Flicker Alley

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
hearthesilence

Re: Flicker Alley

#1151 Post by hearthesilence » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:21 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 10:25 pm
I did the same, but also grabbed the Kit Parker set with it. Is that set so poorly received where I should return it?
Unless you got a great deal on it (like half off), I wouldn't keep it. Sons of the Desert is supposed to look good though, but that's only one film, albeit the best feature they made.

I was going to link to some threads at the hometheaterforum, but unfortunately one has been "cleaned up" and another had a revealing screencap that expired (displaying an "x" instead). You can read through this, but the short version is, Robert A. Harris didn't like the Blu-ray release and in his opinion tried to be kind about it. It didn't matter, some people didn't like the opinion and threw insults which led to their posts being taken down. All of this is alluded to in that link, where you can see people coming out and again arguing about the merits of the new release, but from what I remember, it was heavily scrubbed and the people involved didn't deny it and defended their choice.

therewillbeblus

#1152 Post by therewillbeblus » Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:44 pm

I did get it for close to that, but I'll return it. Flicker Alley releasing more volumes is promising - though presumably the rights would be with Kit Parker for those films?

hearthesilence

#1153 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:15 am

therewillbeblus wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:44 pm
I did get it for close to that, but I'll return it. Flicker Alley releasing more volumes is promising - though presumably the rights would be with Kit Parker for those films?
Ugh, I think I spoke too soon. Found this: "I listened to Patrick Vasey's interview with Mr. Bromberg on the L&H podcast, and if I understand correctly, Mr. Bromberg is only going to restore the silent films. A real shame, because he would probably do a much better job on the talkies than those responsible for the digital restoration on the Definitive Collection."

Unless things change, you might as well hold on to it. I went with the DVD set but it's pick your poison - take a big hit in resolution or choose sandblasted hi-def visuals.

unclehulot

#1154 Post by unclehulot » Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:52 pm

Even if one detested the look of the Kit Parker set, wouldn’t the copious extras be worth keeping it for? In any case, it might well be the only show in town for these films for some time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

therewillbeblus

#1155 Post by therewillbeblus » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:20 pm

Yeah, I appreciate you guys steering me back towards keeping it