The Miraculous Virgin

Discuss DVDs released by Second Run DVD and the films on them.
What A Disgrace

The Miraculous Virgin

#1 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:36 pm

Stefan Uher's 1967 film is being released on DVD and Blu-ray this year, according to their website. I suspect it will be their next release.

charal

Re: The Miraculous Virgin

#2 Post by charal » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:46 pm

Quirky film. The film is an extended metaphor on the art of creation and its impetus requiring a muse of sorts. The virgin is played by the ‘wife’ from KNIFE IN THE WATER. I have the original English-friendly DVD from Slovakia which was released along with Uher’s THREE DAUGHTERS and THE ORGAN. The latter film would have been a more desirable upgrade since it was the only DVD that was not anamorphic and it suffered from a periodic lack of subtitles. The other two late-60s films are acceptable transfers. I hope Second Run will dip into other classic Slovak films from this period like 322 or DESERTER AND NOMADS. Even Czech classics like THE CRY and COURAGE FOR EVERYDAY would be welcome blu ray releases.

MichaelB

The Miraculous Virgin

#3 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:02 am

The Deserter and the Nomads is presumably still owned by Sony, of all people, which paradoxically is why it’s shifted from being one of the easier Juraj Jakubisko films to see (it very occasionally popped up in London rep cinemas, which is how I managed to see it about 25 years ago) to just about the hardest.

And Second Run’s choices here are obviously going to be dictated by the availability of high-definition masters, which in the case of Czech and Slovak films are still pretty thin on the ground.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:06 pm

FYI this is Panna zázracnica, the same movie the Slovak Cinema of the 60s series released on DVD as the Wonder Maid, which I didn't realize until I saw Blu-ray.com's placeholder image

soundchaser
No longer chasing skirts

#5 Post by soundchaser » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:52 pm

Artwork's up on The Arts Shelf. It's gorgeous, as usual.