Mondo Vision

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
jsteffe

Re: Mondo Vision

#76 Post by jsteffe » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:14 pm

David Mackenzie wrote:You can take reliable screen shots with the later versions of PowerDVD if it's configured properly. Here's the instructions for PowerDVD version 8, your version is probably similar.

Right click the video window (while the PowerDVD logo is showing, I don't think you can change the settings when there's a disc in). Choose Configuration, go to the "Player" tab, click "advanced", click the Capture tab, make sure "Original Video Source Size" is selected.

That will give you 1:1 pixels exactly as they're stored on the disc, so the image on an anamorphic widescreen DVD will be squished. To scale this in a very similar way to how a digital TV or DVD player would scale it, load the image in Photoshop and resize using the Bicubic or Bicub Sharper algorithm (these have a very similar scaler response to the chipsets in most TVs and DVD players). Change the size to 1024x576 to "unsquish" a PAL disc or 854x480 to unsquish widescreen NTSC.

Hopefully DVDBeaver and any other comparison sites running images through multiple degradations (or whatever they're doing to make screen grabs as unrepresentative as those) will follow this advice to take unblurred images.
Thanks! This information, and the tip about DGIndex are genuinely helpful. I'm going to experiment with both methods.

I have a friendly suggestion to the site moderators: perhaps someone could post some information like this in the FAQ section? Since we do have people posting caps with great regularity, some basic techincal recommenations this type could be really useful. It would then be a simple matter to link directly to that FAQ entry in case anyone asks.

PillowRock

#77 Post by PillowRock » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:31 pm

denti alligator wrote:Can anyone parse that first sentence for me? "All 4 versions" of what? There are 7 sets of caps and 3 DVDs compared. They "used the exact same system and settings to obtain the screen captures"? The same system and settings as Mondo Vision's caps? How could that be (see difference above)?
There are 4 DVD releases of La Femme Publique compared on Beaver, including the Mondo Vision.

The "exact same system and settings" would refer to all of Beaver's captures, including Beaver's captures of the Mondo Vision.

What I got out of the Beaver statement that I didn't know before was that they routinely degrade all of their captures to save on disk space and download times. Both were a bigger problem back when they started out, and set the precedent for their "standard practices", than they are today.

I can see how using the same values, in this case a 90% fidelity compression, for *all* of your images could be considered to be "fair" treatment of everybody.

The problem is that what that compression is really going to mean, in terms of how noticeable the difference is, will be highly dependent on the content of the frames in question. The difference could well be more noticeable in a frame with a lot of sharp fine detail, and be less noticeable when the image was softer to start with. In that case, the methodology, while being consistent, might tend to "level" a difference in the sharpness of fine scale details.

How often the effect of the compression would create a significant change in the relative difference in sharpness between two DVDs, I have no idea. But it certainly can happen.

What I'm still not clear on, relative to Beaver's procedures, is what they are looking at when they write their text comparisons. Are they looking at lossless versions of the captures from all of the disks? Or are looking at the compressed versions that visitors to the site see?

David M.

#78 Post by David M. » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:56 pm

Oh dear - they've completely missed the point! ](*,)

The problem is NOT that they are using lossy screen captures. It seems that Gary thinks that my beef with those screen grabs is the fact that they're compressed. This just shows a total misunderstanding of what's going on behind the scenes. Compressing a screen grab from a DVD at 90% quality JPEG is basically going to do little or no damage to the quality of the image, especially if it's from a P-Frame or B-Frame in the video stream. The degradation which is visible on some, but not all of DVDBeavers' comparison pages, is mostly not related to compression. It's entirely understandable that DVDBeaver compresses its screen captures (it would be uneconomical otherwise). But this is not the cause of the softening.

Next, the screen grab on his "Open Response" is one that he's taken himself on his own system. Both of the Mondo Vision comparisons were done by another person, presumably on another computer.

