Second Sight Films (UK)

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

Re: Second Sight Films (UK)

#501 Post by tenia » Sat May 23, 2020 5:02 pm

And also The Changeling, Xtro, When A Stranger Calls, and The Color of Pomegranates.

Calvin

#502 Post by Calvin » Tue May 26, 2020 10:58 am

Dawn of the Dead is now available to pre-order direct from Second Sight or Zavvi.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#504 Post by swo17 » Tue May 26, 2020 3:53 pm

Yeah, Base is a lot cheaper because they deduct VAT, charge much less for shipping, and don't add tax.

I'm curious how many people might be going for the UHD vs. the BD editions

Cash Flagg

#505 Post by Cash Flagg » Tue May 26, 2020 4:04 pm

I'm going to pre-order from Diabolik, even if it costs a little bit more than Base/Zavvi, so I can avoid the risk of cancellation in the case of a sellout (and Diabolik always has excellent packing/customer service).

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#506 Post by Drucker » Tue May 26, 2020 5:50 pm

Cash Flagg wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:04 pm
I'm going to pre-order from Diabolik, even if it costs a little bit more than Base/Zavvi, so I can avoid the risk of cancellation in the case of a sellout (and Diabolik always has excellent packing/customer service).
How likely is this to occur, the risk of cancellation?

Cronenfly

#507 Post by Cronenfly » Thu May 28, 2020 3:05 am

I’m curious about cancellation too. Base is the only economically feasible option for me, so I guess I’m just SOL if they can’t come through.

eerik

#508 Post by eerik » Thu May 28, 2020 4:34 am

Pre-orders are "guaranteed" to be filled per Second Sight's own Twitter account. I don't remember if they've said how limited the set is, but it looks like they are going to produce at least enough to fill all the pre-orders.

Cronenfly

#509 Post by Cronenfly » Thu May 28, 2020 2:50 pm

Great, thanks for that.

Calvin

#510 Post by Calvin » Mon Jun 01, 2020 12:01 pm

WALKABOUT: LIMITED EDITION Blu-ray box set released July 27th. Brand new 4K scan and restoration, new extras and 3 books!! Full details shortly, here's the gorgeous new artwork by Michael Boland...

Calvin

#511 Post by Calvin » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:50 am

Available July 27th
Director: Nicolas Roeg

Starring: Jenny Agutter, Lucien John, David Gulpilil

Following the suicide of their father, Mary and her younger brother Peter are left stranded in the blistering heat of the vast Australian outback. Facing exhaustion and starvation, their salvation comes when they cross paths with an Aboriginal boy on ‘walkabout’, a ritual in which he must leave his home and learn to survive off the land. He teaches them how to survive in the wilderness but a clash of cultures leads to terrible and tragic consequences.

Special Features

Brand new 4k scan and restoration
A new audio commentary with Luc Roeg and David Thompson
Producing Walkabout: a new interview with Producer Si Litvinoff
Luc’s Walkabout: a new interview with Luc Roeg
Jenny in the Outback: a new interview with Jenny Agutter
Remembering Roeg: a new interview with Danny Boyle
2011 BFI Q&A with Nicolas Roeg, Jenny Agutter and Luc Roeg
Archive introduction by Nicolas Roeg
English SDH subtitles for the hearing impaired

Limited Edition Contents

Limited Edition Box Set of only 3,000
Rigid slipcase with new artwork by Michael Boland
The source novel ‘Walkabout’ with cover artwork excusive to this release
Soft cover book featuring facsimile copy of the original 65 page First Draft Script with preface by Daniel Bird
Soft cover book with new essays by Sophie Monks Kaufman, Simon Abrams and Daniel Bird plus stills and lobby card images

Luke M

#512 Post by Luke M » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:31 pm

Dawn of the Dead is up for pre-order at Diabolikdvd. It'll only be available to order today and tomorrow.

perkizitore

#513 Post by perkizitore » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:05 pm

Luke M wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:31 pm
Dawn of the Dead is up for pre-order at Diabolikdvd. It'll only be available to order today and tomorrow.
I guess that is the maximum they could keep Rubinstein distracted enough to make this happen! :P

Adam X

#514 Post by Adam X » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:39 pm

Glad I didn’t sleep on it then.
Last edited by Adam X on Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Adam X

#515 Post by Adam X » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:06 am

**MARTIN update**
We've been looking into additional source elements and have materials to inspect. Unfortunately the lockdowns have delayed this process but we are hoping to pick up again soon. A release date is now being held until we are more sure of the timings. Thanks for bearing with us.

