Diskino's World Cinema Library Series

Milestone, Flicker Alley, Oscilloscope, Cinema Guild...they're all here.
swo17

Diskino's World Cinema Library

#51 Post by swo17 » Wed May 08, 2019 2:19 pm

We'd been talking about this young, impressive label in the Chinese Cinema thread but they've put out a fair amount of classic Hollywood cinema as well. All very lavish editions with extremely limited print runs. You can see their releases to date here, most of which have quickly sold out.

These Hitchcocks look tantalizing:

Glowingwabbit

Re: Diskino's World Cinema Library

#52 Post by Glowingwabbit » Wed May 08, 2019 2:47 pm

I already posted about it in the Chinese DVD forum, but since it's hard to figure out where to pre-order these titles from I highly recommend Media Psychos. It's a drawn out process involving several steps, but I took a chance on them for The Horse Thief and the packaging they use for shipping is the best I've seen. The members are also super friendly and helpful which I hadn't expected.

I just wanted to repeat all that so people don't have to pay $150-300 for these titles afterwards.

swo17

#53 Post by swo17 » Wed May 08, 2019 2:51 pm

Yes, I just joined their group buy for King of the Children to avoid future walletache

whaleallright

#54 Post by whaleallright » Wed May 08, 2019 6:30 pm

it's been fascinating to me to see how the market for luxuries in China (itself a product of the incredible growth of their economy in the Deng and post-Deng eras) has spread to cultural goods like boutique Blu-Ray labels, branded art cinemas, etc.. it was not that long ago that, in relation to home video at least, China was known primarily for being the world's most prolific source of bootlegs. I suppose something similar happened in Taiwan, albeit more gradually and on a much smaller scale.

Luke M

Re: Diskino's World Cinema Library Series

#55 Post by Luke M » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:20 pm

Got 2nd shipping invoice for The Black Cannon Incident today. I'm hopeful they'll be shipping it out soon.

The Fanciful Norwegian

Re: Diskino's World Cinema Library Series

#56 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:11 pm

I got it late last week and haven't popped it in the player yet, but it's a typically lovely set and one of the booklets has an interesting English-language essay from scholar Chris Berry on his experience subtitling the original export prints. (Berry thinks it was the first time in China that a native English speaker worked directly with native Chinese speakers to craft the subtitles, as opposed to the standard practice of having ESL speakers on the studio payroll do a draft translation and then hand it off to native-speaking foreigners for revision; very often the foreigners in question weren't Chinese speakers and they would never have any contact with the original translators. I should say the same basic method is still prevalent to this day, and not just in China.)