RUSCICO (Russian Cinema Council)

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Perkins Cobb

Re: RUSCICO (Russian Cinema Council)

#176 Post by Perkins Cobb » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:56 am

Are you taking a chance on the I Am Twenty DVD? If you don't, I might.

SpiderBaby

#177 Post by SpiderBaby » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:30 pm

Perkins Cobb wrote:Are you taking a chance on the I Am Twenty DVD? If you don't, I might.
I most likely will after I get through with the Criterion sale. I believe there is 1 from a seller on Amazon, but RussianDVD.com has copies. It would be nice to know about the transfer though.

Perkins Cobb

#178 Post by Perkins Cobb » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:55 pm

It seems like, five years ago, a lot of these obscure titles would get reviewed someplace ... but nowadays any time I run an import title thru DVD Basen, I get nada. I guess a lot of the sites and individual reviewers who pursued this stuff have given up the ghost.

mteller

#179 Post by mteller » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:01 pm

I have I Am Twenty... my collection is it's a passable but flawed transfer. Sorry I can't be more specific, maybe I'll pop it in later.

SpiderBaby

#180 Post by SpiderBaby » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:04 pm

mteller wrote:I have I Am Twenty... my collection is it's a passable but flawed transfer. Sorry I can't be more specific, maybe I'll pop it in later.
Thanks. As long as it's not too bad, it should be fine. Better than nothing.
Perkins Cobb wrote:It seems like, five years ago, a lot of these obscure titles would get reviewed someplace ... but nowadays any time I run an import title thru DVD Basen, I get nada. I guess a lot of the sites and individual reviewers who pursued this stuff have given up the ghost.
I have noticed that as well.

MichaelB

#181 Post by MichaelB » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:52 pm

Perkins Cobb wrote:It seems like, five years ago, a lot of these obscure titles would get reviewed someplace ... but nowadays any time I run an import title thru DVD Basen, I get nada. I guess a lot of the sites and individual reviewers who pursued this stuff have given up the ghost.
Or graduated to a paying job at print magazines that aren't covered by DVD-Basen.

(Sorry!)

Ashirg

#182 Post by Ashirg » Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:23 am

I Am Twenty review (in Russian, but with captures. Ruscico disc has English subtitles) Also comments say that this is edited version by about 20 minutesю Uncut version should be titled Zastava Ilijcha

Perkins Cobb

#183 Post by Perkins Cobb » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:24 am

Ashirg wrote:I Am Twenty review (in Russian, but with captures. Ruscico disc has English subtitles) Also comments say that this is edited version by about 20 minutesю Uncut version should be titled Zastava Ilijcha
I wondered about that, actually. The print that showed in New York 10 years ago was a full three hours.

Gropius

#184 Post by Gropius » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:01 am

jsteffe wrote:Good news, RUSCICO is in fact working to get their site back up and running. They've already started to repopulate the online catalog. So it seems that your friend was correct.
Has anyone else tried ordering via the RUSCICO site lately? Having navigated their eccentric order form (mandatory fax number; won't accept postcodes with letters in), I still keep getting an error message at the payment screen.

Quite frustrating, as Google throws up no other retailers, at least for the title I'm after. Presumably they don't accept orders via email?

gselich

#185 Post by gselich » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:19 am

Strange that RUSCICO had a smoothly operating website but chose to redesign it so as to make it impossible to place an order...

I've been able to order RUSCICO titles I want at Petershop, and Russian DVD.

TMDaines

#186 Post by TMDaines » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:22 pm

Wasn't sure where to post this but Hyperkino editions are now available from Moviemail in the UK.
Gropius wrote:
jsteffe wrote:Good news, RUSCICO is in fact working to get their site back up and running. They've already started to repopulate the online catalog. So it seems that your friend was correct.
Has anyone else tried ordering via the RUSCICO site lately? Having navigated their eccentric order form (mandatory fax number; won't accept postcodes with letters in), I still keep getting an error message at the payment screen.

Quite frustrating, as Google throws up no other retailers, at least for the title I'm after. Presumably they don't accept orders via email?
I got nowhere either. The payment system seems to no longer be working.

John Edmond

#187 Post by John Edmond » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:02 am

Thanks, that'll be much easier.

TMDaines

#188 Post by TMDaines » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:13 am

Has anyone got any reviews of the Strike and October discs? I presume they are decent transfers with the original intertitles etc?