Calvin

#516 Post by Calvin » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:13 am

Trailer for their release of Walkabout

It's not even in full HD, so it's not going to provide any revelations into the new restoration but it does give a look at the package.

GaryC

#517 Post by GaryC » Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:46 pm

Calvin wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:50 am
Director: Nicolas Roeg

Starring: Jenny Agutter, Lucien John, David Gulpilil
Following the suicide of their father, Mary and her younger brother Peter are left stranded in the blistering heat of the vast Australian outback. Facing exhaustion and starvation, their salvation comes when they cross paths with an Aboriginal boy on ‘walkabout’, a ritual in which he must leave his home and learn to survive off the land. He teaches them how to survive in the wilderness but a clash of cultures leads to terrible and tragic consequences.
An error here - the children are only called Mary and Peter in the novel, which is quite different to the film in many ways. In the film, they're not named, not even in the end credits.

Calvin

#518 Post by Calvin » Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:00 am

Beaver on Walkabout

Detail advances leaps and bounds over the Criterion, but the colours might cause some chin stroking...

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#519 Post by tenia » Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:09 am

I havent compared yet the colors but in terms of texture, it's a huge leap forward.

jsteffe

#520 Post by jsteffe » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:57 am

I'm looking forward to Second Sight's Blu of WALKABOUT. Based on the screen captures (which you always have to take with a grain of salt), it looks as if they were able to get more detail *and* color information going back to the negative in 4K. The greens are more vibrant, whereas they are limited in the older Criterion transfer. I'll need to see it in person ultimately, but so far it looks very promising. My only wish is that they could release a 4K UHD someday!

Calvin

#521 Post by Calvin » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:28 am

To their credit, Second Sight responded to queries about a 4K UHD when they announced Walkabout:
While we would have loved to release on 4K, sadly UHD production costs, from HDR grading to encoding, mastering charges and disc replication, are just too high and would be make it unviable for this release. We're constantly monitoring the UHD market and are hoping to release more on the format but have to be very selective with the titles we choose.
Judging by the fact that Vinegar Syndrome have managed to sell 12,000 UHD copies of Rad, I wonder if some labels aren't underestimating the market that will buy a 4K release for the sake of it being a 4K release (or maybe I just don't want to believe there are 12,000 fans of Rad). Though VS's in-house scanning and mastering facilities probably makes it less costly for them.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#522 Post by tenia » Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:32 am

Again, remember there is no BD-only release of RAD, so anyone wanting to BD had to buy the UHD with it too.

PfR73

#523 Post by PfR73 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:36 am

And Rad has never had any previous DVD or Blu-ray release.

nitin

#524 Post by nitin » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:49 am

And Vinegar Syndrome also sold out thousands of matchbox size mini slips in their last sale...

David M.

#525 Post by David M. » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:00 pm

Calvin wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:28 am
To their credit, Second Sight responded to queries about a 4K UHD when they announced Walkabout:
While we would have loved to release on 4K, sadly UHD production costs, from HDR grading to encoding, mastering charges and disc replication, are just too high and would be make it unviable for this release. We're constantly monitoring the UHD market and are hoping to release more on the format but have to be very selective with the titles we choose.
Judging by the fact that Vinegar Syndrome have managed to sell 12,000 UHD copies of Rad, I wonder if some labels aren't underestimating the market that will buy a 4K release for the sake of it being a 4K release (or maybe I just don't want to believe there are 12,000 fans of Rad). Though VS's in-house scanning and mastering facilities probably makes it less costly for them.
The VS UHD BDs were done at Fidelity in Motion (same as the Second Sight titles). VS do handle the BDs themselves though.