Deaf Crocodile

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Finch

Re: Deaf Crocodile

#226 Post by Finch » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:43 pm

Responding to a question on the other forum, Craig said there are some bigger items coming in the second half of the year and the UHD release(s) will be dual format.

Finch

#227 Post by Finch » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:47 pm

And Vinegar Syndrome are listing all DC titles except Kin-Dza-Dza! for half price if you check their Going Out Of Print section (same apparently with Altered Innocence).

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#228 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:51 pm

Highly recommend picking up The Tune, which I just spent $8 more on like... a few days ago, which sucks. But it's an excellent release with wonderful Academy restorations of Plympton's Oscar-nommed shorts and the film itself.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#229 Post by swo17 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:00 pm

Those subscription rates are pretty high unless they start doing more releases

Yakushima

#230 Post by Yakushima » Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:07 pm

furbicide wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:09 am
Give me Lopushanskiy or give me death!
(A Muratova set would also be acceptable)
It is Muratova set or death for me, but Lopushanskiy would be sweet too!

Sadly, there is no hint of Muratova - Ukraine was not mentioned in their teaser list of countries. Still, THE SAVAGE HUNT OF KING STAKH announcement is very exciting!

Do temper your expectations; this is no masterpiece on the level of Kin-Dza-Dza. It is still an atmospheric and memorable work with fine performances by Boris Plotnikov and Vladimir Fyodorov (an actor, poet, and nuclear physicist whose most famous role was the villain Turanchoks in Richard Vicktorov's "To the Stars by the Hard Ways").

Yakushima

#231 Post by Yakushima » Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:21 pm

Finch wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:47 pm
And Vinegar Syndrome are listing all DC titles except Kin-Dza-Dza! for half price if you check their Going Out Of Print section (same apparently with Altered Innocence).
Thank you for the heads up, Finch!

I went ahead and ordered Bubble Bath LE, Jack Be Nimble SE (both blind buys), and Kin-Dza-Dza LE, which will be the fourth Kin-Dza-Dza Blu-ray in my collection (the other three are Russian, German, and Japanese).

I hope the DC's version of Kin-Dza-Dza will be the finest thanks to David Mackenzie's authoring.

therewillbeblus

#232 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:01 pm

Is there anything not worth getting from VS right now? Or any titles in particular that people are hyped on, other than what's been mentioned today

AxeYou

#233 Post by AxeYou » Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:14 pm

I wonder where Deaf Crocodile will be pressing their discs going forward. I don’t think VS/OCN presses at the dreaded Mexican replicator, because I’ve never received a scratched disc from them.

zedz

#234 Post by zedz » Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:16 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:01 pm
Is there anything not worth getting from VS right now? Or any titles in particular that people are hyped on, other than what's been mentioned today
I just did a sweep of the Deaf Crocodile titles I didn't have in the sale, because everything I've seen on the label has been worth a punt (especailly at half price). The Shahram Mokri box is the jewel in their crown to date, so grab it while you can, everybody.

TechnicolorAcid

#235 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:21 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:01 pm
I’d say to try and hold your breath for some of the slower selling titles which look to be World War III, Bubble Bath, and Benny’s Bathtub (there’s also Kin Dza Dza but I imagine it will start selling quicker once it becomes half off). Personal recommendations from their lineup are Mysterious Castle in the Carpathians, ZeroGrad, and Time of Roses, all still in stock and great films.

TechnicolorAcid

#236 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:48 pm

For the record, these titles are only leaving the Vinegar Syndrome site, they will still be available as per Craig on the other forum:
All of our titles will continue to be available through our own shop and DiabolikDVD. We'll also be supplying other online retailers with our back catalog and future standard editions.

TechnicolorAcid

#237 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:13 pm

Felidae is Coming Soon Based Off This Image Posted on Twitter
And per Mr. Crocodile himself:
Deaf Crocodile wrote:German kitties in 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision is coming...

Boosmahn

#238 Post by Boosmahn » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:36 pm

I've been wanting to watch Felidae for years!

Finch

#239 Post by Finch » Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:13 pm

Aside from Felidae, King Stakh and the already announced Adela Has Had No Supper Yet, DC hinted at those on youtube:

Khitrovka The Sign of Four
The Outcasts (1982)

interview with DC and Diabolik's Jesse

knives

#240 Post by knives » Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:47 pm

TechnicolorAcid wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:13 pm
Felidae is Coming Soon Based Off This Image Posted on Twitter
And per Mr. Crocodile himself:
Deaf Crocodile wrote:German kitties in 4K/HDR/Dolby Vision is coming...
That’s real exciting. I’ve only seen the English dub, but it’s such a great oddity.

TechnicolorAcid

#241 Post by TechnicolorAcid » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:33 pm

Finch wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:13 pm
Aside from Felidae, King Stakh and the already announced Adela Has Had No Supper Yet, DC hinted at those on youtube:

Khitrovka The Sign of Four
The Outcasts (1982)

interview with DC and Diabolik's Jesse
Alongside “Trapped Ashes” which was produced and written (in part) by one of the company’s founders. Also Khitrovka was already announced if memory serves correct.

MichaelB

#242 Post by MichaelB » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:06 am

They also obliquely hinted at Lemonade Joe in a Facebook post, which wouldn’t be the tiniest bit surprising - even if they hadn’t already released an Oldřich Lipský film (and with another confirmed for certain), it could hardly be a more perfect fit for them.

therewillbeblus

#243 Post by therewillbeblus » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:59 am

Savage Hunt of King Stakh takes a similar approach to folklore that McCabe & Mrs. Miller did to westerns: Does myth pale in comparison to reality when nakedly facing life’s harsh meaning, and yet also enrich history to give us both pleasure and meaning - and isn’t pleasure part of the meaning of life? I thought a bit of Marketa Lazarová too, especially that first question - only that film’s second question pointed to an inevitability, and organic nature of socialization to create stories, myths, fiction, to.. simply create, together. That’s what we do when we communicate at all. It pointed to the loneliness and tragedy of being alone with, or blind to spiritual solutions, and posited if this was man's organic or conditioned nature and fatalistic yielding a result of increased alienation borne from fear. It was a richer film for it.

Anyways, this film doesn’t seem to be doing that. It’s far more cynical about folklore’s utility, I think, and yet it exists as a cinematic offering of fiction itself. Like Prague Nights, I’m not sure I gel well with spacious, loose Czech folklore. If that film was comprised of short segments that each felt either vacuous or missing opportunities to realise their potential, this just feels like a longer version of that: something that could be leaner without losing any content and still gradually establish a dominant, potent tone, or retain its epic scope but fill it with.. well, simply 'more' material. The last act has some gems, but it mostly played as a collection of singular, inconsistently-engaging moments rather than a cumulative experience for me. That often makes films less memorable and yields low motivation to return - I hope that doesn’t happen here, because I’m very curious to see how this will play restored.

What A Disgrace

#244 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:29 am

MichaelB wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:06 am
They also obliquely hinted at Lemonade Joe in a Facebook post, which wouldn’t be the tiniest bit surprising - even if they hadn’t already released an Oldřich Lipský film (and with another confirmed for certain), it could hardly be a more perfect fit for them.
It would be amazing if I went from seeing zero Oldřich Lipský Films in 2023 to seeing perhaps his four best films in 2024.