Further, my complaint was not that any one release had been singled out specifically - as I said, I don't believe that any malice was intended here. But, ALL of the captures from those discs look softer than the stored contents, not just the Mondo Vision version.

Anyone with mastering knowledge of video will see the ramifications of this. If the screen grabs are blurred, then that means that an already blurry DVD is still going to look blurry, whereas one with a lot of high frequency detail will be shown in an unfairly softened, unrepresentative image. In other words, there's a glass ceiling imposed: discs that were already soft look soft, but discs with a lot of detail also look soft.

Why did I bother spending cash on the best MPEG-2 encoder on the planet and hand-tweaking each scene to look its best, when I could just have done a quick one-hour soft encode and be done with it? It would have looked the same in DVDBeaver's images!

To address Gary's other points:
We don't alter this method to improve the appearance of certain DVD productions and never will no matter how vehemently DVD producers may encourage this - attacking us in both private email, blogs and public Forums.
DVDBeaver prides itself on the consistent method we have of obtaining DVD screen captures.
I'm sure that DVDBeaver don't knowingly alter their process, but it's clear that screen grabs from some discs get through unscathed whereas others show softening.

Secondly, the language here is incredibly disingenuous. "Vehemently", "attacking", these words suggest that DVDBeaver is the victim here. In reality, as a frequently visited site and trusted resource (although I imagine this incident is going to lessen that slightly), they have a responsibility to correctly represent video.

I think people here will agree with me that my dismay at the proven misrepresentation has been civil at all times. Any correspondence with Gary has been the same.

The method is clearly not consistent. Some comparisons are accurate, whereas others (those taken by Eric Cotenas, perhaps?) show visible blurring.
Now, this is not the first time we've had DVD producers insist that our screen captures are not a viable representation of their product.
Funny, that...
But, strangely, in every case they were - including the LA FEMME PUBLIQUE and THE MOST IMPORTANT THING: LOVE DVDs - recommended by us as the best edition available for purchase!
This is irrelevant. I have already stated many times that I am grateful for them recommending the disc I worked on (although just to make this clear, this has no financial benefits for me). I am sure that Mondo Vision are grateful for the business that DVDBeaver has gathered for them, but we're discussing a totally different issue here - one of accuracy.
The producer I dealt with was unsatisfied with our result and I had no ethical way of placating him. I wasn't about to improve the quality of his release's captures and invalidate all 80,000 other images on the site. I still insist to him that this would not be ethical.
Gary seems to think that I want him to artifically and falsely improve the quality of the disc that I worked on specifically. That's not the case, and that WOULD be unethical. What would "placate" me (I guess I'm frothing at the mouth here, is that it?) would be to see accurate screen grabs from ALL of the discs, including the ones that compete against what I worked on. They would *all* look better - not just Mondo's.

His language suggests that my request was unethical. What's unethical is misrepresenting other people's work - that goes for mine, and all of the other discs that have gone through this process.

Gary does make some valid points. Even in the screen grabs which have been unintentionally degraded by their faulty process, differences between the discs are still visible. Unfortunately, the difference that I worked so hard on retaining - the higher effective resolution and faithful representation of film grain (NOT an easy job with MPEG-2, let me assure you!) - has been masked.

DVDBeaver is a valuable resource, but they have a responsibility to accurately represent the contents of the disc.

Lastly, I take exception to the language used here, which I find unnecessarily sensationalist. I am unsure what part of a politely worded e-mail would require "placating"!

My open response to their response:

have the same person use the same system used to take the comparison images for "D'aimer" and "Femme" screen grab the Resolution test pattern and the Belle Nuite testchart from the "L'important c'est d'aimer" DVD, and share the results with us (perhaps on your response page?) This way, visitors can see for themselves the limitations imposed by your screen grabbing process by comparing the patterns to what they see on their own display. Denying the faults with some of the screen shots on your site is only going to further damage the credibility of the other comparisons which ARE representative.

