Artificial Eye / Curzon Film World

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Cinesimilitude

#76 Post by Cinesimilitude » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:10 pm

If you check your order status for the Apu Discs, it should say "Item Will arrive no Later than December 24th", so atleast we have that promise.

zedz

#77 Post by zedz » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:43 pm

SncDthMnky wrote:If you check your order status for the Apu Discs, it should say "Item Will arrive no Later than December 24th", so at least we have that promise.
Merry f**king Christmas!

Lino

#78 Post by Lino » Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:55 pm

Annie Mall wrote:Here's a reply email I received about the upcoming Satyajit Ray's titles:
Many thanks for your inquiry. Yes, we are planning on releasing Days and Nights... and the Chess Players. You will be pleased to know that we are also releasing Devi and Three Daughters as well. I;m afraid at this point that we don't have release dates as of yet or details of any extras. Please refer to our website for up to date release information.

All best wishes,

Joel Kennedy
DVD & Video Department
Artificial Eye
14 King Street
WC2E 8HR
T: 020 7240 5353
F: 020 7240 5242
Fantastic news! I'm yearning for more Ray ever since I saw the Apu trilogy and more recently, The Music Room. If ever there was a master storytelling, he definitely deserves that accolade. Such poetry, such delicate feelings, wonderful, simply wonderful!
The year is almost over and just where are those Ray titles, hey?!

kazantzakis

#79 Post by kazantzakis » Thu Nov 17, 2005 1:21 pm

AE must be doing it on purpose. In a way, they seem to be trying to "pre-book" sales by getting everyone to expect discs that are nowhere near being released. Such as the complete works of Angelopoulos, promised "in the next year" in mid-2004, 14+ months ago...

Oedipax

#80 Post by Oedipax » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:04 pm

zedz wrote:
SncDthMnky wrote:If you check your order status for the Apu Discs, it should say "Item Will arrive no Later than December 24th", so at least we have that promise.
Merry f**king Christmas!
Wow, you guys got screwed. I received mine in the mail this past Tuesday.

mmacklem

#81 Post by mmacklem » Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:20 am

Does anyone have either of the two Jia Zheng-ke AE releases? I have a Chinese release of Platform and the New Yorker release of Unknown Pleasures, but if these ones are better releases then I wouldn't mind picking them up as well.

franco

#82 Post by franco » Sat Nov 19, 2005 4:10 am

I love giving links. Please look here and here and at DVDTimes.

What A Disgrace

#83 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:33 am

Bah. My Apu Trilogy shipment, from Amazon, has been delayed an additional 4-6 weeks, and is no longer promised to me before Christmas. I've decided to combine the order with the AE Tarr set, and push the whole thing out of my mind until I learn that it has shipped.

iangj

#84 Post by iangj » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:33 am

mmacklem wrote:Does anyone have either of the two Jia Zheng-ke AE releases? I have a Chinese release of Platform and the New Yorker release of Unknown Pleasures, but if these ones are better releases then I wouldn't mind picking them up as well.
Platform is sub-standard. No problems with Unknown Pleasures that I noticed - plus its big selling-point is that it comes with the excellent Xiao Wu.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#85 Post by Michael Kerpan » Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:43 am

iangj wrote: {The AE} Platform is sub-standard. No problems with Unknown Pleasures that I noticed - plus its big selling-point is that it comes with the excellent Xiao Wu.
I would agree -- but would note that the Xiao Wu is a bit primitive -- no chapter stops and full-screen format (maybe it was made this way?)

zedz

#86 Post by zedz » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:21 pm

During the recent AE feeding frenzy at Amazon UK, I took the opportunity to order Pialat's Van Gogh. I'm pleased to report that the feature transfer looks superb. If you haven't seen it, the film is a masterpiece, easily a contender for the greatest artist biopic ever made. Like Andrey Rublyov, that genre seems ridiculously cramped for such a great film.

Artificial Eye can be pretty inconsistent, but this is one of the best-looking discs I've seen from them.

porquenegar

#87 Post by porquenegar » Thu Nov 24, 2005 5:05 pm

I got the same 4-6 week delay email for my Amazon UK order. Ridiculous.

solent

#88 Post by solent » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:24 pm

My copy of STALKER will be shipping from Amazon.UK today. I was expecting another 2 weeks to go by before this would move.

reaky

#89 Post by reaky » Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:41 pm

To those waiting for their Artificial Eye DVDs from Amazon, don't despair. I received my APU set today, four and a half weeks after placing the order. Weirdly, they sent me an email yesterday telling me the order would be delayed by some weeks (the third or so email like this I'd received in the past month) and then (after I'd received it) they informed me that it had been despatched. It sounds as though they're playing catch-up, but these orders are eventually getting filled.

kazantzakis

#90 Post by kazantzakis » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:11 pm

I got the shipment email too. Kudos to Amazon...

porquenegar

#91 Post by porquenegar » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:16 pm

"Preparing Items for dispatch". About friggin' time. Hopefully they will arrive before I leave for Christmas vacation.

