Anchor Bay: Mario Bava Box Sets

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
colinr0380

#76 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Mar 26, 2007 9:19 pm

Person

#77 Post by Person » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:11 pm

I received my set today. Gorgeous transfers - oh! I watched Kill, Baby... Kill! tonight and it was great to finally see it uncropped and in well-saturated color. Classic Bava atmospherics and its well-paced, too. Shame that Lucas' commentary couldn't have been added, though.

I also have Rabid Dogs on the way. Incidentally, Tim Lucas spent considerable time translating the dialogue for subtitles years ago that were vigorous and full-blooded (ie. dirty words) but Anchor didn't use them and created all-new subs that are a bit staid and formal according to Lucas. A pity, so bear this in mind when watching the film.

Lino

#78 Post by Lino » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:35 pm

So, I take it that the famous deleted scene on Black Sunday is still not included into the feature as opposed to the italian disc, where it in fact is?

Michael

#79 Post by Michael » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:37 pm

What's the famous deleted scene, Lino?

blindside8zao

#80 Post by blindside8zao » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:40 pm

I wonder if this will ship earlier than the release date?

Lino

#81 Post by Lino » Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:43 pm

It's the one where the Steele character is talking to her father on the outside of her mansion/castle/big house/whatever near a fountain. I think but am not sure that the old Image disc had it as an extra or something (or at least written info about it) but the current italian DVD SE is the only edition so far (not sure about the new AB one) that places it into the feature in the correct place according to the original script.

It's nothing significant or important to the story but as a curiosity, it's interesting and does make sense and does not feel out of place as some scenes do in, for instance, the longer cut of Deep Red. BTW, this scene does not have an english dub option on the italian disc as I believe it was left out of american prints at the time.

patrick

#82 Post by patrick » Fri Mar 30, 2007 1:43 pm

I received my set today. Gorgeous transfers - oh! I watched Kill, Baby... Kill! tonight and it was great to finally see it uncropped and in well-saturated color. Classic Bava atmospherics and its well-paced, too. Shame that Lucas' commentary couldn't have been added, though.
Agreed about the discs, they look amazing. However, the packaging is terrible. I don't mind the slim cases but the art looks thrown together and a booklet would have been really nice. I could have also done without "BAVA" appearing multiple times on every possible part of the box.

Hopefully the Jodorowsky box will have better packaging, but then again Anchor Bay has never really gone in for premium packaging, even on stuff like the Herzog sets.

Michael

#83 Post by Michael » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:37 am

Throw away your VCI disc of Kill Baby Kill!. The new transfer is tear-inducingly beautiful. For instance, the green and purple cobwebs of the mausoleum never look so rich and detailed. It was like seeing the film for the first time again. Same thing with Black Sunday but I don't have the Image disc to make the comparision. I will be watching Black Sabbath for the first time tonight.

davebert

#84 Post by davebert » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:20 am

I really liked Rabid Dogs/Kidnapped more than I thought I would, given that it's a standalone castaway from the box set. Barebones but the image quality is real good.

Person

#85 Post by Person » Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:41 pm

It isn't bare bones - it has a 15-minute featurette and a good Tim Lucas commentary. It's a raw, often crude thriller with a somewhat annoying score, but it has power, though I don't rate it as highly as other Bava fans.

Lino

#86 Post by Lino » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:35 am

DVDManiacs reviews Kidnapped.

Michael

#87 Post by Michael » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:54 am

I picked up the just-released disc of Kidnapped/Rabid Dogs. First viewing for me and I loved it. Really loved it. Bava got right to the action from the first frame and refused to let go till the very disturbing end. Skip Kidnapped and watch Rabid Dogs. It's a big mistake that Kidnapped didn't include the very last scene because that scene (what an incredible effect!) ultimately peels off the already-ugly surface to something even more ugly and unsettling. I've not listened to Tim Lucas' commentary yet but I'm planning to this weekend when I have more time. Rabid Dogs may be an unfinished film but I think it's perfect just the way it is. Raw, sweaty, bloody. I don't really understand the point of including Kidnapped so maybe Lucas' commentary will give me a better understanding hopefully.

I think Rabid Dogs has more guts, rush and nihilism than all of Peckinpah's masterpieces put together. Worth a look at this very underrated film by a very underrated director.

blindside8zao

#88 Post by blindside8zao » Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:25 pm

mine came today. Definetly the ugliest packaging on anything I've received the whole year. Clumsy too. Kind of looks like something a kid using the spray can in the windows paint application might put together. Can't complain too much for the excellent price, though. I'm looking forward to watching these.

Michael

#89 Post by Michael » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:18 pm

I'm looking forward to watching these.
For the first time?

I agree with your assessment of the packaging. I finished watching Black Sabbath just now. Rabid Dogs last night, Sabbath tonight. Jesus, I don't know what to say! My head's still spinning from being completely stunned.

Lino

#90 Post by Lino » Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:42 pm

Lino wrote:So, I take it that the famous deleted scene on Black Sunday is still not included into the feature as opposed to the italian disc, where it in fact is?
Can anyone confirm this now? My set is still on the way so I'll only be able to tell if that scene is indeed included when it arrives. So far the reviews don't mention anything about it.

davebert

#91 Post by davebert » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:22 am

Hey, can anyone say whether these are slimpacks inside the box or a fold-out? I want to break up this box for rent, but folding boxes are far more troublesome than easily split-up slims...

Otherwise I guess I may have to actually buy it to see it!

Matt

#92 Post by Matt » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:23 am

Each film is in a separate thinpak.

blindside8zao

#93 Post by blindside8zao » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:52 pm

I'm probably watching black sunday tonight, if you'll tell me what I'm looking for I'll tell you, Lino.

davebert

#94 Post by davebert » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:42 pm

Excellent. My bank account is still reeling, so the slim packs ought to give it a slight reprieve.

Lino

#95 Post by Lino » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:57 am

From above, blindsize8zao:
Lino wrote:It's the one where the Steele character is talking to her father on the outside of her mansion/castle/big house/whatever near a fountain. I think but am not sure that the old Image disc had it as an extra or something (or at least written info about it) but the current italian DVD SE is the only edition so far (not sure about the new AB one) that places it into the feature in the correct place according to the original script.

It's nothing significant or important to the story but as a curiosity, it's interesting and does make sense and does not feel out of place as some scenes do in, for instance, the longer cut of Deep Red. BTW, this scene does not have an english dub option on the italian disc as I believe it was left out of american prints at the time.

blindside8zao

#96 Post by blindside8zao » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:50 am

I do recall there being a scene outside with a fountain, but I can't recall who was there or at what point in the movie it occurred. For some reason I'm relating the image of the fountain with the scene where she's outside with the younger doctor standing close behind her stroking her hair. I'm not sure if that's correct or not. Regardless, I do remember there being a fountain outdoor their castle/mansion. Does it appear in more than the deleted scene?

Lino

#97 Post by Lino » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:43 pm

This is getting too complicated. Worry not, as soon as I get my set, I'll report back with the verdict.

tartarlamb

#98 Post by tartarlamb » Thu Apr 12, 2007 10:17 pm

I just watched it and I don't remember the scene at all. I think it cuts from the carriage directly to Steele playing the piano (assuming the scene would have been there).

Michael

#99 Post by Michael » Sun Apr 15, 2007 11:47 am

DVD image comparison: Black Sunday

zombeaner

#100 Post by zombeaner » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:54 pm

This is on sale for $23.98 at Deep Discount right now:

Mario Bava Vol. 1