Highlight "Setup" on the menu and press UP to access these patterns.

Lastly, I would like to make a point here. I am a freelance DVD producer. My complaints here are not Mondo Vision's (although they share my feeling about the images). That also means that I have no direct financial interest in the sales of these discs (although I am glad that they're doing well).

peerpee
not perpee

#79 Post by peerpee » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:57 am

David - a fine post, Sir.

It's frustrating that Gary keeps missing the point on all this and gets so defensive.

starmanof51

#81 Post by starmanof51 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:17 pm

ivandorris wrote:You are asking him to fix a technical problem, and calling him out publicly while doing so. If I were Gary I would feel attacked as well.
Due to some personal situations, I am feeling not a lot of sympathy these days with "because you have pointed out that I wronged you I am now the wronged one, how dare you" reactions. I don't see how feeling attacked could be the default here. At the least, it precludes constructive criticism and at worst is passive/aggressive (not saying this is what Gary's doing, but what anyone "feeling attacked" in this situation would mean to me). The problem was a public one potentially affecting Davd's reputation, and if he didn't point it out who was going to? How is his reputation less important than the Beav's?
ivandorris wrote:The fact and I think it is a fact, that their screen capture system isn’t perfect
Progress.
ivandorris wrote:You feel that your work was misrepresented and maybe it was
Maybe?
ivandorris wrote:so you should help to rectify the situation
If pointing it out and politely offering advice isn't helping, what is it?
ivandorris wrote:not bring down the reputation of a trusted, vital, and rare resource.
Surely that's entirely up to how Beav reacts, not David

Other than that, welcome to the forum, Ivan!

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#82 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:25 pm

David --

How long does it take to process a DVD with DGIndex (which you mentioned previously). (If "process" isn't the right word for what is involved, forgive me -- I just would like to know how cumbersome it is to use this process, compared to grabbing normal screen shots).

David M.

#83 Post by David M. » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:27 pm

You are asking him to fix a technical problem, and calling him out publicly while doing so. If I were Gary I would feel attacked as well.
Ivandoris: I agree totally that trying to fix the problem is much better than pointing it out on a public forum. That's exactly what I did last December when I e-mailed the site privately and informed them of the issue. Sadly, I was told that the images were accurate and I was mistaken!

I'd never call someone out publicly without giving them a chance to fix an innocent mistake. I think the best thing to do would be to give DVD Beaver the chance to tighten up their system - I'd gladly help them to do this, if they would just acknowledge the issue.

The fact they're not a huge company (neither am I) isn't relevant since they can avoid the problem by using the right technique - no new software should be necessary to take proper screen grabs.
How long does it take to process a DVD with DGIndex (which you mentioned previously). (If "process" isn't the right word for what is involved, forgive me -- I just would like to know how cumbersome it is to use this process, compared to grabbing normal screen shots).
Not very cumbersome. You can load the files from an unencrypted disc and skim through them to find the part you need, then hit F8 to copy the frame to the clipboard.
Last edited by David M. on Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HerrSchreck

#84 Post by HerrSchreck » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:28 pm

ivandorris wrote:so you should help to rectify the situation not bring down the reputation of a trusted, vital, and rare resource
Oh come on now! How was David trying to "Bring down" Beaver? Where in god's name was this man engaged in anything but strictly technical discussion-- which many among us including professionals like Jim Steffen and Nick Wrigley found agreeable and helpful-- about the transfer on the disc and the aspects and potential pitfalls of screengrabbing?

Has the beev ever issued, for example, a disclaimer at the top of each review where this fidelity gap is acknowledged?.. i e "Pls be advised that, while we strive to represent each transfer as faithfully as possible, the reality of data storage and bandwith budgeting force us to deliver our screencaps in a compressed format, where some loss of fidelity betwen the source and the image representing that source, may manifest." Gary claims it's an issue of jpeg compression, and provides an example from the Lang film which exhibits almost no variance in fidelity to the original image. Therefore, the huge difference in fidelity between the beaver's grabs and those provided by Mackenzie remain unacknowledged and essentially unexplained. He seems unwilling to broach the issue in an open, aerated fashion-- thus his brief statement which mildly mutates Mackenzies desire to ventilate the issue into something malevolent, and a probable refusal to discuss it any further.

