12 / BD 54 The Naked Island

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
Anonymous

#26 Post by Anonymous » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:54 pm

The Naked Island review has appeared at dvdtimes:
Accompanied by some must-have extras this is a disc worth hunting down immediately.
http://www.dvdtimes.org/content.php?contentid=57904

Looks like another fantastic disc! Well done, Masters of Cinema!

Matango

#27 Post by Matango » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:14 am

Just finished watching and really enjoyed. A purity of filmmaking almost approaching Pather Panchali in places (Wish someone would pick up the Ray baton after AE's Apu Trilogy). I'm reluctant to watch the commentary now, cos it will break the magic, but doubtless I will succumb. My only criticism is the music, which is a bit lilting and romantic at times. Thanks MOC.

kieslowski

#28 Post by kieslowski » Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:58 am

I loved this film - the MoC DVD was a complete revelation to me. Cox isn't too far off in his introduction when he mentions Bresson - there is something Bressonian about The Naked Island, although without the transcendence I associate with RB. A fantastic DVD - possibly my favourite of the year so far. Am about halfway through the commentary but it's rewarding and illuminating so far.

acquarello

#29 Post by acquarello » Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:37 pm

Actually, I think that there's something very "Bressonian transcendent" about the act of returning to the ritual at the conclusion of the film. Where Shindo diverges from Bresson, I think, is the absence of tableaux iconographic shots.

Cinéslob

#30 Post by Cinéslob » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:48 am

Suffice to say, this is another fantastic disc peerpee, but there's something that I'm slightly confused about, namely the absence of the 7" French vinyl soundtrack excerpts. You can see that DVD Beaver have a review copy complete with said recordings here, so what led to the feature being pulled from the commercial release, and at a point in time so close to the title undergoing its initial pressing?

Anyway, everyone at Eureka should give themselves a big pat on the back for this one - it's a marvel of a DVD!

-EDIT-

Oh, am I not a complete fool; the soundtrack's to be found as an easter egg! 'Bah' and indeed 'humbug'!

Matango

#31 Post by Matango » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:03 am

Which begs the question, Why an Easter Egg? It would look very cool on the list of extras.

peerpee
not perpee

#32 Post by peerpee » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:53 am

This "feature" was supposed to be removed from the DVD because of licensing issues. Only the first pressing has it hidden away, and the second pressing now removes it altogether.

Steven H

#33 Post by Steven H » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:01 pm

I enjoyed this, but I haven't seen a single Shindo film I didn't have reservations about, and this one is no different. Even without speech, it struck me as somewhat sentimental and manipulative. Instead of a film about people *living* we're shown people living out Shindo's example of people living, in order to make a political point. What bothers me is that we're brought into this world as if it's a quaint, documentary like, character piece, set in reality (though in this regard it would seem *all* of neo-realism would fall under my general complaint). The pathos of the child falling ill struck me as highly problematic. Is this why we're shown the Island to begin with, to watch this family deal with a crisis? If so, why does the film seemingly position itself as a "normal day in the life" when it actually follows the same narrative structure any other film would? Is it going *that* far out of it's way to manipulate?

There are many things to appreciate about this, the soundtrack, the cinematography, the way movement is expressed is beautiful. But the questions that were raised within me, and instead of making me wonder (ambiguity as profundity), it made me suspicious. These things didn't sit well with me, and I'd like to hear what others have to say about them.

artfilmfan

#34 Post by artfilmfan » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:04 pm

Steven H wrote: What bothers me is that we're brought into this world as if it's a quaint, documentary like, character piece, set in reality (though in this regard it would seem *all* of neo-realism would fall under my general complaint). The pathos of the child falling ill struck me as highly problematic. Is this why we're shown the Island to begin with, to watch this family deal with a crisis? If so, why does the film seemingly position itself as a "normal day in the life" when it actually follows the same narrative structure any other film would? Is it going *that* far out of it's way to manipulate?
First of all, I just want to say that MoC did an excellent job with this DVD and the booklet that came with it. (I haven't read acquarello's essay yet). Glancing through the booklet, I'd say that if I had anything to complain about, it would be one of the pictures. I wish that particular picture were not in the booklet. By seeing that particular picture prior to seeing the film, I was well awere of what was to come.

I agree that the cinematography is excellent.

When I read the brief description of the film in Donald Richie's book, my impression was that this film depicts "a normal day in the life of". However, after seeing the film, it just doesn't come across that way. Maybe non-professionals (as opposed to professional actors) should have been used in this film. The acting, especially the actress playing the wife, is just not convincing. Surprisingly, I was not moved, "shaken or stirred" by this film.

