BD 92 Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
MichaelB

Re: BD 92 The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

#76 Post by MichaelB » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:26 am

If anyone's curious about how MoC resolved the framerate issue, it's three frames-repeat frame-three frames-repeat frame undsoweiter. In other words, an authentically progressive rendering of an 18fps original, which historically sounds right - and it looks fine in motion.

EddieLarkin

#77 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:42 am

One can always rely on MoC to get this stuff right. I hope Kino are going to do the same, which they should since it's presumably the simplest method anyway, but then you look at Nosferatu...

manicsounds

#78 Post by manicsounds » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:05 pm

Another addition to the extras:
3 featurettes on the restoration

otis

#79 Post by otis » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:33 pm

TMDaines

#80 Post by TMDaines » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:28 pm

That looks spectacular. Looking forward to watching this with German intertitles for the first time.

FrauBlucher

#81 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:06 pm

Agreed. This looks amazing. As soon as this arrives it will be spinning in my player.

Orlac

#82 Post by Orlac » Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:45 pm

Picture quality is great.

I didn't mind the score, apart from the iconic abduction scene where it goes all "circus" - sounds like I'd wandered into a Charles Band movie.

I do wonder why the reconstruction of the original score wasn't used.

The Kalat commentary is good fun, though he does err in claiming the copy of the original script was donated by the widow of Hermann Warm (it was in fact the widow of Werner Krauss).

The documentary is a bit dis-orientated - too much focusing on WWI and not enough on the film itself. Seems to have been influenced by too much Siegfied Kracuer.

There is a little video extra that is quite funny.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#83 Post by Drucker » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:55 am

FrauBlucher

#84 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:09 pm

This should be arriving at my doorstep by Saturday. I am so excited to see the image on my TV. The detail on the caps look awesome. It's such a joy to see films that are nearly 100 years old look so modern and brilliant.

markhax

#85 Post by markhax » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:49 am

Orlac wrote:Picture quality is great.

The documentary is a bit dis-orientated - too much focusing on WWI and not enough on the film itself. Seems to have been influenced by too much Siegfied Kracuer.
Or maybe by Anton Kaes's Shellshock Cinema?

FrauBlucher

#86 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:08 am

FrauBlucher wrote:This should be arriving at my doorstep by Saturday. I am so excited to see the image on my TV. The detail on the caps look awesome. It's such a joy to see films that are nearly 100 years old look so modern and brilliant.
This was waiting for me when I got home. I watched it last night. It's a sight to behold. Just a gorgeous job by all involved. It still shocks me that they had the original camera negative to work with for most of the film.

The Doogster

#87 Post by The Doogster » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:53 am

I watched this through my projector. Yes, it is a sight to behold, but there's one nagging problem. On a regular basis there is a series of black dots which cross the screen horizontally. I recall those dots being there in the old DVD version (they are obviously print damage). They are diminished on the MoC BRD, but they are still visible. I can't believe the restorers didn't remove them - most of the dots are on a solid background (eg. all white or an expanse of wall, etc), and could easily have been removed. Otherwise the picture quality is near perfect.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#88 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:56 am

Finally got around to this, and I agree, it's a breathtakingly good transfer. Kalat's commentary was top notch, as usual, though I must admit I was a little put off by how fervently he argued for dismissing the "real" nature of the frame story through some selective observations (though he tempers this with a humorous button at the end of his spiel). I'm not sure the "answer" is as cut and dry as Kalat makes it out to be here. Otherwise, though, Kalat weaves a welcome historical narrative with his usual good humor shining through, and overall it's another exemplary package from MoC

rapta

Re: BD 92 Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari

#89 Post by rapta » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:02 pm

Limited Edition Blu-ray Steelbook (of 2000 copies) for this due on January 16th, which will include a bonus disc of Rüdiger Suchsland's documentary From Caligari to Hitler: German Cinema in the Age of the Masses.

NB: No pre-order links yet due to 'technical issues' at Amazon UK.

Orlac

#90 Post by Orlac » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:51 am

I think Arrow's January releases are still not on Amazon.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#91 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:49 am

This one's particularly for Tomasso. The new Potemkine Caligari includes a score by In the Nursery.
Also their Blu Dreyer box has a Blu Vampyr with commentary by amongst others Desplechin and Assayas. No mention of score though.

MichaelB

#92 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:01 am

NABOB OF NOWHERE wrote:Also their Blu Dreyer box has a Blu Vampyr with commentary by amongst others Desplechin and Assayas. No mention of score though.
Surely Vampyr's own score, by Wolfgang Zeller?

yoloswegmaster

#93 Post by yoloswegmaster » Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:42 pm

No idea where else to post this but this will be released in 4K UHD in Germany. I wonder if Eureka or Kino will follow suit.

ryannichols7

#94 Post by ryannichols7 » Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:47 pm

yoloswegmaster wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 1:42 pm
No idea where else to post this but this will be released in 4K UHD in Germany. I wonder if Eureka or Kino will follow suit.
appears this will be the first silent film on UHD, no?

denti alligator

#95 Post by denti alligator » Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:13 pm

I can’t access the link, but yes, I think would be the first. Excited to see what it looks like.

ryannichols7

#97 Post by ryannichols7 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:26 pm

extremely happy about this. I'm glad the first MOC UHD title is going to be one of their staple titles and a 101 year old movie

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#98 Post by tenia » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:36 pm

It's a staple title and a 101yo movie that perfectly fits MoC's historical lineup, but seeing how the German UHD seems to look and that the UK UHD is likely to be a SDR release too since it seems the restoration was performed in SDR, weren't there other titles for which a UHD would have provided a more sizeable, and thus more attractive to technophiles, upgrade ?

ChunkyLover

#99 Post by ChunkyLover » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:07 pm

I'm kind of surprised that this is their first MoC UHD. I figured that they would of gone with something that already has an HDR master like "Paths of Glory" or "Touch of Evil".

Finch

#100 Post by Finch » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:16 pm

Eureka tweeted a still from Caligari with specs to be confirmed in three days. The encode is probably going to be better than the German disc (FiM encoded their Police Story set, I think) and it gains the Rigby commentary over their Blu-Ray. tenia is right that this is not exactly a demo title for the format but we don't know what else, if anything, was available at this point.