Criterion and StudioCanal

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
knives

Re: Criterion and StudioCanal

#1101 Post by knives » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:12 pm

That wouldn't make sense as Crit are not the original rights holder.

jwd5275

#1102 Post by jwd5275 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:32 pm

Besides Ran and Tales of Hoffman, which of the oop StudioCanal titles have had recent restorations and would be ripe for reissue?

DRW.mov

#1103 Post by DRW.mov » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:43 pm

Any/All of the OOP Buñuel titles that StudioCanal dumped into a boxset together in Europe.

dwk

#1104 Post by dwk » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:03 pm

Léon Morin, prêtre
Le Corbeau

nitin

#1105 Post by nitin » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:25 pm

The Bunuel titles released in the UK were not restored (except Belle De Jour but like The Man Who Fell to Earth, the newer restoration looks worse than the previous release IMHO). Would be great though if Criterion could restor some of the Bunuels themselves though.

movielocke

#1106 Post by movielocke » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:36 am

jwd5275 wrote:Besides Ran and Tales of Hoffman, which of the oop StudioCanal titles have had recent restorations and would be ripe for reissue?
Since there has been a lot of new harvests of most of these films, it’s not really the limiting factor, labor is. in other words which producer does these films, they can only do so many and would be juggling studio canal reissues with their existing slate. And producers will of course be assigned their regular directors or titles they did before. if there’s a lot of overlap, say if the same producer does all the Godard and all the Melville then those ones overall will trickle back into print at a slower rate.

So it’d be a bit of research to figure out which producer has which films.

Then we can figure we will get about one of each producer’s SC titles every six months as producers generally have about two-three month gaps between releases and will still be responsible for their regular slate of releases.

But since there are six or seven producers, once they start releasing SC titles we can probably expect an initial wave of four titles (ran, third man, Pierrot, and grand illusion), and then a couple month gap with no releases, then probably a steady drip drip drip of one SC release a month for a while.

Ribs

#1107 Post by Ribs » Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:47 am

I do not think Criterion will be in a particular rush to re-upgrade the titles that SC has already put out on BD and remain in print when there’s a bevy of titles that haven’t been tapped thus far whatsoever. Ran, maybe, but I don’t really see the need for the others when there’s a ton that actually need a decent release.

movielocke

#1108 Post by movielocke » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:57 pm

Ribs wrote:I do not think Criterion will be in a particular rush to re-upgrade the titles that SC has already put out on BD and remain in print when there’s a bevy of titles that haven’t been tapped thus far whatsoever. Ran, maybe, but I don’t really see the need for the others when there’s a ton that actually need a decent release.
I don’t think the existence of other releases is a huge factor in their decision, maybe 10%. Its more about what they’re excited to work on and what they’re thrilled to have back and therefore will make room in their schedule for it because of that excitement and personal interest.

If they’re meh to release “the two of us” they’re not going to allocate resources to it just because it hasn’t had as many releases as other titles.

But even that producer interest only goes so far in terms of releases, look at the abc films/Hitchcock releases, an initial wave from the new licensing agreement (Rebecca and straw dogs) and then a sixteen month gap til Notorious comes out. I’m sure they were excited to have notorious and eager to release it but the producer had to work it into their schedule, and that means it took a while. The existence of other releases of Notorious had no bearing on that decision, it was probably purely a scheduling matter.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1109 Post by domino harvey » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:59 pm

Cohen already put Le vieil homme et l'enfant out, there's zero chance it will come from Criterion

movielocke

#1110 Post by movielocke » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:00 pm

domino harvey wrote:Cohen already put that out, there's zero chance it will come from Criterion
The two of us? I picked it because it seemed like the lowest profile release of the SC titles, no idea there was another release, good to know thanks.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1111 Post by domino harvey » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:01 pm

Yep. Very recently too, within the last couple months. I think it got a new resto too

captveg

#1112 Post by captveg » Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:30 pm

Kino just announced Le Doulos, so if Criterion did end up getting their own smaller deal with SC then they didn't pick up all of their previous releases.

Regardless, great to have this and so many other SC titles coming out in the US again. Man, did Lionsgate really suck at releasing titles from SC.
Last edited by captveg on Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

captveg

#1113 Post by captveg » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:06 pm

The KL rep also stated they have either Fallen Idol or Bob le flambeur, with another label having the other.