Maybe because of its left-leaning agenda, this film reminded me of I Am Cuba.

Steven H

#35 Post by Steven H » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:43 pm

artfilmfan wrote:Surprisingly, I was not moved, "shaken or stirred" by this film.
Part of what made it interesting for me was how involved I became during the first half hour or so, following the morning ritual of watering plants, etc. It wasn't until the forced drama that I completely disassociated with the film emotionally. Maybe this sentimentality was decided on by the director in an effort to help the film turn a (much needed) profit. It's also probably the reason the film was relatively successful, financially.

shirobamba

#36 Post by shirobamba » Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:45 pm

It wasn't until the forced drama that I completely disassociated with the film emotionally. Maybe this sentimentality was decided on by the director in an effort to help the film turn a (much needed) profit. It's also probably the reason the film was relatively successful, financially
Steven,

This “sentimentalityâ€

artfilmfan

#37 Post by artfilmfan » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:45 pm

shirobamba wrote: ... where do you see a left-leaning agenda? That would indicate a reading of the film as a social critique. But there's no sign of critique in Shindo's semi-documetarian style; in the contrary, he aesthetisizes and poetisizes the hard lifes of the island-family. No trace of social critique, as far as I can see.)
Can I pass this hot potato on to Steven H ? He's the first to bring up politics. :cry:

See Exhibits A and B below.
The film doesn't only document a day in the life of…, as Richie seems to indicate, ...
Through my eyes I saw a highly choreographed dramatization of "a day in the life of", most evidenced by the repeated showings of the wife's struggle to carry the water up the hill/island. This is the part that is least convincing to me.
The film heavily sympathizes with that life based on eternal, mythical truths, as it contrasts it with the shallow, meaningless, modern life, symbolized by the idiotic TV programm the boys watch through a shop window, during a visit in a nearby town. (A premonition of MTV&Co.)
Exhibit A: "... the shallow, meaningless, modern life, ..."
And there are traces of the worldly mirror of this eternal world-order: feudalism, to be seen, as well, in the person of the rich land-owner, to whom the family delivers their harvest.
Exhibit B: The poor toils the land, the rich collects the harvest.

I should have said that this film reminded me of I Am Cuba more than one ways. I only saw hints of social critique (hence the word "left-leaning" instead of "leftist") in this film (Exhibits A & B), not as direct as I Am Cuba. Two other aspects of similarity that I can think of at the moment: the introduction of the island from the air and the highly stylized or choreographed movements in some parts of the film.

Steven H

#38 Post by Steven H » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:17 am

[quote="shirobamba"]This “sentimentalityâ€

backstreetsbackalright

#39 Post by backstreetsbackalright » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:16 pm

Seattle's Northwest Film Forum is showing this film with a live soundtrack accompaniment by the Anno Jikken Ensemble, a local staple who've created and performed impressive scores for a number of Japanese silent films. Info here:
http://www.nwfilmforum.org/nakedisland/

I haven't seen Naked Island, but it doesn't sound like it's a silent film. The film has a score of its own, no? I'm not sure whether I should endeavor to catch this on the big screen (with the new live score), or just rent the MoC DVD. Thoughts?

peerpee
not perpee

#40 Post by peerpee » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:45 pm

It's not a silent film. There is hardly any dialogue, but there is some, and songs sung, brief grunts, the sound of fields being ploughed, the sound of the sea, and a really over-the-top-but-great lush orchestral score by Shindo's longtime composer Hikaru Hayashi which is totally intrinsic to Shindo's vision of his film.

Stripping the original soundtrack of the film is akin to sabotage.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#41 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Oct 18, 2005 3:23 pm

I would think the copyright holder would probably not approve this altered presentation.

Jem

#42 Post by Jem » Sun May 28, 2006 9:51 pm

Steven H wrote: But the questions that were raised within me, and instead of making me wonder (ambiguity as profundity), it made me suspicious. These things didn't sit well with me, and I'd like to hear what others have to say about them.
Every film ever made can be seen as manipulative if you choose to see it that way.
I believed in Shindo's vison and so loved every beautiful and tragic moment of this film.

Monsieur Verdoux

#43 Post by Monsieur Verdoux » Mon May 29, 2006 6:24 am

:lol: Ohhhhhhhhh I've just found the 7" Vinyl as the easter egg... very nice hidden extra.

indiannamednobody

#44 Post by indiannamednobody » Tue May 30, 2006 12:54 pm

Easter egg? Did I miss something?

