Criterion and StudioCanal

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Tom Hagen

Re: Out Of Print: StudioCanal Snatches It All Away

#76 Post by Tom Hagen » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:26 pm

Well, at least there will still be plenty of copies of Hopscotch gathering dust on store shelves across this great land long after the title officially goes OOP.

Saturnome

#77 Post by Saturnome » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:48 pm

The Essential Arthouse are a sign they knew it for a while, so it's pretty safe to assume there's no future releases in danger of being cancelled?
Got myself Le Jour Se Lève, I'm not sure what else I should get...

Jeff

#78 Post by Jeff » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:54 pm

I notice that people on Facebook are worried about what Lionsgate will "do to" these titles. The thing is, Lionsgate probably won't be doing anything but distributing. It seems that StudioCanal is now producing titles themselves and then licensing them out as a package in different territories as "The StudioCanal Collection." They want to have their own international Criterion-style brand. In the U.S., the upcoming editions of Ran, Contempt, and The Ladykillers will be the first of these, and I'm sure many of the former Criterion titles will follow suit. I expect a StudioCanal Collection Blu of Pierrot will be released in the U.S. by the end of the year, since the U.K. version is out this month. I know I read somewhere recently that they are working on a Blu of Peeping Tom too. Hopefully the production quality of these titles will improve over the early releases.

fdm

#79 Post by fdm » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:05 pm

Saturnome wrote:The Essential Arthouse are a sign they knew it for a while, so it's pretty safe to assume there's no future releases in danger of being cancelled?
Got myself Le Jour Se Lève, I'm not sure what else I should get...
Kinda wondering if a possible Belle du Jour on Criterion has become less possible because of this.

Tribe
The Bastard Spawn of Hank Williams

#80 Post by Tribe » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:08 pm

Jeff wrote:I notice that people on Facebook are worried about what Lionsgate will "do to" these titles.
Well, lets not make any rush to judgment...after all, Joshua Goldberg, bless his pointy little head, hasn't weighed in yet.

LloydK

#81 Post by LloydK » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:13 pm

Last edited by LloydK on Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#82 Post by domino harvey » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:15 pm

There goes any chance that we'd see Germany Year 90 Nine Zero tacked onto an Alphaville redux

TMDaines

#83 Post by TMDaines » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:29 pm

Tribe wrote:
Jeff wrote:I notice that people on Facebook are worried about what Lionsgate will "do to" these titles.
Well, lets not make any rush to judgment...after all, Joshua Goldberg, bless his pointy little head, hasn't weighed in yet.
Well it's not as if any of the people who tend to post on the Criterion Facebook page represent themselves very well:

Mitch Park: This StudioCanal/Lionsgate news is beyond painful.

Clearly he has a hard life, which is going to made even harder knowing that spine #1 is no longer in print. :(

tajmahal

#84 Post by tajmahal » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:33 pm

I don't think it's all doom and gloom. While there have been issues with some of the Studio Canal prints, others were fine, and each from the first batch, at least, included some wonderful extras, including booklet. They were not bare-bones releases by any stretch. Hopefully they will drop the book-style packaging, and opt for a blu-ray case. I guess many will probably pre-order less, and wait for the verdict from beaver and blu-ray.com before jumping.

strangerinparadise

#85 Post by strangerinparadise » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:48 pm

david hare wrote:Yes. As an indicator great swathes of these Canal titles are getting ported release in Oz through Madman and Shock. Canal/Universal is obviously maxmimising its territorial profits from multiple licencing. But it seems to be holding onto the Blu rreleasing rights for itself with the Canal/Optimum/Lionsgate arrangement.
So, in other words, Madman's recent release of Le Corbeau is just a port of Criterion's transfer? Thanks in advance.

captveg

#86 Post by captveg » Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:51 pm

tajmahal wrote:I don't think it's all doom and gloom. While there have been issues with some of the Studio Canal prints, others were fine, and each from the first batch, at least, included some wonderful extras, including booklet. They were not bare-bones releases by any stretch. Hopefully they will drop the book-style packaging, and opt for a blu-ray case. I guess many will probably pre-order less, and wait for the verdict from beaver and blu-ray.com before jumping.
It looks like the US releases are in regular blu cases with a cardboard slip cover.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/attachments/bl ... tempt2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://forum.blu-ray.com/attachments/bl ... ntempt.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cinephrenic

#87 Post by Cinephrenic » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:28 pm

aox wrote:
dad1153 wrote:
captveg wrote:Ugh - Army of Shadows going OOP and not getting eventually a Criterion Blu would be awful.
Even if "Army of Shadows" doesn't go OOP, Criterion would be rightfully gun-shy about releasing another StudioCanal Blu-ray only to have the license yanked a few months into its (expectedly long) shelf life after their experience with "The Third Man" and "Pierrot le fou." If there were any plans (even remote) for an "Army of Shadows" BD today's announcement relegates it firmly to the backburner. :(
I'd prefer Le Samourai on Blu before any other Melville films, so this is good news for people that like bad news.
I couldn't agree more. One of the best crime films of the 60s. I wouldn't be surprised if all three (Cercle Rouge/Samourai,Army of Shadows) Melville lost rights.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#88 Post by cdnchris » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:38 pm

Le samourai isn't a Studio Canal title as far as I know. It was licenced from the same company they licenced Le deuxieme souffle from. I'm rather shocked Le cercle rouge wasn't one of the titles to go out of print but I still wouldn't be surprised if it went in the next wave.

