MoC Couture

News on Eureka and Masters of Cinema.
peerpee
not perpee

#1 Post by peerpee » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:04 pm

MoC Couture

This is an experiment. The firm Spreadshirt are hosting the website above, manufacturing the garments, and processing the orders -- using MoC designs.

MoC commission has been set to zero in order to get the prices as low as possible. The only folk that make money on this venture is Spreadshirt.

We've ordered a few things ourselves and they're very high quality.

The website is Euro-centric (they're based in Germany) and the prices are all in Euros.

We hope to add many more designs in the future, and if anyone has any stellar ideas they'd like to "donate"*, the artwork needs to be a 300dpi JPG with a max pixel height or width of 1500. This results in a 1 or 2MB file, which can be emailed to margot@mastersofcinema.org

Thanks!

(*Disclaimer. Please don't get upset if we don't use your design. We're quite fernickety, and we apologise in advance for being so. Thanks!)

peerpee
not perpee

#2 Post by peerpee » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:46 pm

The "digital print" (which is very good) is only available on white t-shirts, I'm afraid.

There are other available ways of printing the t-shirts at Spreadshirt, but it's more complicated and requires .eps files for plot printing.

We'll look into it!

solaris72

#3 Post by solaris72 » Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:05 am

Would it be possible to get the Tarkovsky print on the longsleeve hanes? Cold weather is coming to Boston.

peerpee
not perpee

#4 Post by peerpee » Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:29 am

I'll add longsleeve variants of everything today.

Would folk prefer American Apparel longsleeves as opposed to Hanes?

They're both white only, and look similar, but I hear good things about American Apparel, and don't want to add them all as Hanes if AA are better.

peerpee
not perpee

#5 Post by peerpee » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:15 pm

Ok - the vector-based plot printing is a no-go for these designs. It's only for lineart shapes constructed from scratch as vector graphics.

Off-set printing is the only way to get the colour printing onto any coloured shirt.

Unfortunately, the "off-set printing" method has nasty setup costs of $70-90 per item and takes 3-4 weeks for them to prepare before it can be added to the shop.

It's not looking like we'll be able to use any coloured shirts in the foreseeable I'm afraid.

peerpee
not perpee

#6 Post by peerpee » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:22 pm

I've gone with Hanes for the longsleeves because a.) they're great qual, b.) they're heavier and thus warmer, and c.) they're cheaper than AA's "lightweight" longsleeve.

mingus

#7 Post by mingus » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:34 pm

peerpee wrote:It's only for lineart shapes constructed from scratch as vector graphics.
What do you mean by this ?
If you like i could convert pixelgraphics into vector graphics, so that nobody is able to notice that they are not made from scratch as such. Would this be of any help ?

peerpee
not perpee

#8 Post by peerpee » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:49 pm

Thanks for the offer, but the nature of the designs (grayscales, shading, etc) do not tally with the Spreadshirt requirements for vector designs (and this is why "offset" printing is required for such designs on coloured shirts).

Billy Liar

#9 Post by Billy Liar » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:52 pm

White is no good for me, I have more rings round my waist than Saturn.

Cinéslob

#10 Post by Cinéslob » Sun Sep 25, 2005 12:52 pm

There's something rather Buñuelian about the Buñuel-emblazoned thong, but I can't quite put my finger on it...

Gregory

#11 Post by Gregory » Sun Sep 25, 2005 1:09 pm

peerpee wrote:Would folk prefer American Apparel longsleeves as opposed to Hanes?
I would.

kiddish

#12 Post by kiddish » Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:05 pm

This is so geeky it's cool.

However, the only ones I would get are the Vigo and the Bunuel. As much as I love Ozu and Tarkovsky, wearing a shirt with both their name in huge letters and an actual photo seems too... obvious(?). Just a photo or just their name seems less obvious and therefore more cool.

Sai

#13 Post by Sai » Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:13 pm

Whoa! I'm not sure if I'm self-confident enough to walk around in a Ozu-shirt, but those mugs are absolutely coming my way.

Jun-Dai
監督

#14 Post by Jun-Dai » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:55 pm

I'd like to see a shirt that had pictures of all the directors but with no explanatory text (though an MoC logo would be acceptable).

Monsieur Verdoux

#15 Post by Monsieur Verdoux » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:09 pm

Maybe taking the writing off the tshirts (or making the writing smaller might work..)... also possibly having the tshirts in a simple black shirt with white image and then also in a white background with black image might work. In particular with the pink Yamanaka prints... who got that idea #-o

I can't be sure about the thong tho... I don't wear them normally... :?

Monsieur Verdoux

#16 Post by Monsieur Verdoux » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:15 pm

Actually... the Vigo ones don't look too bad....

miless

#17 Post by miless » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:20 pm

I love how the only panties available are for Bunuel... I think he'd be pleased to have his name on some stranger's crotch... I really like the Bunuel and Vigo designs, very nice

AZAI

#18 Post by AZAI » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:04 pm

Was looking at the couture, and have to agree that only the Bunuel and the Vigo ones work in a stylish kind of way. The Dovzhenko would work as well, if it weren't for the grey square behind the design. The whiteness doesn't work very well either for the most part....the only type of shirt I like as a shirt is the Promodoro Raglan (with the colored sleeves)....

But I still really like the idea A LOT, I have been searching for a while now for shirts that are both geeky AND stylish (and affordable I might add).

It got me thinking, why not a shirt with the sole figure of Franscesco or the cover of Punishment park (white shirt with black silhouettes or the other way around)... Names could work as well, but they should have a certain style. Ozu doesn't work in a way that reminds me of Ozu...Murnau in the style of the Ufa Faust logo, now that's another story (if you put that logo on a shirt I'll buy it for sure). In MoC beautiful designs there are lots off details that would be beautifully suited for a shirt. Probably a lot of them wouldn't work from a copyright point of view, but still it's worth looking into. Whether it's the names, drawings, photo's or film titles......one big no-no for me for all shirts are rectangular shapes...

Macintosh

#19 Post by Macintosh » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:13 pm

it would be a lot better if they shipped worldwide, or at least to the US. It would be great to get a Godard t-shirt also, btw.

davebert

#20 Post by davebert » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:01 pm

Could I still get the all-leather trenchcoat with directors, please? I have come into a large personal fortune.

Oh, and second the shipping to America. No Ozu thong?