Ripley's Home Video

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Davidspector

Re: Ripley's Home Video

#26 Post by Davidspector » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:25 am

I distinctly remember that Criterion mentioned about a year ago that they hoped to do something with Ossessione. This surprised me because I have yet to see the film in any print or transfer that was Criterion quality and certainly nothing that approached what RHV did with La Terra Trema or La Signora di Tutti, both of which were immaculate. So there is perhaps still a chance for those of us who do not speak or read Italian. On the other hand, we still do not know the quality of this new transfer (if it is new).

Saimo

#27 Post by Saimo » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:19 am

Davidspector wrote: On the other hand, we still do not know the quality of this new transfer (if it is new).
Comparison

RHV transfer corresponds to an already released Italian disc. The film has been digitally restored, but this time we don't have La terra trema immaculate quality... However, it looks inarguably better than ever.

TMDaines

#28 Post by TMDaines » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:13 pm

Saimo wrote:
Davidspector wrote: On the other hand, we still do not know the quality of this new transfer (if it is new).
Comparison

RHV transfer corresponds to an already released Italian disc. The film has been digitally restored, but this time we don't have La terra trema immaculate quality... However, it looks inarguably better than ever.
Does page three of that topic confirm that the disk has english subs too? (which will of course be optional)

Davidspector

#29 Post by Davidspector » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:19 pm

Thanks, Saimo.

I clicked your link and ended up discovering that this Ossessione comes equipped with English subs - advertised as such also on Videociak (pardon any misspelling). Decided to bite the merciless Italian shipping cost bullet (it was more than the DVD) and so ordered. I'll let you all know how it looks unless someone else volunteers that information first.

Grazie -

jsteffe

#30 Post by jsteffe » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:45 pm

Thanks, everyone. I'm looking forward to ordering RHV's edition of Ossessione early next year.

Sadly, it looks as if this new transfer is as good as we'll likely ever get. One of the users on the Italian forum posted this quote from the DVDs booklet:
Il master digitale utilizzato per questa versione DVD è stato ottenuto a partire da due controtipi:uno infiammabile, stampato negli anni 50 da Visconti a preservazione delle copie positive che lo stesso regista era riuscito a ricostruire dopo la scomparsa del negativo originale del film;l'altro safety,stampato dalla Cineteca Nazionale.
Di questi materiali è stato realizzato un telecinema HD. Successivamente è stato rinvenuto un duplicato positivo del secondo tempo,la cui qualità fotografica è di gran lunga migliore rispetto ai materiali precedentemente indicati.Di questo ultimo materiale è stata fatta una scansione a 2 k. Il master digitale è stato ottenuto dalla collazione di queste diverse matrici.Le lavorazioni sono state eseguite presso Digital Film Lab di Copenaghen e RBC di Roma.

Saimo

#31 Post by Saimo » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:25 pm

TMDaines wrote:Does page three of that topic confirm that the disk has english subs too? (which will of course be optional)
I don't own it yet, but it should have english and french subs.
Sadly, it looks as if this new transfer is as good as we'll likely ever get.
I am afraid you are right. The negative was lost 60 years ago...

Saimo

#32 Post by Saimo » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:23 pm

Got it: english and french subs confirmed. ;)

perkizitore

#33 Post by perkizitore » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:23 pm

For Ossessione? =D>

Saimo

#34 Post by Saimo » Sun Dec 06, 2009 4:41 pm

Yes.
Extras have english subs, too.

TMDaines

#35 Post by TMDaines » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:29 pm

Just read this in an interview with RHV last year and thought it may interest a few people:

Ci può rivelare, in esclusiva per DVD italy, il titolo o il progetto editoriale su cui puntate di più per il prossimo futuro?
Una collana dedicata al cinema italiano, da tempo pensata e messa in cantiere, che porti a riconsiderare una buona fetta del nostro cinema degli anni ‘30, ‘40 e ’50 totalmente dimenticato. Una collana che, speriamo, possa servire come mezzo di conoscenza e di studio.

For the majority here that can't read Italian, a rough translation is:

Can we reveal, exclusively on DVD Italy, the title or project which the focus will be on in the near future?
A series dedicated to Italian cinema has long been thought about (and put off?), which reconsiders a good slice of totally forgotten Italian cinema from the 30s, 40s and 50s. A series that will hopefully serve as means of knowledge or study.

Sounds interesting...