I had been meaning to pick up Country Priest for a while so took the opportunity this time to pick it up. Other than that, I sadly had the rest of the titles.

agnamaracs

#89 Post by agnamaracs » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:06 pm

Look into LOST HONOR OF KATHARINA BLUM. StudioCanal's Facebook page lists that one as coming.

In other news, StudioCanal has a Facebook page...

fiddlesticks

Re: The Out Of Print Thread: Huge Criterion OOP Sale & More...

#90 Post by fiddlesticks » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:32 pm

Michael wrote:I've seen all the titles. The one going OOP that upsets me the most is Country of a Diary Priest.
I haven't seen that one; is it better than Priest of a Country Dairy? :D

Florinaldo

#91 Post by Florinaldo » Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:46 pm

It's nice of CC to let us know in advance of the upcoming OOP status of these titles. I am sure many people were taken totally by surprise when The Third Man BR became unavailable so suddenly.

I'll probably pick up 2 or 3 of the titles I do not already own. Not from the CC site though , since their shipping fees and new "handling" charges fpr Canadian orders, allegedly added to make transit faster, are rather usurious in nature.

I don't think though it will be enough to persuade me to finally purchase Diary of a Country Priest, the one Bresson film I truly loathe.
Last edited by Florinaldo on Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

HistoryProf

#92 Post by HistoryProf » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:30 pm

money's tight right now, but I had a $25 gc for B&N I was saving from xmas for the next 50% off sale coming in a few months (hopefully)...so went ahead and ordered Pierrot Le Fou on blu - that will obviously be the biggest OOP bonanza on ebay like 3rd man was...meaning it's most likely to get scarce quick and expensive quicker. so for five bucks had to at least grab that. thankfully I already have:

Le corbeau
Coup de torchon
Peeping Tom
Port of Shadows
Quai des Orfèvres
The Small Back Room
Trafic
Le trou

Amazingly, I got Quai and Port of Shadows just a week ago on ebay for about ten bucks each. tremendous luck there. The only titles on my wishlist otherwise are Hoffman, Grand Illusion, Fallen Idol, and Country Priest. Hopefully they are more like Ran in that they are available for awhile in retailers.

Cinephrenic

#93 Post by Cinephrenic » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:42 pm

Hopefully, all of those went out-of-print in exchange for Belle de jour.

HistoryProf

#94 Post by HistoryProf » Tue Feb 02, 2010 11:48 pm

Florinaldo wrote:It's nice of CC to let us know in advance of the upcoming OOP status of these titles. I am sure many people were taken totally by surprise when The Third Man BR became unavailable so suddenly.

I'll probably pick up 2 or 3 of the titles I do not already own. Not from the CC site though , since their shipping fees and new "handling" charges, allegedly added to make transit faster, are rather usurious in nature.

I don't think though it will be enough to persuade me to finally purchase Diary of a Country Priest, the one Bresson film I truly loathe.
what do they charge for shipping and "handling"???

ShellOilJunior

#95 Post by ShellOilJunior » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:15 am

I'd wait for Amazon to re-stock on Thursday.

I was fortunate enough to get a copy today.

Jeff

#96 Post by Jeff » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:47 am

HistoryProf wrote:what do they charge for shipping and "handling"???
Criterion is offering free standard shipping and handling to U.S. addresses right now. I just ordered four of the OOP titles with no shipping costs. I have Amazon Prime, but the Criterion price is substantially cheaper than the current Amazon prices on those titles.

Cinephrenic

#97 Post by Cinephrenic » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:56 am

HistoryProf wrote:what do they charge for shipping and "handling"???
Standard: arm
2nd Day: leg

kaujot

#98 Post by kaujot » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:07 am

When I ordered this morning, just after I found out they were going OOP, I got charged shipping. Though my order hasn't been charged through yet, so I hope they amend that.

ehimle

#99 Post by ehimle » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:12 am

its free shipping for anything over $50.
four titles should have pushed the previous poster over.

Jeff

#100 Post by Jeff » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:18 am

ehimle wrote:its free shipping for anything over $50.
four titles should have pushed the previous poster over.
Thanks. I didn't realize that's why my shipping was free. My order was $90-something.