25 Vampyr

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
ChunkyLover

Re: 25 Vampyr

#376 Post by ChunkyLover » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:43 pm

It looks like all was done was some cleanup to the existing HD master.

FrauBlucher

#377 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:00 pm

Finch

#378 Post by Finch » Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:44 pm

Cine Outsider
The improvements over the previous restoration are substantial. That detail definition has been improved is to be expected, but what really impresses is just how much of the former damage and dust has been eradicated, with even some scratches (including ones across faces, one of the hardest things to remove without compromising the image) successfully cleaned up. Indeed, we are informed by the booklet that 239,296 items and 616 scratches needed to be manually fixed, and due to the global pandemic, these fixes were performed by a single person, Claus Greffel, the Digital Restoration and Mastering Technician at DFI. Sir, I salute you. The brightness and contrast flickering has been substantially reduced, as has the previous instability of the image within the frame. Due to material in varying conditions having been drawn from a variety of sources, the contrast and black levels are still far more aggressive in some shots than others, but shadow detail in many has definitely been improved. Given what the restoration team (and particularly Mr. Greffel) had to work with, it’s a truly remarkable job.

L.A.

#379 Post by L.A. » Mon May 02, 2022 11:02 am

ryannichols7

#380 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:04 pm

finally got this edition today and saw that this very website is thanked in the booklet! any idea how that came about? or is this in every MOC booklet and I somehow missed it

I probably should have read the rest of the thread before asking this...

FrauBlucher

#381 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:56 pm

ryan, I'm curious as to your opinion on the PQ especially if you've seen the Criterion version

ryannichols7

#382 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:16 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:56 pm
ryan, I'm curious as to your opinion on the PQ especially if you've seen the Criterion version
definitely will post a good word on that when I work with the set, I'll probably get to it late night tonight. I have the Criterion too (easy double dip for me thanks to differing content + I'm a Dreyer completionist) and will side by side them in motion and give an update. I definitely know Dreyer intended the film to look a certain way, so we have a similar situation as McCabe and Mrs Miller, After Life, and say, the Brakhage films, so the 'intended' look may not look super clear or anything. let's see if the MOC stays true to it, revisiting the Criterion the disc felt pretty flat.

answering my own question after reading the whole thread: I believe Nick threw this forum a thanks after asking whether to release the 1999 restoration 'as is' or to wait for a newer restoration. almost 15 years later we finally have a new restoration from the DFI on Bluray from MOC...so I'm glad he didn't wait! but this is a gorgeous package, truly beautiful looking and worth the wait for the MOC disc. I treasure the Criterion for the book, but I think this will be the definitive - will find out for sure tonight

Calvin

#383 Post by Calvin » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:27 am

RidgeShark

#384 Post by RidgeShark » Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:00 pm

Caps-a-holic

Interesting how the automated dirt removal did a little number on the waves in the first comparison. Probably unnoticeable in motion.

ChunkyLover

#385 Post by ChunkyLover » Fri Jan 20, 2023 10:41 pm

RidgeShark wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:00 pm
Caps-a-holic

Interesting how the automated dirt removal did a little number on the waves in the first comparison. Probably unnoticeable in motion.
I assume you mean in the upper left corner. I just played this back and it looks more like a film artefact, something like mold, most likely inherit to the source element, flashing than a wave on the river.