It's long been unfortunate that Gary has been unwilling to engage in a discussion about the possibility of inconsistency and inaccuracy in his endeavors over the years without hysteria ensuing.

David M.

#85 Post by David M. » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:34 pm

Analyzing the HTML code on DVDBeaver's comparison page gives one possible explanation for the blurry screen shots mystery.

At the top of the page, we can see that the pages are created with an HTML Generator program:

Code: Select all

<META content="Microsoft FrontPage 6.0" name=GENERATOR><!--mstheme--><link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="../../_themes/2005/20051011.css"><meta name="Microsoft Theme" content="2005 1011">
From using this program years ago, I remember that it has its own built-in image resizing and cropping functions which can cause successive degradation of images. A possible scenario:

1. The screen grab is captured from the disc and pasted into Frontpage.
2. The image is cropped to remove 1.66:1 sidebars and saved. Degradation #1.
3. The image is then stretched out to correct for its pixel aspect ratio (anamorphic "unsqueezing") and gets degraded a second time.

I don't believe DVDBeaver has any in-depth info on how they're grabbing images, so we have no way of knowing what's going on for sure.

What A Disgrace

#86 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:32 pm

L'Amour braque on October 15.

* Digitally Restored High Definition Transfer Mastered For Progressive Scan (Approved by Director Andrzej Zulawski)
* Feature Length Audio Commentary With Director Andrzej Zulawski And Writer Daniel Bird
* Exclusive New Video Interview With Sophie Marceau: "Becoming Marie" [24:00]
* Video Interview With Director Of Photography J.F. Robin [24:00]
* Rare Archival Interviews & Behind The Scenes Footage From 1985 [16:00]
* Andrzej Zulawski Interview
* Francis Huster Interview
* Sophie Marceau Interview
* Behind The Scenes Footage
* Theatrical Trailer
* Image Gallery
* 28-page Booklet Featuring a Newly-Written Essay by Daniel Bird

(in Limited Edition)
* Exclusive 64pg Commemorative Booklet including a newly written essay by Daniel Bird + Rare and Insightful Essays & Interviews (retranslated and published for the first time ever in English)

* “One Man And His Mad Dog” By Michel Chion (Originally Appeared In Cahier Du Cinéma, March 1985 [N°369])
* "Andrzej Zulawski PORTRAIT": Rare Extensive Interview With ANDRZEJ ZULAWSKI (Originally Appeared In The French Film Magazine STARFIX, March 1985 [N°24])
* Extracts From The Original 1985 Press Kit:
- Andrzej Zulawski Interview
- Francis Huster Interview
- Tcheky Karyo Interview
- “Andrzej Zulawski: A Deep Breath” Short Piece By Étienne Roda-Gil
- “Sophie Marceau: A Girl Of The Street” Short Piece By Étienne Roda-Gil
- “Étienne Roda-Gil: The Vibration Of A Tuning Fork” Short Piece By Michele Halberstadt
[5x7] Color Reproduction of the Original French Poster
Certificate of Authenticity With Unique Serial # [Only 2000 Individually Numbered Sets Produced]

David M.

#87 Post by David M. » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:43 pm

Artwork is now showing on Amazon. I'm glad they're releasing this one sooner than I thought :)

Murdoch

#88 Post by Murdoch » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:04 pm

Seeing as there's no Zulawski thread I thought I'd ask this here: I've only seen The Third Part of the Night (which I loved), how reflective is that film of his other work?