EDIT: k thanks VVV
Last edited by indiannamednobody on Wed May 31, 2006 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monsieur Verdoux

#45 Post by Monsieur Verdoux » Wed May 31, 2006 7:31 am

It says above

addz

#46 Post by addz » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:14 pm

peerpee wrote:This "feature" was supposed to be removed from the DVD because of licensing issues. Only the first pressing has it hidden away, and the second pressing now removes it altogether.
Is this entirely true?

I recently received a copy of this disc from Play.com and that edition had the Easter Egg (which is a very, very fine easter egg I must say. I've probably listened to it about 10 times) - but how likely is it that there are still copies of the first pressing available? Especially as the disc has been out for nearly a year.

Anyway, I loved the film. I found it magnificent in it's simplicity and how, even though there was very little story there, you still feel as though you've seen one. Sound also played a big part, as it does in most of Shindo's films - the lapping of the waves, the sound of the water being poured on the earth and especially the wonderful score - these were elements I found increased my enjoyment ten-fold. I don't know why, but I really have a thing for water and seeing and hearing water in films is always something that relaxes me and increases my enjoyment.

It's probably my favourite film in the MoC series so far and definitely my favourite Shindo film. I find Onibaba and Kuroneko to be vastly overrated, but that's not to say they don't have there merits. I find there's always something interesting about Shindo's work.

So much so that I plan to write my dissertation on Shindo and his work. I'm undecided yet whether it will be a full on auteur study or a study of the political themes and messages inherent in his work. Either way, the MoC discs and booklets are sure to be a great resource.

HerrSchreck

#47 Post by HerrSchreck » Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:50 pm

As "Filmic Transfers" go, NAKED ISLAND is sublime. Props where props is due.

Tommaso

#48 Post by Tommaso » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:39 am

Steven H wrote: Even without speech, it struck me as somewhat sentimental and manipulative. Instead of a film about people *living* we're shown people living out Shindo's example of people living, in order to make a political point.
I have watched it yesterday for the first time, and first of all I must agree that the DVD is absolutely wonderful, one of the most filmic images I ever saw on the tube (and I'm also happy that my copy, ordered from play.com, also DID contain the easter egg, GREAT!).

But reading this thread I cannot help but agree with Steven on the manipulative aspects of it. First of all, why did Shindo bring in professional actors when he wanted to portray island life as it is? What about the music, which is great in itself, but sounds far too soothing and and to me rather Hawaiian than Japanese? It is no wonder that Barclay released it in France as a 7" single. I also found the idea of having no dialogue rather contrived and working against the supposed 'realism' of the film . Even as a portrayal of human life in nature with all the metaphysical aspects mentioned in the discussion here "Naked Island" is far too 'beautiful'. The film indeed reminds me of a very westernized vision of seemingly hard, but at heart 'romantic' simple life.

Yes, it is beautiful, but I don't know, it left me cold (just as "Onibaba" did, although I love Japanese horror/ghost stories). There is too much intention to drive certain points home in both films. As to portrayals of island life and the fight with nature and fate, I would always prefer deeply moving films like Flaherty's "Man of Aran" and Michael Powell's "Edge of the world", both of which emanate precisely that spirituality that Shindo is only talking about.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#49 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:19 am

> As to portrayals of island life and the fight with nature and fate, I
> would always prefer deeply moving films like Flaherty's "Man of
> Aran" and Michael Powell's "Edge of the world", both of which
> emanate precisely that spirituality that Shindo is only talking about.

Yamada's utterly wonderful "Home From the Sea" might also be a useful point of comparison.

Rsdio

#50 Post by Rsdio » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:53 am

Tommaso wrote:The film indeed reminds me of a very westernized vision of seemingly hard, but at heart 'romantic' simple life.
I'm not sure if this is anything at all to do with the 'left-leaning' comment earlier, but for the first half-hour of the film it seemed to me that the whole thing might easily have turned into a paean to communism (thankfully there's much more to it in the end); the beauty of the images and the wonderful rhythm in the hard graft of the summer phase were indeed very romantic.

And speaking of romantic, does the music not remind anyone else of Verdi's 'La forza del destino'? There's a great Stella Artois advert in there somewhere - half an hour of rowing, carrying, watering and delivering followed by a final shot of the father sat in a bar spending his hard-earned as 'Reassuringly expensive' pops up on the bottom of the screen.