MichaelB

#189 Post by MichaelB » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:29 am

Do you mean the Academia releases? If so, here's my Sight & Sound review:
By a sad coincidence, the Russian Cinema Council released the first batch of DVDs in its new scholarly Academia strand shortly after the death of Martin Gardner, author of 'The Annotated Alice', a work that perfectly parallels what Ruscico is attempting here. Indeed, a good subtitle for either of these releases would be 'The Annotated Eisenstein', as each consists of two discs, one containing a conventional presentation of the main feature (in the original Russian with multiple subtitle options), the other the same version but augmented by the Hyperkino process.

In practice, this means that numbers resembling TV channel indicators regularly pop up in the top right-hand corner, indicating the presence of scene-specific contextual material (presented in Russian or English) that the viewer can dip into while watching the film. Typically, this consists of a short essay (often running to several pages) occasionally illustrated further with enlargeable stills and playable video and audio clips. For instance, note 16 on Strike expands on the intertitle quoting the lyric reading "Everything that holds up their thrones is the making of the worker's hand" by identifying the song, giving its history, and linking to a 1947 recording of a complete performance with onscreen translation. 28 such footnotes accompany Strike, while October gets 44 - and also a markedly richer multimedia augmentation, with numerous short clips from other Soviet silents by Eisenstein, Pudovkin and Vertov and even Fernand Léger's Ballet Mécanique pressed into the service of illustrating and paralleling Eisenstein's ideas.

The Hyperkino annotations are these discs' main selling points, but the presentation of the main features is also a marked improvement on earlier releases. Both films run longer than on the Eureka and Tartan DVDs, suggesting a more accurate framerate, and the surprisingly clean images have clearly been digitally restored. The orchestral scores work reasonably well, though they don't appear to have been specifically composed for the films (Strike, for instance, opens with Shostakovich's second piano concerto). There are no non-Hyperkino extras or any printed supplements, though the various 'chapters' of the Hyperkino commentary can be accessed separately via their own menu.

Finch

#190 Post by Finch » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:12 am

TMDaines wrote:Wasn't sure where to post this but Hyperkino editions are now available from Moviemail in the UK.
Thanks for that my friend, I ordered By the Bluest of Seas from them. Shame they haven't got The House on Trubnaya Square (not sure I want to splash on the Flicker Alley set just for that one film).

antnield

#191 Post by antnield » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:28 am

Finch wrote:Shame they haven't got The House on Trubnaya Square (not sure I want to splash on the Flicker Alley set just for that one film).
Edition Filmmuseum have this one 'forthcoming' (no date, but they do have a sleeve design up on their website) as a double-bill with Devuska s korobkoj/The Girl with the Hat Box.

Finch

#192 Post by Finch » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:19 pm

Thanks Anthony, will keep an eye on their website

NABOB OF NOWHERE

Classic Russian Cinema (Hyperkino Edition)

#193 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:36 am

MichaelB

Re: Classic Russian Cinema (Hyperkino Edition)

#194 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:55 am

My Sight & Sound piece on Strike and October is reproduced here.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#195 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:15 am

whoops... must have missed that thread. We can close this one or leave it with its own banner if any mod wants to intervene?

MichaelB

#196 Post by MichaelB » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:20 am

Well, it's probably good to highlight that they have legitimate UK distribution.

TMDaines

#197 Post by TMDaines » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:56 am

MichaelB wrote:Well, it's probably good to highlight that they have legitimate UK distribution.
It was already highlighted in the RUSCICO thread. ;)

Saimo

#198 Post by Saimo » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:10 pm

I have October and The Great Consoler DVDs... Very impressive.

zedz

#199 Post by zedz » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:48 pm

These are also available to order from Amazon UK, probably slightly cheaper for non-UK residents once they deduct VAT (and MUCH cheaper if you're in one of the countries with free international shipping).

henry001

#200 Post by henry001 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:41 pm

There are two issues of October by Ruscico. It is obvious the one is Hyperkino edition and the other is without Hyperkino. I do not need the Hyperkino edition as long as DVD quality and the rest of the movie itself is identical. But the former running time seems to be 115 minutes and the the latter is 103 minutes. The former was issued on 2010 but I do not have any knowledge as to when the latter was issued.

Does anyone know about the difference between two issues by Ruscico?
http://ruscico.com/catalog/dvdsearch/?s ... &sg_type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;