Titus

#92 Post by Titus » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:28 pm

For those who may be interested, I sent AE an email regarding the rumored Angelopoulos set and got a reply today. They're still working on them, and they're supposedly going to come out in '06--but it will not be a set (12 individual DVDs), and the releases won't be completely simultaneous.

Gordon

#93 Post by Gordon » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:12 pm

I found a listing at Play.com for a Artificial Eye 2-disc set of the silent Louis Feuillade Fantômas films:

Fantômas 2-Disc set

They give a running time of 5 hours 35 minutes. Are all films featured in the set?

- Fantômas - À l'ombre de la guillotine (54 min)
- Juve contre Fantômas (45 min)
- Mort qui tue (90 min)
- Fantômas contre Fantômas (59 min)
- Le Faux magistrat (70 min)

All running times are for the restored versions. 318 minutes in total - 305 minutes in PAL. I guess that - yes - all films are included. The "Who is Fantomas?" documentary by film critic Kim Newman must run 30 minutes.

Kudos to Artificial Eyes for such a bold release! I have always wanted to see these films.

denti alligator

#94 Post by denti alligator » Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:31 pm

And just as I was going to buy the French set. I'm guessing these will be identical (in terms of image), with English subs, of course (meaning: let's hope they use the original French intertitles). Great news! This is one of my all-time favorite films! It's even better than Les Vampires, in my opinion. Now where are Tih Minh and Barrabas?

Yes, Gordon, that's the complete series.

denti alligator

#95 Post by denti alligator » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:34 pm

Excellent news!
Thanks for your email.

Our release of Fantomâs will have French language inter-titles with optional English sub-titles. We have obtained digi betas of the film from Gaumont in Paris, which are clones of those used for Gaumont's own DVD. I'm afraid that I'm not sure exactly how they made their telecine transfer, but I do know that it was taken from the best available film elements and that extensive restoration work was undertaken.

Our DVD will be authored by Stream Digital Media, who are recognised as one of the UK's leading DVD producers, so I'm confident that our release will present the best possible edition of the film.

Best regards,

Steve Lewis
DVD Manager

Arn777

#96 Post by Arn777 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:57 pm

FYI, Gaumont is planning to release Les Vampires sometime in 2006, so AE may also release it later.

denti alligator

#97 Post by denti alligator » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:19 pm

Arn777 wrote:FYI, Gaumont is planning to release Les Vampires sometime in 2006, so AE may also release it later.
Great! Finally, with the original intertitles! Let's hope Judex, Barrabas and Tih Minh are to follow (Gaumont has restored them all, I believe).

And since he was so swift in his reply and friendly, I shot back with more questions. Here's the answer:
We will be releasing Judex & Les Vampires in 2006, although no firm dates have yet been set. We have no plans to release Tih Minh or Barrabas as yet.

Regarding Angelopoulos, we've had trouble getting hold of master
materials of good enough quality, but I hope to start releasing them in the
spring.

Best regards,

Steve Lewis
So there's reason to dispose of the Flicker Alley release of Judex. Good news on the Angelopoulos, too, though we knew about this.
Too bad the two Feuillade serials not available anywhere are not planned for release. :(
I shot off an email to Gaumont (in my very weak French): we'll see what they say.

Gordon

#98 Post by Gordon » Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:31 pm

Restored versions of Les Vampires and Judex would be glorious. Who owns the rights to Judex in the USA?

I never thought that we'd see the complete Fantomas from Artificial Eye before the other Bresson DVDs, though.

denti alligator

#99 Post by denti alligator » Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:21 pm

Gordon McMurphy wrote:Restored versions of Les Vampires and Judex would be glorious. Who owns the rights to Judex in the USA?

I never thought that we'd see the complete Fantomas from Artificial Eye before the other Bresson DVDs, though.
The Flicker Alley release of Judex is the Gaumont restored version, I believe--only they've removed the original intertitles and added some sleak looking crap that's hard on the eyes. I'll be happy to replace this. I'm not sure if the current R1 release of Les Vampires comes from the Gaumont restoration.

Matango

#100 Post by Matango » Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:57 am

Re Amazon...I ordered the AE Dolls and The End of Summer at 7.95 on November 9th...latest revised delivery estimate is now Feb 7th. Both titles are back up to 17.99, with a 1-2 week delivery time. Duh. :x