TMDaines

#36 Post by TMDaines » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:18 am

A ridiculous amount of new stuff from Ripley's upcoming. I'm not certain if all of these are brand new releases, some are just reprints since they've switched distributors, some are new versions with more extras:

Perkins Cobb

#37 Post by Perkins Cobb » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:26 am

TMDaines wrote:A ridiculous amount of new stuff from Ripley's upcoming. I'm not certain if all of these are brand new releases, some are just reprints since they've switched distributors, some are new versions with more extras:
Yes, I gather these are the old DVDs coming back into print, as promised. What are you seeing with new extras? I didn't check every title, and I'm not entirely sure what's old and what's new, but I didn't click on anything interesting that comes with English subs, apart from the few I already have. Disappointing.

jsteffe

#38 Post by jsteffe » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:31 am

La Terra Trema is definitely a re-release, as are a number of others. But I found some other titles with subtitles, including:

Gelosia (Petro Germi)
Custodes Bestiae (Lorenzo Bianchini) - a horror film
Un Caso D'incoscienza (Emidio Greco)
A Luci Spente (Maurizio Ponzi)
7 Pistole Per I Macgregor (Franco Giraldi) No subs, but English dub
Assassination (Emilio Miraglia) No subs, but English dub
Duello Nel Texas (Ricardo Blasco) No subs, but English dub
Le Pistole Non Discutono (Mario Caiano)
Il Gabiano(Marco Bellocchio)
Pasolini Prossimo Nostro (Giuseppe Bertolucci)
Gli Occhi, La Bocca (Marco Bellocchio)
Fermo Posta Tinto Brass (Tinto Brass)
Un Altro Pianeta (Stefano Tummolini)

I had to stop at page 10. Too bad they don't seem to be subtitling any of the Toto films!

Perkins Cobb

#39 Post by Perkins Cobb » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:53 pm

Yeah, those have been around the block. I think the Rossellinis are new, right? ... And all unsubtitled.

TMDaines

#40 Post by TMDaines » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:25 pm

It was only the first three or four pages that were coming out in Feb or March.

Gelosia has been out for a while with English subs but I noticed it has some extras listed now on some other sites. Maybe it is just referring to what is contained inside the booklet. I opened my copy up from a few months ago and wasn't sure if the material collerated. I can't imagine Gelosia is a title they'd revisit. I haven't watched mine yet but the transfer is supposed to be stunning, even though it is only a DVD-5.

Anyone know anything about this film: Un Caso D'incoscienza. The DVD has English subs but I can't find anything on it in any language.
Last edited by TMDaines on Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saimo

#41 Post by Saimo » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:39 am

Ripley's has opened his own Amazon Store:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?ie ... 0WR9CXTU05" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

perkizitore

#42 Post by perkizitore » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:13 am

This shop is very expensive compared to Minerva's Italian Ebay store.

Saimo

#43 Post by Saimo » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:27 pm

I live in Italy, so I don't buy RHV discs on-line, but compared with http://www.ibs.it" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; shipping rates, I think RHV's Amazon Store is slighty cheaper... At least, for US customers.

perkizitore

#44 Post by perkizitore » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:18 pm

There is DVDland.it as well, i am sure it's cheaper to buy from there than RHV's Amazon store.

TMDaines

#45 Post by TMDaines » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:33 pm

dvd.it and ibs.it are your best bets. Dvd.it is probably the best when making a larger order as ibs.it shipping gets very high. I've spent more than enough at dvd.it this year.

perkizitore

#46 Post by perkizitore » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:53 pm

I think DVD.it has cheaper shipping than bol.it and ibs.it
Try and check ebay.it before buying, i made some great savings there.
Last edited by perkizitore on Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TMDaines

#47 Post by TMDaines » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:39 pm

Yeh, I tend to do that for individual purchases.

Saimo

#48 Post by Saimo » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:10 pm

perkizitore wrote:There is DVDland.it as well, i am sure it's cheaper to buy from there than RHV's Amazon store.
I have compared these sellers and I have calculated that:

1860 (2 disc boxset)
RHV Amazon: 40 $
DVDland: 39 $
IBS: 42 $

But I may be wrong, since I live in Italy and I have no experience in buying from US...

TMDaines

#49 Post by TMDaines » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:01 pm

Received a shipment from dvd.it today that included, amongst other things, Ripley's excellent Per un pugno di dollari Blu-ray release:

ImageImageImage

This is honestly the best Blu-ray release I think I've got my hands on so far. Beautifully packaged and one of the booklets is seemingly repeatedly hand-signed by someone (not sure by whom). They do appear to be phasing this release out though in favour of one in a standard Blu-ray case, with none of the paper extras I guess, so anyone who wants one does need to move quickly.
Last edited by TMDaines on Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TMDaines

#50 Post by TMDaines » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:49 am

Siamo donne seems to be going out of print (or perhaps needs a new print run). Multiple big stores have delisted it or stated that it's not available (ibs.it, dvd.it, deastore, lafeltrinelli.it). Only fnac.it has it still on the five or six sites I checked.