EDIT: And the KL rep stated they have no Japanese films in their SC deal. So it would be up to one of the other labels to do a new release of Ran.
Last edited by captveg on Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dwk

#1114 Post by dwk » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:12 pm

Bah, mixed emotions. I was kind of hoping that Criterion would get the Melvilles (well all their old StudioCanal titles really) back, as Kino's releases tend to be serviceable at best, but happy it is getting a US Blu-ray and at least it isn't Shout Factory, so the Le Doulos Blu should be inexpensive to pick up.

FrauBlucher

#1115 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:56 pm

captveg wrote:Man, did Lionsgate really suck at releasing titles from SC.
You’re not friggin kidding. What a useless company.

I do have the Lionsgate/SC bluray of La Grande Illusion. While it is an awesome looking disc and great extras, I will purchase a new Criterion release just on principle

captveg

#1116 Post by captveg » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:04 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:56 pm
captveg wrote:Man, did Lionsgate really suck at releasing titles from SC.
You’re not friggin kidding. What a useless company.

I do have the Lionsgate/SC bluray of La Grande Illusion. While it is an awesome looking disc and great extras, I will purchase a new Criterion release just on principle
And just after you posted this the KL rep stated that Ran "most likely stayed with Lionsgate as did many others". Damn it.

I agree about Grand Illusion. The LG/SC release of That Obscure Object of Desire is pretty good, too.

FrauBlucher

#1117 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:43 pm

According to the KLInsider.... Kino doesn't have any Bardot films. Which pretty much ensures Contempt will be returning to Criterion.

captveg

#1118 Post by captveg » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:36 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:43 pm
According to the KLInsider.... Kino doesn't have any Bardot films. Which pretty much ensures Contempt will be returning to Criterion.
Unless it's simply remaining with Lionsgate. I get the feeling that SC is allowing Lionsgate to "keep" the handful of titles they released on Blu-ray in the US. Kino just announced Kind Hearts and Coronets, The Lavender Hill Mob and The Man in the White Suit, with The Ladykillers suspiciously absent. Combined with the KL Insider's statement that Ran "most likely stayed with Lionsgate as did many others," I wouldn't be surprised if that's the situation with Contempt.

KJones77

#1119 Post by KJones77 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:14 pm

The fact that Kino keeps announcing old Criterion titles leads me to believe that Criterion did not sign a new deal with StudioCanal. It just seems unlikely to me that they wouldn't have snapped up all their old OOP titles before anyone else could.

Maybe I'm wrong, but this doesn't smell right.

FrauBlucher

#1120 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:19 pm

captveg wrote:
FrauBlucher wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:43 pm
Unless it's simply remaining with Lionsgate. I get the feeling that SC is allowing Lionsgate to "keep" the handful of titles they released on Blu-ray in the US. Kino just announced Kind Hearts and Coronets, The Lavender Hill Mob and The Man in the White Suit, with The Ladykillers suspiciously absent. Combined with the KL Insider's statement that Ran "most likely stayed with Lionsgate as did many others," I wouldn't be surprised if that's the situation with Contempt.
Captveg, I guess you didn’t see that Janus posted a pick of Ran a few days back. It was posted in the Criterion discussion and speculation thread.
Last edited by FrauBlucher on Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1121 Post by domino harvey » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:21 pm

Since Criterion has access to sales figures we don't, I wouldn't be surprised if Criterion passed on some titles that they decided weren't going to give them a big enough return to pay for again

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1122 Post by Drucker » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:27 pm

Perhaps they could also be prioritizing discs that don't already have an R2 presence...

captveg

#1123 Post by captveg » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:35 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:19 pm
Captveg, I guess you didn’t see that Janus posted a pick of Ran a few days back. It was posted in the Criterion discussion and speculation thread.
I didn't. Just posting what the KL Insider said, though. I certainly hope they are wrong and that Ran will be back with a new Criterion release.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1124 Post by domino harvey » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:38 pm

It's also possible Criterion wasn't consulted in advance of KL having access to the StudioCanal library and/or their deal, if one exists, came after KL's and so KL wouldn't necessarily know what Criterion has

FrauBlucher

#1125 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:46 pm

KlInsider just tweeted that they are releasing The Lavender Hill Mob, Kind Hearts and Coronets and The Man in the White Suite

Edit sorry thought this was new news