43 Grey Gardens

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
peerpee
not perpee

43 Grey Gardens

#1 Post by peerpee » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:59 pm

Grey Gardens

From the filmmakers behind Salesman (1969) and The Rolling Stones' Gimme Shelter (1970), the Maysles brothers present another of their "non-fiction features", this time an impossibly intimate, absorbing insight into the lives of two eccentric and reclusive women: Edith Bouvier Beale and her daughter Edie. As aunt and cousin to Jackie Onassis, "Big Edie" and "Little Edie" live together as high-society dropouts in a squalid mansion in wealthy East Hampton. What was once a grand summer residence has been reduced to a fortress of fleas, feral cats, and filth, the gardens long gone to seed and Big Edie and Little Edie confined to just a few of the twenty-eight rooms.

Together they invent a world with their house as a stage where life's disappointments and pleasures are recycled into riveting performances, perfomances which have gone on to earn Little Edie's reputation as a fashion genius and philosopher queen.

This true cult classic – which has inspired a current Broadway show, a centre page fashion spread in both Vogue and Harper's Bazaar, and a Hollywood "remake" – prompted the intervention of Jackie O. to save the couple from a hazardous health eviction order and any further "embarrassment" for the family. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present Grey Gardens on DVD for the first time in the UK.

SPECIAL FEATURES

• New restored transfer licenced from Maysles Films
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Original theatrical and TV trailers
• ALBERT MAYSLES ON GREY GARDENS – An exclusive new interview filmed in 2006
• JERRY's CAB – Albert finds 'the Marble Faun' driving a New York taxi, 2005
• PAST AND PRESENT – Albert and 'the Marble Faun' revisit Grey Gardens, 2005
• 40-PAGE BOOKLET containing rare vintage photography and an expanded essay by Jonathan B. Vogels
• RSDL DVD9 optimum image quality

godardslave

#2 Post by godardslave » Wed Jul 26, 2006 2:11 am

so, obvious question, but......... your going head to head (at least for multi-regionites) against Criterion's re-release, so what special features do you have on the drawing board?

PS can't decide if i like the artwork yet, it might grow on me.

denti alligator

#3 Post by denti alligator » Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:25 am

Wrong thread for this, I know, but: I LOVE the artwork. Best MoC cover yet.

jcelwin

#4 Post by jcelwin » Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:40 pm

Yeah, the artwork is nice. But the font looks ugly against the background.

backstreetsbackalright

#5 Post by backstreetsbackalright » Wed Jul 26, 2006 4:26 pm

jcelwin wrote:Yeah, the artwork is nice. But the font looks ugly against the background.
Now that you mention it, yeah the font could be improved. But I'm a big, big fan of this cover.

What A Disgrace

#6 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:54 am

Well, if this is a two-discer as the late Wiki article suggests, then I'll happily give the old Criterion amiss. A shame I already picked up their Salesman, though I'll gladly double dip on it for a little booklet.

Before I buy the already released versions, do you guys have any plans to pick up Gimme Shelter, or collect the Bros.' Jeanne-Claude and Christo films?

peerpee
not perpee

#7 Post by peerpee » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:37 pm

GIMME SHELTER is with Warners in all territories outside the USA. Coming soon I presume.

The CHRISTO films are out in the UK via PLEXIFILM UK (same as US PLEXI discs)

ogtec

#8 Post by ogtec » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:59 pm

Co-incidentally, there's a (very short) season of Maysles brothers films on BBC4 for this coming week, including Gimme Shelter.

ALBERT MAYSLES: THE POETIC EYE
Sunday 6 August 10.30pm-11pm; rpt 1.20am-1.50am

And then

Meet Marlon Brando - Sunday 6 August 11pm-11.25pm
Gimme Shelter - Monday 7 August 10.30pm-midnight
Grey Gardens - Tuesday 8 August 10.30pm-midnight
The Salesman - Wednesday 9 August 10.30pm-midnight

George

Gropius

#9 Post by Gropius » Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:18 pm

ogtec wrote:ALBERT MAYSLES: THE POETIC EYE
Sunday 6 August 10.30pm-11pm; rpt 1.20am-1.50am
This documentary was quite good; might be worth acquiring as an extra for the DVD

Monsieur Verdoux

#10 Post by Monsieur Verdoux » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:02 am

I've just nicked this write up off the Criterion forum, but it is interesting reading... even if it is a bit random, musicals #-o

The NYTimes has a write up on the new movie:

[quote]East Hampton, the mid-1970's: The documentary filmmakers Albert and David Maysles set up camp in a decrepit mansion known as Grey Gardens. There, amid piles of trash and mounds of cats, reside the eccentric Edith Bouvier Beale, a first cousin of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, and her mother, slightly less eccentric and also named Edith. Half mad and completely compelling, Little Edie and Big Edie flood the Maysles brothers' camera with their oddball antics and batty conversation. “Grey Gardens,â€

redbill

#11 Post by redbill » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:50 pm

I saw The Beales last night. It had some good footage, but it didn't flow together very well. It had nowhere near the narrative structure as Grey Gardens. It makes you appreciate how important their editor was to the Maysles success. It also suffered from Return of the King Syndrome, where there was about 3 too many endings. Would make a good extra, but doesn't really stand on its own.

Andreas

#12 Post by Andreas » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:36 pm

Is the MoC release going to include "Beales of Grey Gardens"? Have to say it feels like they have to if the release will have any chance against criterion. Is there any release-date on this yet?

a.khan

#13 Post by a.khan » Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:00 am

The boxart image is broken, Nick.

kinjitsu

#14 Post by kinjitsu » Thu Dec 07, 2006 4:29 pm

adnankhan wrote:The boxart image is broken, Nick.
That link got lost during the recent site update. I will correct this once the catalog is updated and include specs as well.

Final details coming soon...
Last edited by kinjitsu on Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sparks

#15 Post by Sparks » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:37 am

Play.com list both Grey Gardens and Salesman for release on 19/03/2007.

a.khan

#16 Post by a.khan » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:25 am

Final details and artwork for "Grey Gardens" and "Salesman"

Criterion seems to have more supplements, but MoC has them on the cover art which is beautiful.

What A Disgrace

#17 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:01 pm

Well, Play.com finally has the *full* scoop on the specs.
- Director-approved transfer
- New and improved English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- ALBERT MAYSLES ON GREY GARDENS An exclusive interview filmed in 2006 by Mark Rance with Al in NY. (30 minutes)
- JERRY'S CAB Albert finds the Marble Faun, in NYC, 2005. (10 minutes)
- PAST AND PRESENT: REVISITING THE HOUSE Albert and the Marble Faun revisit Grey Gardens, 2005 (10 minutes)
- VINTAGE TRAILERS
- 36-page colour booklet with vintage articles, interviews, rare photography and new writing

HerrSchreck

#18 Post by HerrSchreck » Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:12 pm

This movie still has one of the greatest lines not only from the whole 100-plus years of the cinema but in the several thousand years of self-conscious civilization recording itself for the ages:

One of the zillions of cats is taking a shit or whizzing behind Big Edie's beautiful portrait. Al or Dave offscreen points it out to her viz concern for the portrait. With a perfectly serene look on her face Big Edie barely registers concern & says "I'm just glad someone's doing what they wanna do.."

meanwhile

#19 Post by meanwhile » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:29 am

Just seen the finished product for both Grey Gardens and Salesman - once again, the booklets for both of these are outstanding pieces of work. Their mixture of insightful text and well-chosen stills complement the films beautifully. Congratulations and thanks to those involved in their production.

peerpee
not perpee

#20 Post by peerpee » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:26 pm

Thanks, meanwhile. Even though our booklets rarely get mentioned in reviews, we go the extra mile on them for people like you. On these two, we were very grateful to the wonderful folk at Maysles Films who supplied us with the most amazing selection of rare photography (we used it all).

a.khan

#21 Post by a.khan » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:47 am

I buy MoCs almost exclusively for your booklets, so please keep up the good work.

foggy eyes

#22 Post by foggy eyes » Sat May 12, 2007 1:00 pm

a.khan

#23 Post by a.khan » Wed May 16, 2007 8:17 am

What the fook?

Drew Barrymore playing Edith Beale in the so-Hollywood remake?

Michael

#24 Post by Michael » Mon May 28, 2007 12:49 pm

I wonder how many of you, who already have the original pressing of CC Grey Gardens AND CC The Beales of Grey Gardens, double- or triple-dip this?

I already have two CC Grey Gardens (because at one point, I fretted that my first disc would wear out from millions viewings so the second disc entered my home as a "back up" just in case) and the new CC Beales box set. And I'm already thinking about picking up the MOC disc!

Imagine

Re: 43 Grey Gardens

#25 Post by Imagine » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:27 pm

Are we going to see a blu-ray reissue of Grey Gardens or have Eureka lost the rights?