Cash Flagg

#89 Post by Cash Flagg » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:04 am

Wow, looks like another beautiful set.

eltopo

#90 Post by eltopo » Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:33 pm

Limited Edition

What A Disgrace

#91 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:55 pm

Not that I mind Andrzej Zulawski having his own label; I'm anticipating each and every one of those discs with a spare change of pants just in case, but does Mondo Vision have any other directors under consideration?

j99

#92 Post by j99 » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:40 pm

Murdoch wrote:Seeing as there's no Zulawski thread I thought I'd ask this here: I've only seen The Third Part of the Night (which I loved), how reflective is that film of his other work?

I'd be interested to know myself, but on the strength of that film alone it's one I definitely want to see.

bigP

#93 Post by bigP » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:51 pm

Andrzej Zulawski's Szamanka (She Shaman, 1996) is showing as coming soon on the Mondo Vision site. Nothing else added yet, but I am liking the thumbnail sized cover art alot.

Also, i'm sorry if all of these were mentioned previously and I missed the post, but coming soon are:

Na Srebrnym Globie (The Silver Globe), 1977/1987
Trzecia Czesc Nocy (The Third Part Of The Night), 1971
Possession, 1981
Diabel (The Devil), 1972
La Note Bleue (The Blue Note), 1992

ouatitw

#94 Post by ouatitw » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:56 am

It seems to me that releasing Possession next would be a good idea because it likely would sell the best, plus I'm ready to see just how good it can look.

I can't wait for Szamanka which is one of my favorites and I still haven't seen The Blue Note, so I'm looking forward to that one as well.

menthymenthy

#95 Post by menthymenthy » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:20 am

Mmmmmmm..... =P~

anvilscepe

#96 Post by anvilscepe » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:54 am

What A Disgrace wrote:...does Mondo Vision have any other directors under consideration?
I emailed Mondo a couple of days ago with your same question and this is the reply that I received.
Thank you for your email and support. We take all requests into consideration and hopefully we'll be around to release films from other directors. At this point however we are putting all efforts to release definite editions of Zulawski's overlooked oeuvre.

Best, Mazi

MONDO VISION

David M.

#97 Post by David M. » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:19 pm

Just a note for everyone waiting for their copies of L'amour Braque: Mondo Vision have just told me that the shipment has arrived and that things are on track for October 15th. Success!

oldsheperd

#98 Post by oldsheperd » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:28 pm

The Silver Globe is almost unwatchable due to all the cuts and lost footage. I'm curious to see how Mondo will salvage this.

pro-bassoonist

#99 Post by pro-bassoonist » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:24 pm

Good luck, Dave!

The package looks spectacular. =D>

Pro-B

David M.

#100 Post by David M. » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:51 am

The Silver Globe is almost unwatchable due to all the cuts and lost footage. I'm curious to see how Mondo will salvage this.
Do you mean, are they going to videotape me with a miniDV camera and try to act out the missing scenes? The answer to that (fortunately) is "no" :lol:

DVD and seamless branching presents a few interesting ways to present that title. Perhaps we could give the option of watching the film without the "filler" parts and only show the finished footage, alongside the option of watching the authentic "as-is" version, of course. It all depends on the footage that's available and how well it would work in practise, and what Mondo Vision want to do with it.

L'amour Braque: Since I complained last time about video misrepresentation, I think it's only right to post some accurate screen grabs from the disc that will be shipping in less than a week's time. ("It's all right to complain, but can you do better?"). BTW, because DVD stores movies anamorphically with non-square pixels, I've resized these (Photoshop Bicubic filter) for viewing on a computer screen, which is why the Windows toolbar is stretched.

Oh yeah, and these files are stored as JPEG, for what it's worth.

Possible visual spoilers ahead!

EDIT: images removed. Photobucket had begun re-compressing them and making the encode look poor. Will reupload on my own server soon.

I hope the high levels of unfiltered detail (e.g. the shot of Francis Huster sitting in the chair, closeup details) is apparent from these screen grabs and that everyone enjoys the film.
Last edited by David M. on Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.