New Yorker: Moses and Aaron

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
BrunoForestier

New Yorker: Moses and Aaron

#1 Post by BrunoForestier » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:38 pm

New Yorker: Moses and Aaron (Straub and Huillet, 1975)

Noticed this in the most recent Facets newsletter in the section highlighting new and upcoming releases by other companies.

Not much info on who is releasing it, though a date of June 26 is listed. Couldn't figure out how to link to it, but if you go here and search Straub you'll find the listing.

Anonymous

#2 Post by Anonymous » Sun Apr 22, 2007 1:48 pm

There's an unsubtitled Japanese DVD out there that is absolutely marvellous. There needs to be more Straub/Huillet on DVD. Edition Filmmuseum still hasn't released their Class Relations Double Disc set. And then, the world needs Fortini-Cani, From the Clouds to the Resistance, Too Early, Too Late and Not Reconciled!

jsteffe

#3 Post by jsteffe » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:08 am

I'm sure we could verify it with them, but New Yorker Films has the rights to most of the Straub/Huillet films in the US, including MOSES AND AARON. They're probably the ones putting out this DVD.

fred

#4 Post by fred » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:19 am

Nothing to do with the Straub-Huillet film, alas.

But the Japanese dvd of Moses und Aron is truly magnificent, so if you can track down a copy of the libretto it's easy enough to follow along.
MOSES AND AARON
And for G-d's sake, the film--like the opera--is called Moses und Aron. Just one a, per Schönberg's superstition.

BrunoForestier

#5 Post by BrunoForestier » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:59 am

Did you even bother to read the listing on the Facets website? They are most definitely referring to the Straub and Huillet film. Here's the text:

Moses and Aaron

Brechtian, avant-garde, minimalist and materialist, the filmic output of Jean-Marie Straub and wife Daniele Huillet is not so much fictional storytelling but a series of beautiful, elliptical, clever, and austere visions composed on almost musical terms. Moses und Aron, a relentless reinterpretation of Arnold Schoenberg's already modernist opera about the life of Moses and the Ten Commandments, is no exception to the filmmakers' aesthetic rules. In German with optional English subtitles.

Includes the short film Introduction to Arnold Schoenberg's "Accompaniment fo a Cinematographic Scene".
NOT YET RELEASED: Available on 06/26/2007, Order Now!
$29.95

Jean-Marie Straub/
Daniele Huillet

Austria/France/West Germany/Italy

107 mins.

As you can see, this is something completely different from what you managed to find. This is why I rarely post anything here - it's usually met with second-guessing and griping rather than the expected enthusiasm.

yoshimori

#6 Post by yoshimori » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:07 am

BrunoForestier wrote:Moses and Aaron
Thanks for alerting us, Mr Forestier!

fred

#7 Post by fred » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:28 pm

BrunoForestier wrote:Did you even bother to read the listing on the Facets website? They are most definitely referring to the Straub and Huillet film.

My apologies--and thanks for the clarification. I'd already seen the listing for the new dvd of the opera, which is coming out soon as well, so I presumed it was the same disc. The original post mentioned that there weren't many details on the Facets site, so rather than checking there I looked for another listing of the disc I'd already seen announced. This is good news indeed.

But is the attitude really necessary?

tavernier

#8 Post by tavernier » Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:56 pm

This is coming from New Yorker on June 26.

yoshimori

#9 Post by yoshimori » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:16 pm

Anonymous wrote:Edition Filmmuseum still hasn't released their Class Relations Double Disc set.
This was supposed to be a spring 2007 release. The edition filmmuseum site now says October 2007.

Kinsayder

#10 Post by Kinsayder » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:41 pm

Moses und Aron will be included in a Straub and Huillet boxset, out in France from Editions Montparnasse in October, to be followed by a second set of their Italian films next year.

Contents of the first set:

Disque 1
- Machorka-Muff ·1962, 16 minutes 51 secondes, N& B · «Un rêve symboliquement abstrait, pas une histoire. » D'après Journal du général Erich von Teuf-Teufzim dans la capitale fédérale de Heinrich Böll.
- Non réconciliés ou Seule la violence aide où la violence règne (Nicht versöhnt oder Es hilft nur Gewalt, wo Gewalt herrscht) ·1964-1965, 49 minutes 53 secondes, N & B · D'après Les deux sacrements de Heinrich Böll.

Disque 2
- Moïse et Aaron (Moses und Aron) ·1974, 102 minutes 18 secondes, couleur · Opéra en trois actes – inachevé – d'Arnold Schoenberg, principalement écrit entre le 7 mai 1930 (Berlin) et le 18 mars 1932 (Barcelone). Direction musicale : Michael Gielen.

Disque 3
- Introduction à la « Musique d'accompagnement pour une scène de film » de Arnold Schoenberg (Einleitung zu Arnold Schoenbergs Begleitmusik zu einer Lichtspielscene) · 1972, 15 mn, couleur et N & B · Textes d'Arnold Schoenberg (lettres à Wassily Kandinsky, 20 avril et 4 mai 1923) et de Bertold Brecht (discours au Congrès International des Intellectuels contre le Fascisme, Paris, 1935). Musique : Arnold Schoenberg, Begleitmusik zu einer Lichtspielscene, opus 34, 1929- 1930.
- Du jour au lendemain (Von Heute auf Morgen) ·1996, 59 minutes, N & B · Opéra en un acte d'Arnold Schoenberg. Livret : Max Blonda. 1929. Direction musicale : Michael Gielen.

Gropius

#11 Post by Gropius » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:16 pm

Kinsayder wrote:Moses und Aron will be included in a Straub and Huillet boxset, out in France from Editions Montparnasse in October, to be followed by a second set of their Italian films next year.
Thanks for alerting us to that - looks like a very exciting set. It's already listed on Amazon for an eminently reasonable 33.55 Euros.

I'm not sure how talky these films are (presumably the opera is just the libretto), but I suppose those of us with rudimentary literacy can muddle through with the French subtitles. An English port in the near future (of the set, not just a New Yorker Moses) doesn't sound likely.

John Cope

Re: New Yorker: Moses and Aaron (1975, Straub and Huillet)

#12 Post by John Cope » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:18 am

The extended online version of a piece from the new Film Comment.

tavernier

Re: New Yorker: Moses and Aaron (1975, Straub and Huillet)

#13 Post by tavernier » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:44 pm

Pushed back to January 27, 2009.