooley

#1071 Post by RSTooley » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:11 pm

Both films are listed as being in 'HD' on Hulu's website, so who knows really...

Ribs

#1072 Post by Ribs » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:10 pm

They're probably just a poor-quality very old scan. I watched Story of Last Chrysanthemums a few months back and it's certainly not a great print but my memory of it is that it was clearly an HD print to begin with.

gubarenko

#1073 Post by gubarenko » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:01 am

jedgeco wrote:Floating Clouds and The Story of the Last Chrysanthemums. But based on what you're saying, they were probably straight-up SD; I only said they were upscaled because I thought the listings were for HD, which again, I might have mistaken.
maybe there's something in auto quality settings on your player, i use always maximum bitrate and not Auto as recommended on Hulu.

jedgeco

#1074 Post by jedgeco » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:40 pm

Ribs wrote:They're probably just a poor-quality very old scan. I watched Story of Last Chrysanthemums a few months back and it's certainly not a great print but my memory of it is that it was clearly an HD print to begin with.
OK, that makes sense, as Criterion's been doing HD transfers of pretty much everything since the late 90s/early 00s, even when the transfers were down-res'd for DVD; with Hulu, they don't have to do the down-conversion to SD, but they're not doing any kind of restoration or correction like they would for a Blu-ray.

gubarenko

#1075 Post by gubarenko » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:41 pm

I've read in some interview that even if blu-Ray was released it doesn't mean that they will update their Hulu HD with new copy.