CasaNegra

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Lino

#26 Post by Lino » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:46 am

Casa Negra have unveiled one more upcoming title: The Living Coffin, which appears to be a horror western hybrid!

ByMarkClark.com

#27 Post by ByMarkClark.com » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:11 pm

I couldn't find it listed yet on this thread, so let me add that CasaNegra also communicated a tentative date of 5/29 for the excellent WORLD OF THE VAMPIRES.

They have also confirmed, but not provided a date for, the -- um -- less than excellent THE LIVING HEAD.

Ledos

#28 Post by Ledos » Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:15 am

La cabeza viviente (The Living Head) has been mentioned as a September 25. release.

Matt

#29 Post by Matt » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:25 pm

I feel like it's pointless to ask here since I think I'm the only one buying these, but has anyone else experienced problems with the two most recent CasaNegra releases, The Man and the Monster and The Living Coffin? Both discs have electric blue subtitles (very hard on the eyes) and both skip intermittently on my Malata 520 (but seem to play okay in my iMac DVD drive). I've had no problems with their previous discs and so can only assume they've either forgone quality control and/or have switched authoring houses.

None of the few reviews out there mention either problem and I've e-mailed CasaNegra to no avail. I wonder if these problems are similar to the "playability problems" they had with the Girl Boss Guerilla discs.

BrightEyes23

#30 Post by BrightEyes23 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:37 pm

ive got all of the previous releases, waiting for the next DDD 20% off sale before i make any more dvd purchases.

i'll be interested in seeing what the official response is though.

Ashirg

#31 Post by Ashirg » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:01 pm

Matt

#32 Post by Matt » Tue May 01, 2007 5:16 pm

I received a reply from CasaNegra. The blue subtitles are intentional, but my discs are apparently "damaged" (read: it's not their fault). I guess I'll keep these two and watch them on the computer (oh joy!), but my CasaNegra completism ends here.

vogler

#33 Post by vogler » Tue May 01, 2007 6:43 pm

Matt wrote:The blue subtitles are intentional
Blue subtitles? Blue? :?

Blue?

Matt

#34 Post by Matt » Tue May 01, 2007 11:38 pm

vogler wrote:
Matt wrote:The blue subtitles are intentional
Blue subtitles? Blue? :?

Blue?
Yep. Blue:

BrightEyes23

#35 Post by BrightEyes23 » Tue May 01, 2007 11:44 pm

wow weirdness...i guess they heard all the bitching about yellow subtitles and opted for another color :)

matt, can't you just contact whatever (r)etailer you got the discs from and see if they'll exchange?
although the couple of times i've bought criterion discs that had authoring errors on the discs criterion replaced them for me.

globalcafe

#36 Post by globalcafe » Wed May 02, 2007 8:13 am

I am having issues with my disc for The Man and The Monster. I am about to purchase a new player, but the image freezes and jumps on my Malata player. So you are not alone. I have yet to preview The Living Coffin.

ByMarkClark.com

#37 Post by ByMarkClark.com » Wed May 02, 2007 10:30 am

I have both of these but haven't had a chance to watch them yet. I was planning to pop them in tomorrow night. I have a Malata, too, which does not bode well.

I wonder whose brilliant idea the blue subtitles were???

ByMarkClark.com

#38 Post by ByMarkClark.com » Fri May 04, 2007 2:04 pm

I have the same problem -- intermittant freezing on both discs. Worse on TM&TM than on LIVING COFFIN.

Matt

#39 Post by Matt » Fri May 04, 2007 3:29 pm

If you guys want to send a quick note to Mike Liuzza at CasaNegra to let him know, that would be great: mike.liuzza at casanegraentertainment dot com. He was actually interested to hear of the problem considering the population overlap of CasaNegra buyers and Malata owners must be pretty small.

ByMarkClark.com

#40 Post by ByMarkClark.com » Mon May 07, 2007 1:25 pm

I just traded emails with Mike. Seems like a nice guy. He also seemed pretty exasperated with this issue. Can't say as I blame him. I figure it must be some sort of mastering quirk. It seems to be afflicting Malatas only, which is a bit odd. Especially since my Malata usually plays anything and everything.

Matt

#41 Post by Matt » Mon May 07, 2007 3:24 pm

Yeah, it's a shame because I would imagine a small company like this would not be able to just dump the entire pressing of a disc, repress them, and issue replacements, and they surely would not have the clout to demand that the authoring house or duplicator pick up the tab for it. But the problem itself should be easier to pinpoint and avoid in future releases - just find whatever it was that changed between the mastering of the first several titles and these recent two and "unchange" it. If that means no more blue subtitles, so much the better.

patrick

#42 Post by patrick » Tue May 08, 2007 10:26 am

has anyone else experienced problems with the two most recent CasaNegra releases, The Man and the Monster and The Living Coffin? Both discs have electric blue subtitles (very hard on the eyes) and both skip intermittently on my Malata 520 (but seem to play okay in my iMac DVD drive).
We had to buy a second Witch's Mirror for the store because the first copy we bought just wouldn't play. I haven't had any problems with the other CasaNegra stuff we carry though.

ByMarkClark.com

#43 Post by ByMarkClark.com » Wed May 09, 2007 8:50 am

>>If that means no more blue subtitles, so much the better.<<

Maybe Malatas simply refuse to play blue subtitles!

globalcafe

#44 Post by globalcafe » Wed May 09, 2007 9:38 am

We can only hope that blue subtitles was a absurd experiment. Otherwise I will have to start sharing my Xanax with my malata player :shock:

World of Vampires and The Living Head set for September, 25 2007 release!

Please no "Blue Subs"

Lino

#45 Post by Lino » Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:36 am

DVDManiacs reviews The Man and the Monster.

ByMarkClark.com

#46 Post by ByMarkClark.com » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:29 pm

Over on the CHFB, it was revealed that CasaNegra Entertainment is no more. The label's previously announced DVDs of WORLD OF THE VAMPIRES and THE LIVING HEAD will apparently never be released.

Over the past 18 months, CasaNegra has released several classic Mexican horror films in revelatory, pristine editions: CURSE OF THE CRYING WOMAN, THE VAMPIRE, THE BLACK PIT OF DR. M, THE WITCH'S MIRROR, THE BRAINIAC, etc. Although there were minor issues with its past couple of releases (THE MAN AND THE MONSTER and THE LIVING COFFIN), otherwise the company's track record was spotless. The loss of CasaNegra is lamentable.

It also points to the increasingly tenuous situation for boutique DVD labels. Sadly, this will not be the last such announcement.

Matt

#47 Post by Matt » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:14 pm

Well, I guess that solves my dilemma of whether to continue to buy their discs despite not being able to watch them on my DVD player. Terrible shame, though. Best of luck to those guys.