Cristaldi Film

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Scharphedin2

#1 Post by Scharphedin2 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:28 pm

The Italian DVD label Cristaldi Film is looking to be busy these days. Many of the titles that had gone out of print a couple of years ago have recently been re-released, and it looks like they have a good line-up of upcoming titles. Not all of them are subbed in English, but many are.

Personally, I have long been looking for Riso Amaro, and it looks like it is amongst the titles re-released at the end of September (I have ordered it and will comment further when I have it in hand - Svet Atanasov wrote an excellent review at DVD Talk of the first edition). There are several other interesting titles stemming from the '40s, '50s and '60s. Several of the label's Toto releases look fun (and have subtitles); if anyone is familiar with his films, I would be interested in recommendations.

I was unable to find an official web site for Cristaldi Film's DVD releases, but a fairly detailed listing can be found here.

kinjitsu

#2 Post by kinjitsu » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:01 pm

Would enjoy seeing Riso amaro again after all these years. Mangano, sì! And I adore Totò! I wonder if anyone will ever rerelease Cristo si è fermato a Eboli in its original TV version.

Scharphedin2

#3 Post by Scharphedin2 » Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:24 pm

kinjitsu wrote:I wonder if anyone will ever rerelease Cristo si è fermato a Eboli in its original TV version.
Me too, but at least Cristaldi Film's edition of the cinema cut is the best available version, non?! I believe this has also been out of print, and now re-released.

The Old Dark Arthouse

#4 Post by The Old Dark Arthouse » Sat Oct 20, 2007 1:59 pm

It's wonderful to see the Cristaldi library back in the market. They were previously with Fox Italy, then went missing for a while, the rumor being that Sony Italy had picked them up. (Maybe this label is a result of a Sony deal?) I'm very pleased the Toto discs have English subtitles, FINALLY I can see a Toto film! However it's frustrating looking at their other older films and seeing no English options. Their library is exactly the thing it seemed No Shame might be providing, but they've gone idle now.

Scharphedin2

#5 Post by Scharphedin2 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:59 am

I went ahead and ordered some of the newly (re-)released Cristaldifilm titles. On my system the films look very good; I have posted some stills over in the captures thread.

Each disc carries a couple of extras -- interviews, featurettes, commentary on selected scenes, etc -- that are in Italian only.

kekid

#6 Post by kekid » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:16 pm

Scharphedin2 wrote:I went ahead and ordered some of the newly (re-)released Cristaldifilm titles. On my system the films look very good; I have posted some stills over in the captures thread.

Each disc carries a couple of extras -- interviews, featurettes, commentary on selected scenes, etc -- that are in Italian only.
What is the run time of Christ Stopped at Eboli?

kinjitsu

#7 Post by kinjitsu » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:44 pm

According to the Cristaldi website & Italian etailers the disc is 150 minutes, but it's actually around 142 minutes.

Judging by Scharphedin's caps, this is the best looking transfer currently available, albeit, still short of it's original running time of 224 minutes.

rohmerin

#8 Post by rohmerin » Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:54 pm

L'onorevole Angelina, directed by Luigi Zampa and starred by powerfull Anna Magnani is a Cristaldi film released by FOX in an edition from 2003 that it's on sale at 9'90 euros at Rome. I bought, loved it and it's subtitled in English (crazy subtitles, sometimes they dissapear, and resume a long sentence in a fistfull of English words), but, given I an understand Italian without reading...