Criterion Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Forthcoming: Discussion and Random Speculation Volume 7

#1876 Post by swo17 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:07 pm

Omensetter wrote:The candles probably obliquely referred to Barry Lyndon.
Certainly possible, but weren't there 16 of them?

ianungstad

#1877 Post by ianungstad » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:19 pm

Didn't Lee Kline upload a pic of him working on Sixteen Candles to his twitter account?

dwk

#1878 Post by dwk » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:29 pm

It wasn't him in the picture, but he did post a picture of them working on Sixteen Candles on his instagram. He has locked the account, however a member at the Blu-ray.com forum saved the picture

CSM126

#1879 Post by CSM126 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:37 pm

Oh my god, double clues do exist! (dodges tomatoes)

dwk

#1880 Post by dwk » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:44 pm

Well it was a New Year's clue. But Ride the Pink Horse and Black Stallion clue is, to the best of my knowledge, the only regular monthly one that was a double clue:

kcota17

#1881 Post by kcota17 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:12 pm

They Live by Night / Night of the Living Dead?

Also wasn’t there one a few years ago that was Two Days One Night / The Before Trilogy?

Ribs

#1882 Post by Ribs » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:22 pm

No, all of these other than the two horses one were clues that clearly had one other meaning that happened to correlate with another release that came considerably afterwards. Because double clues aren't a thing.

dwk

#1883 Post by dwk » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:19 pm

In the latest episode of The Criterion Completion Hour, Keith Enright talks about visiting Criterion's offices and even though he doesn't give any scoops about titles in the works, he does mention that he saw something that indicated that they are working on another centennial project (Bergman, I assume.)

Cinephrenic

#1884 Post by Cinephrenic » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:21 pm

4K restoration of Silence of the Lambs Criterion confirmed again at Blu-ray.com

Ribs

#1885 Post by Ribs » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:00 pm

...is there a reason people still feel the need to share when there's re-confirmations of titles we've known were coming for months upon months? It's the same with people still reporting Janus cards for stuff on TCM that's got the same on Filmstruck.
Last edited by Ribs on Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#1886 Post by Brian C » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:03 pm

Wait, SILENCE OF THE LAMBS is coming back? First I’ve heard.

Ribs

#1887 Post by Ribs » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:08 pm

"Months upon months" may have been a little strong, actually, but we had two discrete confirmations last month and reported in this thread as well as in others (and MrLime basically confirmed Criterion outbid Kino for the rights to new restoration last Fall, if I remember correctly)

Big Ben

#1888 Post by Big Ben » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:09 pm

Brian C wrote:Wait, SILENCE OF THE LAMBS is coming back? First I’ve heard.
Yeah. It was a Newsletter Clue a brief time ago. One lamb whispering to the other. I haven't seen the film in almost ten years so it'll be great to revisit it.

Much to some people's chagrin I hope the centennial project they're working on is Bergman. I'd love to see Shame or Hour of the Wolf.

soundchaser
Leave Her to Beaver

#1889 Post by soundchaser » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:24 pm

What else could the centennial reasonably be? The only thing that comes to mind is a 100th Birthday tribute to Leonard Bernstein via West Side Story, but I’m not actually convinced that film’s in the pipeline.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#1890 Post by swo17 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:25 pm

Ribs wrote:...is there a reason people still feel the need to share when there's re-confirmations of titles we've known were coming for months upon months? It's the same with people still reporting Janus cards for stuff on TCM that's got the same on Filmstruck.
The newsletter clue was pretty solid evidence that it was imminent, the other confirmation(s) less so. But still, not everyone checks the forum every day. There's no harm in offering a fresh reminder for those that haven't been paying as much attention.

criterionsnob

#1891 Post by criterionsnob » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:30 pm

I believe it's been over two and a half years since the last Bergman Criterion release. Perhaps they've been saving them up for a big centennial box set.

Ribs

#1892 Post by Ribs » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:34 pm

It'd be interesting to see if this would result in a better encode of the TV version of Fanny & Alexander if included. Maybe the Olympics set will mark a new era of centennial Blu-ray sets from Criterion?

(Is there any chance that Criterion's picked up the rights to practically *everything*? I'm just going through some of the more obscure later works and it does seem like for some of these, they're with labels Criterion would be able to license from, but usually wouldn't use for a "minor" effort?)

Malickite

#1893 Post by Malickite » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:37 pm

criterionsnob wrote:I believe it's been over two and a half years since the last Bergman Criterion release. Perhaps they've been saving them up for a big centennial box set.
Well that would be a big let down. I'm not buying a box set full of movies I already own just to get Shame and the Faith trilogy on blu.

Cremildo

#1894 Post by Cremildo » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:44 pm

Malickite wrote:I'm not buying a box set full of movies I already own just to get Shame and the Faith trilogy on blu.
I say the same, but for 'The Passion of Anna' and 'The Serpent's Egg', neither of which has been released anamorphically on DVD in America or the UK.

knives

#1895 Post by knives » Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:58 pm

I have to imagine in such a case they also release the various documentary and minor works they also have the rights to.

Noiradelic

#1896 Post by Noiradelic » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:10 pm

Whether or not there's a centennial box, I have to think if they acquired Hour of the Wolf, it -- and maybe Shame -- would get a standalone release. Bergman titles are big-sellers for them -- and Hour of the Wolf has that slight crossover appeal as well. Prior individual releases didn't stop them from putting out those recent director sets like the del Toro.

Graphist

#1897 Post by Graphist » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:53 pm

If the Bergman set is going to contain only the films without the supplements like Kurosawa’s set then I am not really interested.

KJones77

#1898 Post by KJones77 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:28 pm

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 4856820564" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

New Criterion Facebook post about sketches done for The Lady Eve. With the wave of screwball films getting releases, is it crazy to think (not just because of this post) that an upgrade of The Lady Eve is not far off.

Costa

#1899 Post by Costa » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:38 pm

Do you think all Kubrick films will come eventually from Criterion in new scans?

I want so much to have The Shining, but waiting for a new transfer.

Ribs

#1900 Post by Ribs » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:57 pm

In the fullness of time? Who knows? But all indications are that Warner's planning a big new restoration/70mm nationwide rollout of 2001 next year for its 50th that I have to imagine would be capped by their own 4K release. The truth is the reason Barry Lyndon ended up being licensable is that on its own it has nowhere near the cachet of the other major Kubricks to be worth an early release onto UHD - it's considered one of his best by most around here, obviously, but to Joe Public it's definitely in the lower half of the most well-known ones (I'd probably actually only put The Killing, Fear and Desire, and Killer's Kiss below it, for what little it matters). It was a natural fit for Criterion for exactly that reason - there's a less convincing argument for the major titles. And, frankly, there's better things for Criterion to be devoting their resources to then a project like a new restoration of the Shining that would get done with quality anyway.